Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

16 Pages «<34567>»
Jonny's Sovereign Options
arpurchase
#81 Posted : 16 April 2014 17:55:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Well done Jonny nice to see you back on the old girlCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

jonny7england
#82 Posted : 18 April 2014 18:08:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hello there shipmates...I promised another update on my progress so here it is. Continuing with where I left off, I added a few more layers of planking...I found many planks of varying widths and thicknesses and colour, but picking the best, I plodded on. So here are some more pictures..
Blink
jonny7england attached the following image(s):
Planking 7.JPG
Planking 10.JPG
Planking 11.JPG
Planking 13.JPG
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
birdaj2
#83 Posted : 18 April 2014 21:25:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Jonny

Really pleased to see your back Into your stride and pressing on with your build.

You have pulled a potential show stopper with that frame back on track brilliantly.

Looking forward to seeing more of your build over the coming weeks.

Regards

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
KobusBeukes
#84 Posted : 18 April 2014 21:48:20

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Jonny

Good to see you back! Laugh

Like Alan has said before, this is not a race, take your time and complete your build. I'm about 12 weeks behind because I deviated from the second planking and are cutting my own planks.

Enjoy the build!Drool

Regards
Kobus

Current Build
HMS Sovereign of the Seas - First Build
jonny7england
#85 Posted : 19 April 2014 15:48:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Back again shipmates with yet another posting of my build diary fetching it up to date (well, as near as damn it???)and then I can continue with a regular posting from here on in...
BigGrin
At this point, I must explain my position...I have very limited mobility and work from my wheelchair..in this position I am able to lay the build upon my lap and work from there. As I was in the process of completing all of the planking below the lower gun deck, I must have applied too much downward pressure while working and accidentally snapped a good 10mm or so from the tops of rib 15..Yes..another setback struck again!!!!
OhMyGod Cursing Crying Crying
To remedy this, I cut a 12mm strip of scrap wood off of the fret that rib 15 first came from tidied the top of the broken rib 15 and glued the scrap 12mm part onto rib 15.

Rib Fix 1.JPG
Rib Fix 2.JPG
Planking 14.JPG
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
jase
#86 Posted : 19 April 2014 16:06:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking good Jonny - does three weetabix have the same effect as three shredded wheatConfused

strip sorter is a great ideaCool
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
GluedFingers
#87 Posted : 19 April 2014 16:13:57

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

A GREAT idea with your toiletroll-holders, John! ThumpUpThumpUpThumpUp

Unfortunately we don't do weetabix here at home. But I'm pretty sure I can find a replacement. BigGrin

Smile

Thanks again,

Adrie.
'Where to glue or where not to glue, that is the question'

Building: Hr. Ms. de Ruyter (card), Retourschip Batavia (Revell), HMS Surprise (De Agostini)
Built (and sunk): Too many to list
jonny7england
#88 Posted : 19 April 2014 17:28:20

Thank you my friends...Surprising what you can do with ordiary household rubbish...
Blink Blink
Now here are some pictures of my build to date..All I have to do is the sanding of the hull to prepare it for the next stage...

Planking 15.JPG
Planking 16.JPG
stevie_o
#89 Posted : 19 April 2014 17:52:05

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Gandale
#90 Posted : 19 April 2014 22:27:46

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Jonny, some really nice work there, the planking is looking spot on....Cool Cool .. Love your idea for strip holders, I use empty pringle tubes taped together, same idea and very effective for storing strips... Cool Cool .. I also have to tip my hat to you mate..... how you can work from a wheelchair with this beast sitting on your lap and produce the results you do is simply mind boggling.... especially when later in the build you start adding all the fiddly intricate pieces....Cool Cool .. credit to you, keep up the great work.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
George1
#91 Posted : 30 April 2014 10:02:24

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Jonny

Your build looking really great. Cool Cool

I hope I'm as successful regarding your planking.BigGrin

Getting closer to the day when an issue has planking within.BigGrin

Regards

George1
Building HMS SOTS
George1
#92 Posted : 06 July 2014 03:01:21

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Jonny. BigGrin

Came in to check out "bull clips" as per your reply my thread. Cool Cool

Now I know what they are and description. Thanks mate. Cool Cool

Just a further query; Re the stern fill-in; The top plank bow to stern to be level with the top plank of stern fill-in. Now I noticed that you have shaped this plank with the others to shape of stern fill-in yet official build shows leaving at least 10 mm plus overhang first plank to stern end. Rest below can be shaped. Is there an insert that fits between the two overhangs.ConfusedWhy does this overhang need to be there? It is rather confusing. Confused

Hope you can clarify for me. BigGrin

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
jonny7england
#93 Posted : 06 July 2014 19:05:52

George1 wrote:
Hi Jonny. BigGrin

Just a further query; Re the stern fill-in; The top plank bow to stern to be level with the top plank of stern fill-in. Now I noticed that you have shaped this plank with the others to shape of stern fill-in yet official build shows leaving at least 10 mm plus overhang first plank to stern end. Rest below can be shaped. Is there an insert that fits between the two overhangs.ConfusedWhy does this overhang need to be there? It is rather confusing. Confused

Regards

George

Hi there George...Glad that you saw the bull clips that I mentioned. You may have to cannibalize a few clips to get the end result..i.e, the part that slips over the plank that you are working on? As for your further query, I don't quite understand what you are trying to point out? If there are any pictures to refer to regarding your query, I would be only too glad to answer your question...
Wink
Martyn Ingram
#94 Posted : 06 July 2014 19:50:10

BigGrin A lovely bit of planking m8 keep the pics coming ThumpUp Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
George1
#95 Posted : 07 July 2014 02:41:09

jonny7england wrote:
George1 wrote:
Hi Jonny. BigGrin

Regards

George

Hi there George...Glad that you saw the bull clips that I mentioned. You may have to cannibalize a few clips to get the end result..i.e, the part that slips over the plank that you are working on? As for your further query, I don't quite understand what you are trying to point out? If there are any pictures to refer to regarding your query, I would be only too glad to answer your question...
Wink

Hi Jonny. BigGrin

Re the plank overhang first plank from bow to stern to top plank stern infill.

See Tomick's Official Build Diary SOTS issues 21-25 post 4 pic three down. Confused

You will see all planks shaped to stern planking except for that first plank which is left as overhang. I thought it must be for some insert to go between otherwise why leave it overhang. Confused

Hope you can clarify for me.BigGrin

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
jonny7england
#96 Posted : 07 July 2014 08:20:41

George1 wrote:
jonny7england wrote:
George1 wrote:
Hi Jonny. BigGrin

Regards

George

Wink

Hi Jonny. BigGrin

Re the plank overhang first plank from bow to stern to top plank stern infill.

See Tomick's Official Build Diary SOTS issues 21-25 post 4 pic three down. Confused

You will see all planks shaped to stern planking except for that first plank which is left as overhang. I thought it must be for some insert to go between otherwise why leave it overhang. Confused

Hope you can clarify for me.BigGrin

Regards

George

Hi George...Thanks for the extra info mate and as for the overhang?...there is the addition of two gallery side panels and rear panel...Issue 30 and after fitting these panels the planking seems to have been cut back, though there is no written evidence stating to cut it back? See Mr T's posting...Issue 30, pictures 2-3 and 4, the overhang is missing! Sorry for the delay in answering George, I hope that it helps mate...Take care now.
Wink
jase
#97 Posted : 07 July 2014 13:12:37

Looks really good, enjoying your build Cool
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
jonny7england
#98 Posted : 07 July 2014 14:48:50

Thank you for your very welcome comments my friends..It is well appreciated...Smile
birdaj2
#99 Posted : 07 July 2014 16:13:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Jonny

Your hull planking looks real good.

I always see this as the biggest hurdle to get right in any build and getting this right takes some real skills and patience.

Your doing well.

Kind regards

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
jonny7england
#100 Posted : 07 July 2014 16:23:11

Thanks Tony...Your nice comment really appreciated mate...Wink