Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

40 Pages 123>»
MWG build diary of HMS Sovereign of the Seas Options
MWG
#1 Posted : 22 August 2012 19:48:10

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi Team,

This is where I will chronicle my build of this iconic ship, the famous fore runner to HMS VICTORY.

MR T`s Official Build and Deagostini`s Official Annoucement has given the History and preamble to this famous ship.

All that is left for me to say is see you again on the 29th of AugustBigGrin Kind regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

MWG
#2 Posted : 25 August 2012 20:21:28

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

ENHANCEMENTS

Hi Team, I have been digging for more information on this great ship, and based on what I now know there are some great enhancments that I will be adding to my build.

Having seen models with sails they obscure the detail from the deck and rigging in general, when I look at Malds build of the Victory, at the moment there are no sails and the detail on his deck is for all to see wonderful!o at best I will may have furled sails or none at allBigGrin

I have sourced some very thin gold wire which I will be using on my build, plus some really fantastic gold leaf,which will be fitted to metal and wood alike(although there is a process to be followed before wood will accept it) Have a look:-
MWG attached the following image(s):
SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS 001.jpg
SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS 002.jpg
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Ger C
#3 Posted : 26 August 2012 13:47:21

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Mike,

looks like you are about to start an epic build, looking forward to see what you are planning to doCool
MWG
#4 Posted : 28 August 2012 10:45:50

Ger C wrote:
Hi Mike,

looks like you are about to start an epic build, looking forward to see what you are planning to doCool

Hi Ger thanks for your comments, I am looking forward to this oneBigGrin Regards Mike

MWG
#5 Posted : 28 August 2012 21:44:48

TOOLS and THINGYMAJIGS

Hi Team I have been thinking of members who will be building the SOTS, and it will be their first period ship build.

With those people in mind, I have attempted to itemise some of the tools and ancillary products that they will need to complete their build, this is not an exhaustive list and many of you will use different items to my preffered choice.

What I am attempting to do is navigate them through the minefield of tools that are out there and help them to keep it SIMPLE I am not going to talk about lathes and Miniature model drills, because I believe the idea of using them not to mention the cost, can put a new person off, the use of these may come later in their modelling career.

So here goes:-

MWG
#6 Posted : 28 August 2012 21:45:17

TOOLS

Here is my list:-

1 Razor Saw - for cutting planks requiring thin cuts
2 Mitre Block (Aluminium)
3 Pin Puch x 2 for fixing planks with brass pins
4 Swan Morton scalpel - a good quality model knife
5 A Budget Kife for rough work
6 A micro drill with micro bits from 1/2 mm
7 Dress makers pins useful for fixing planks in awkward corners
SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS 008.jpg

MWG
#7 Posted : 28 August 2012 21:54:43

TOOLS

1 Finger sanding block
2 Emery boards - used by people to shape their finger nails only .35p for 6
3 A handle with various files
4 Single files
SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS 009.jpg

MWG
#8 Posted : 28 August 2012 21:59:22

CLAMPS

Various clamps all sizes
SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS 011.jpg

MWG
#9 Posted : 28 August 2012 22:01:24

TOOLS

1 Electronic Caliper A little luxury no not when you are wanting specific thicknesses of planks, this can be purchased quite cheaply from Lidl from time to time

2 Various tweezers
3 A steel rule
4 Micro pliers
SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS 012.jpg

MWG
#10 Posted : 28 August 2012 22:07:08

CUTTING MAT

A must a good quality cutting mat
SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS 013.jpg

MWG
#11 Posted : 28 August 2012 22:08:56

ADHESIVES

1 Evo-Stick water proof wood glue
2 Thick super glue (this contains rubber and is shock proof0
3 Serious Glue gives you 5 mins of adjusting time
4 Coctail sticks for applying small amounts of adhesive
SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS 005.jpg

MWG
#12 Posted : 28 August 2012 22:13:47

FINISHING PRODUCTS

1 Ronseal matt water based varnish - seals final stain ao paint work
2 Sanding Sealer - seals sanded finished wood
3 Various Ronseal fillers for those little mistakes and for when the Hull has to be super smooth
SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS 006.jpg

MWG
#13 Posted : 28 August 2012 22:18:47

FINISHING PRODUCTS

Deagostini have a great pack of paints for sale, I know the manufacturer took samples of the paint from the actual HMS Victory and developed the paint from the pigment
SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS 007.jpg

MWG
#14 Posted : 28 August 2012 22:22:41

FINISHING PRODUTS

Finaly dont forget paint brushes, masking tape and more coloured pins.

I hope this information has been useful. wit what I have shown you you will be able to complete a period ship build, without expensive equipement.BigGrin

Question and comments welcomeBigGrin Regards Mike
SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS 010.jpg

mark 2
#15 Posted : 29 August 2012 07:02:01

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Mike.
Thats a great list you have there Cool.
Very helpful indeed and will help a lot of new builders BigGrin .
Well done and very best regards my friend.
Mark
MWG
#16 Posted : 29 August 2012 09:51:48

ISSUE ONE

Hi Team Its here!!!! on time, what a great presentationBigGrin Drool look at this:-
SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS 014.jpg
SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS 015.jpg
SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS 016.jpg

Hans
#17 Posted : 29 August 2012 09:52:28

Hi Mike.
A good comprehensive list. I have just realised how during the Victory build, my tool list has increased.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
MWG
#18 Posted : 29 August 2012 09:54:39

ISSUE ONE

And the Magazine is very comprehensive and well produced:-
SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS 020.jpg
SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS 021.jpg

MWG
#19 Posted : 29 August 2012 09:57:06

ISSUE ONE

Wow!!! I love the poster we receive of the shipDrool :-
SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS 019.jpg

MWG
#20 Posted : 29 August 2012 10:04:35

ISSUE ONE

The parts are great:-

We receive:-

1 The Bow false keel
2 The forward Bulkhead
3 Bow Former supports
4 Bow formers x 2
5 A Gun Carriage complete with wheels,eyebolts,blocks, wheel axle, Trunnion cap squares and Barrel
6 Brown cotton thread
7 Steel wire
SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS 018.jpg
SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS 017.jpg