Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Stain and varnish Options
RobT
#1 Posted : 05 September 2012 00:54:47

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

I know this is beginners stuff, but I went into B&Q tonight and was a bit bewildered and ended up walking out with nothing but a pot of the clear varnish suggested in MWG's build.

What exactly is the difference between the two?

Supposing I actually want to change the colour of the wood, do I use varnish or stain or both? Also, do I need a primer when staining, or is it straight on?

I feel pretty confident with everything else about this going forward, just the woodcare is confusing me slightly.

Thanks.
philjaps1
#2 Posted : 05 September 2012 01:25:45

Groups:

Hi,

you're best of going for an "all in one" that stains and varnishes at the same time I would recommend using the Dulux woodsheen range my personal choices are Natural Beach, Church Oak, Antique pine walnut and instead of painting wood black - Ebony

You don't need to do anything with the wood with this range - you just apply straight on.

The clear varnish that you've picked up won't alter the colour of the wood but it will protect it and adds a shine

Another option is to use Danish oils.....

Cheers Phil,
karl1113
#3 Posted : 05 September 2012 09:44:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

hi rob,their is a bewildering array of stuff out there,I have used all sorts myself,but by far the easiest to use is Danish oil,just follow instructions on the tin,I use walnut,canadian cedar and oak,if you use a brush you just clean it in a mild soapy water,or you just use a cotton rag with a cotton wool ball soaked in what colour you need and apply.two coats,allow to dry for two hours and wipe off excess.leave a further 24hrs.
and clear water based varnish afterwards.job done. good luck and enjoy.btw danish oil contains linseed oil,you remember we used it for cricket bats,so when your model is finished,you can always use it to play a game of cricket with?Cool Flapper
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
Tomick
#4 Posted : 05 September 2012 12:02:02

Groups:

Be wary that some wood stains are a solid pigment and others are penetrating, the latter of which tend to also blead along the wood grain which is bad news if you don't want the stain to go beyond a certain point.

A safer alternative is an all in one such as what 'philjaps1' has recommended in the finish type you are wanting (matt, satin or gloss), and if its varnish also consider the finish you are looking for in terms of being a matt, satin or gloss finish.
philjaps1
#5 Posted : 05 September 2012 12:25:56

Groups:

karl1113 wrote:
so when your model is finished,you can always use it to play a game of cricket with?Cool Flapper

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Nice one mate,

Phil,
RobT
#6 Posted : 05 September 2012 13:57:32

karl1113 wrote:
hi rob,their is a bewildering array of stuff out there,I have used all sorts myself,but by far the easiest to use is Danish oil,just follow instructions on the tin,I use walnut,canadian cedar and oak,if you use a brush you just clean it in a mild soapy water,or you just use a cotton rag with a cotton wool ball soaked in what colour you need and apply.two coats,allow to dry for two hours and wipe off excess.leave a further 24hrs.
and clear water based varnish afterwards.job done. good luck and enjoy.btw danish oil contains linseed oil,you remember we used it for cricket bats,so when your model is finished,you can always use it to play a game of cricket with?Cool Flapper

Do you know a good place for this online? I'm finding it a little difficult to track down.
karl1113
#7 Posted : 05 September 2012 14:15:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

hi rob,bought all mine at b&q.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
RobT
#8 Posted : 08 September 2012 21:30:07

Been shopping and hopefully have myself sorted. Luckily my Dad who is a chippie, had an unopened walnut wood dye in his shed and it is fine. Also got some teak and dark oak wood dye along with some canadian cedar danish oil. And finished off with clear matt varnish and multi surface primer.

Unexpectedly heavy on the wallet this hobby. Although I hazard a guess that due to the size of the parts, it lasts a long, long time.

arpurchase
#9 Posted : 09 September 2012 01:32:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi RobT
yes the initial spend can be a little steep cashwise but the coverage of what you have will last for several builds,its the same with tools if you buy good quality from the start they last for years.Another tip is to invest in a good set of permagrit sanding tools as this will save a fortune in sandpapers but i would only recomend buying these if you intend to carry on with builds after the SoS.Hope this helps
regards
Andy
Cool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

farrabass
#10 Posted : 09 September 2012 01:53:21

Groups:

RobT wrote:
Been shopping and hopefully have myself sorted. Luckily my Dad who is a chippie, had an unopened walnut wood dye in his shed and it is fine. Also got some teak and dark oak wood dye along with some canadian cedar danish oil. And finished off with clear matt varnish and multi surface primer.

Unexpectedly heavy on the wallet this hobby. Although I hazard a guess that due to the size of the parts, it lasts a long, long time.

And if you have a spare afternoon My wife would like the conservatory bringing back to life!!!
Thats a lifetimes supply you have there. Steve..
MWG
#11 Posted : 09 September 2012 02:49:22

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Rob T Good Stuff!!! you have purchasedBigGrin Kind Regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

coolbanana
#12 Posted : 10 September 2012 21:49:29

philjaps1 wrote:
Hi,

you're best of going for an "all in one" that stains and varnishes at the same time I would recommend using the Dulux woodsheen range my personal choices are Natural Beach, Church Oak, Antique pine walnut and instead of painting wood black - Ebony

You don't need to do anything with the wood with this range - you just apply straight on.

The clear varnish that you've picked up won't alter the colour of the wood but it will protect it and adds a shine

Another option is to use Danish oils.....

Cheers Phil,

Hi Phil. Great suggestion thanks. I'm considering going the all in one route for painting the base of the canons like it appears in the advertised version here

http://www.model-space.c...ign-of-the-seas/details

I have a few questions though. What finish is best for this : satin, gloss or matt and
would you need to apply a primer before using all in one and lastly what "colour" would be best to make it look as authentic as possible? I couldn't find any info yet on what types of wood were used to make the cannon bases though i would assume english oak? Thanks for the advise. It is appreciated.