Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Neil Armstrong Options
Tomick
#1 Posted : 26 August 2012 16:31:57

Groups:

Neil Armstrong was indeed a man with remarkable talent and great achievement.

I heard the statement written by his family; very appropriate, and moving without being sentimental, here's the last few lines:

“While we mourn the loss of a very good man, we also celebrate his remarkable life and hope that it serves as an example to young people around the world to work hard to make their dreams come true, to be willing to explore and push the limits, and to selflessly serve a cause greater than themselves.
For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink.”

I'll be doing that, Sir!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkqxfpc_Ido
jonny7england
#2 Posted : 26 August 2012 17:54:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

What a statement for a truly great man who really Slipped the surly bonds of earth and gone where no man had gone before!! I sat up and watched the moon landing back in 1969 on a twelve inch black and white TV screen and like millions of viewers I held my breath as Neil stepped off the lem and made that now famous phrase one small step for man, which really was a giant leap for mankind...Rest in peace Neil Armstrong, may your light be a beacon for all those that follow in your footsteps...
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
Ger C
#3 Posted : 26 August 2012 22:35:48

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Silent_Running
#4 Posted : 27 August 2012 09:51:15

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

jonny7england wrote:
What a statement for a truly great man who really Slipped the surly bonds of earth and gone where no man had gone before!! I sat up and watched the moon landing back in 1969 on a twelve inch black and white TV screen and like millions of viewers I held my breath as Neil stepped off the lem and made that now famous phrase one small step for man, which really was a giant leap for mankind...Rest in peace Neil Armstrong, may your light be a beacon for all those that follow in your footsteps...

I know exactly what you mean John, I was only 5 years old and cannot remember watching this life changing event. Even though I was allowed to stay up late to watch, I used to sneak down to the lounge when my parents had gone to bed so I could carry on watching the later moon landings. It started a fascination with spacecraft and astronauts that has prevailed to this day.

Neil was a member of an exclusive NASA club, he was one of he original astronauts who was there at the very beginning, what NASA called 'the right stuff'. It's also a quirky fact that the Apollo space programme had a better safety record than the shuttle.

Going into space is never routine, and you will always be 'the best of the best'. The stars will always shine forever and we honour your memory sir.
Dontshootme
#5 Posted : 27 August 2012 10:38:54

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

A great man & a sad loss to the world.
I was 5 at the time same as silent running,but strangely for them my parents were forward thinking back thenBlink & I was allowed to watch it if I could stay awake.I am so glad that they did, it was the first of many historical events that have occured in my lifetime & I feel proud to say "I can remember that,I saw it"
RIP Neil Armstrong
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae