#81 Posted : 01 December 2012 23:27:16

Groups: Registered

der Gohfelder wrote:
Nice datails, thanks a lot!

Regards, (also) Bernd

You're welcome, (also) Bernd!
Gandale
#82 Posted : 02 December 2012 22:46:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Bernd, I can only describe your build as simply stunning and insprirational.... loving following your progress....BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan
jase
#83 Posted : 03 December 2012 14:01:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Wow, my hat off to you what a terific peice of work love the scroll work what a great ideaDrool
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Hans
#84 Posted : 04 December 2012 09:24:13

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Exceptional clean build there Bernd. Wonderful attention to detail. Well done. Will be following with great interest. Love your enhancements
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
Bernd
#85 Posted : 07 December 2012 00:33:55

Hi, shipmates,

thank you for your friendly comments.
Presently, I am shaping masts and yards and attaching blocks etc., closely following the instructions - so there is nothing to show in photos that hasn't been shown before.
But meanwhile, I can tell you what I did a few months ago. Let me continue where I left off.

Right behind the pin rail on the quarterdeck is the opening for the companionway.

Here I inserted a custom built ladder with 9 steps (more comfortable for a scaled-down Admiral Nelson)

The pillars are carved from a 2x2 mm woodstrip. (I do not particularly like the bulky form of the pillars provided with the kit.)

Moreover, I added nailheads and the nets as decorative elements.

Finally, I built the handrails from brass wire

Kind regards,
Bernd
MWG
#86 Posted : 07 December 2012 01:54:06

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Bernd, A-MAZ-INGDrool Kind regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Tomick
#87 Posted : 07 December 2012 08:51:13

Groups:

Well done Bernd, I can't wait to see the end result Cool
saintsman123
#88 Posted : 07 December 2012 12:53:28

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

yet more fantasic work bernd. sehr gutBigGrin Love
Come on you Jimmies
Bernd
#89 Posted : 07 December 2012 22:40:21

Having completed the quarterdeck companionway, I added some details on the fore deck:
the three gratings and the galley chimney

My gratings have been sanded down for a rounded shape.

As I plan to use smaller belaye pins (thanks to Mike), I felt no need to replace the pin rail posts with higher ones. There should be enough room for tying knots.

The chimney is turned brass, cut into two halves at 45 degrees and glued together to form a right angle. I thought the one provided with the kit was to slim.

I know, the chimney should be totally black, but I thought the thin brass stripes would look nice.

der Gohfelder
#90 Posted : 07 December 2012 22:43:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice ideas and perfect built! Congratulation!

Regards, Bernd
Bernd
#91 Posted : 07 December 2012 22:50:38

For some reason, I had issue no 58 twice, so I had enough parts to build a second skylight like the one on the poop deck, but what should I do with it?
It might seem strange, but I cut it into halves to make it smaller:

and added a bottom which I painted black on the upper side

Next I placed some wood-strips into the quarter deck opening

Then I applied plenty of PVA glue to the bottom of the "semi-skylight" and let it glide down the woodstrips.
When the glue was still wet it was easy to shift it into the right position.
All this would have been much easier, had I thought of it earlier...

Actually, it is quite dark there, but I cut a hole into the deck under the first grating, so a little light can shine through.
Therefore you can see it even if there is no direct light:

What I tried to model is the galley skylight.
On the following image of the battery deck it can be seen right in front of the gratings and behind the chimney:

Gandale
#92 Posted : 08 December 2012 00:22:04

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Ouch.... my jaw hurts from hitting the deck in awe of your build..... love it....Drool

Regards

Alan
Bernd
#93 Posted : 09 December 2012 22:08:59

An amusing image, Alan, thank you!

Greetings from Austria,
Bernd
Bernd
#94 Posted : 09 December 2012 22:11:26

My next project were the hand rails next to the quarter deck opening. I first tried an all-metal solution

But I didn't like the style of the handrails of the stairs - it's kind of a modern design which doesn't really belong to the Victory.

In the end I decided to replace the brass handrails by ropes. This is how it looks now:

mark 2
#95 Posted : 09 December 2012 22:47:22

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Bernd.
The rope looks far better.
You was right to use the rope.
Fantastic as allways.
Best regards.
Mark
Gaz
#96 Posted : 09 December 2012 23:28:54

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Wow a fantastic build you have there. Keep up the good work. Look forward to seeing more of your work.
Gareth
Completed models,Hachette Titanic.Deags. Hms Victory. Hachette Hems Hood.Ongoing builds. Deags Akagi,Deags Sovereign of the Seas,Deags Spitfire,On my wish list.Yamato.Royal Navy world war 2 aircraft carrier.
Hans
#97 Posted : 10 December 2012 08:48:42

Brilliant, brilliant build you have there Bernd. I particularly like your enhancements. It makes her unique to you. Well done.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
Bernd
#98 Posted : 19 December 2012 00:39:09

Dear all, thank you for the nice comments!

Here are some more details for the quarter deck:

The guns are routine work by now

I used 2mm blocks for the rigging

I had to make the guns aim slightly downwards, otherwise the barrels would have been a little too high in relation to the gun ports

There was not enough room in front of the cabin walls, so I omitted the blocks there (they can't be seen anyway). I will place a fake rope there later to simulate the rigging.

Greetings from Austria,
Bernd
Bernd
#99 Posted : 19 December 2012 00:40:12

Next, I built the ladders to the poop deck and added the details for the inner bulwarks

I already told you about the binnacle (page 1 of my diary)

Finally, an overview of the bulwark, for comparison with the original

Bernd
#100 Posted : 19 December 2012 00:41:54

Further details for the poop deck ladders: I replaced the brass stanchions by pillars carved from boxwood

and added a wooden handrail

For the other side of the ladder I tried to insert eyebolts

But I wasn't quite happy with the big eyes of the eyebolts. Here is my present version of the ladders, I think I can live with it