Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

21 Pages <1234>»
Karl's Sovereign of the Seas Options
Blackspear
#21 Posted : 27 September 2012 07:37:07

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Really looking good Karl, with the Titanic restoration, you must have your hands full.

Craig
Rick57
#22 Posted : 27 September 2012 13:37:21

Hey there Karl, You gave me help with my Cutty Sark a couple of years ago, do you remember? Well I am back and collecting the Sovereign, but not starting it yet as I am doing a high spec Victory, got it elsewhere though, cost me £524:00 and taken me 4 months so far. Your SOTS is looking good, my friend, oh by the way, I ain't working anymore and I have lost my license all due to ill health, been a while now but I am getting there.
Here's hoping you are well Karl

Rick
H.M.S. Cutty Sark
F1 McLaren
Lancaster bomber
H.M.S. Victory
Sovereign of the seas

karl1113
#23 Posted : 27 September 2012 14:11:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

hi rick,very sorry to hear your a bit off,keep taking the pills and chin up mate,don't forget we are here to help,good luck and good health,cheers mate.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
IAN
#24 Posted : 27 September 2012 15:36:23

Hi Karl..

Soverein of the Sea build is looking great, i think the new build start is on of the most exciting parts.
Keep the pics comming its firing the enthusiasm to make a start.

Best regards,
Ian
Ian
Builds in progress: E-type, HMS Victory, HMS Endeavour, HMS Soverein of the Seas
Wish list: Bentley Blower
http://forum.model-space...spx?g=posts&m=30439
http://mxpublishing.co.uk/engine/shop/product/9781780920184/Hunt+for+the+Blower+Bentley
Rick57
#25 Posted : 28 September 2012 21:57:52

karl1113 wrote:
hi rick,very sorry to hear your a bit off,keep taking the pills and chin up mate,don't forget we are here to help,good luck and good health,cheers mate.

Thanks matey
H.M.S. Cutty Sark
F1 McLaren
Lancaster bomber
H.M.S. Victory
Sovereign of the seas

karl1113
#26 Posted : 17 October 2012 14:10:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

week 7, SETTING UP THE JIG>Instructions on how to level up everything in readiness to planking and rib set-up.
I like others started on the jig some weeks ago,and got our bit and pieces ready to install.I was using an old board that I used on other ships.I wasn't happy with the drawing down the middle of the board as I didn.t have a long enough straight edge,so I scratched me 'ed a bit and came up with the solution.I marked out the bracket positions between the ribs.and duly leveled the board and CHECKED the squareness of the brackets.Get yourself one of those spirit levels from the pound shop you will need it.

I then screwed the brackets level with the edge of the board,(no need to draw a line that way.)and then with a square I checked that the brackets were upright.then I placed the keel tight up to the first row of brackets,and marked the second row and screwed them in.then I placed the keel in the brackets and checked that all was true,(I did have to adjust two of the brackets that slipped through the quality control.)and then added the last piece of the keel.now before I start adding the ribs ,out come the spirit level,MOST important that you do this,the ribs are possibly the whole heart of the build,get this stage right,you will have a much smoother run with the rest.

the next part of this tutorial will follow shortly,If you have any questions please ask only too happy to answer.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

karl1113
#27 Posted : 17 October 2012 14:18:15

as this flyer came in this weeks issue I will omit this rib until I get a replacement.

karl1113
#28 Posted : 17 October 2012 14:38:25

you can see how I install the ribs,making sure you use the spirit level on all ribs,the ribs should slide in there grooves fairly easily,so adjustment will be necessary.I had to file all the ribs slightly.I use a square bracket to clamp to the rib and keel.and the spirit level while the glue dries.

karl1113
#29 Posted : 17 October 2012 18:10:58

note the straight edge on the ribs,there is NO slope or curve on this model unlike the victory.the flat part of the ribs are spirit levelled and straight edged for accuracy.

Gandale
#30 Posted : 17 October 2012 20:12:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Informative as always Karl, thanks for all the tips....

Alan
claret
#31 Posted : 18 October 2012 13:20:40

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Karl,

Some great tips for us newbies, I will be starting the false keel and rib formers assembly this weekend and taking your ideas on board ( sorry for the Pun)LOL

Regards
Claret

Also working on:
SOTS.
Moebius 1/32 Flying Sub with PE & lights.

Waiting in the wings:
Polarlights Spindrift from Land of the Giants.

finished:
007 Iconic DB5.
karl1113
#32 Posted : 18 October 2012 13:29:38

hi gents,that what this forum is for,enjoy and good luck.

karl1113
#33 Posted : 18 October 2012 16:51:10

having glued the available ribs,and checking each one for level/squareness.
rib number 20,21,22,the deck level starts to rise slightly towards the stern.

karl1113
#34 Posted : 18 October 2012 16:59:25

tf64
#35 Posted : 18 October 2012 18:56:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Karl,
Good stuff keep it coming.

trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

jonny7england
#36 Posted : 18 October 2012 19:03:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking great Karl...I hope to get down to making a start and adding the frames to the false keel this weekend? Keep the pictures coming mate...
Wink ThumpUp
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
karl1113
#37 Posted : 11 November 2012 15:39:46

karl1113
#38 Posted : 11 November 2012 15:45:53

not worth laying the one plank so waiting for next week.

MWG
#39 Posted : 11 November 2012 17:48:37

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Karl, Good job of the Balsa infillsBigGrin Regards MikeCool
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Gandale
#40 Posted : 11 November 2012 23:17:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Very nice Karl, following your work with interest.....

Alan