Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
repetitive cutting, building Options
Zeptrader
#1 Posted : 01 May 2010 21:21:00

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

A thought Ive been having over the time I have been building the Bounty and that I think will come into play with this build, due to the nature of partworks is repetitive cutting and building.
To try to explain, the cannons for example, we are going to have 24'ish of the little things, now if we make one now with all the trimmings including GS and rigging ect, then the partworks supply another 1 or 2 over the next months and so on, we could in fact be making them for 12 months or more. From experince (I'm not a master shipwright) that doing one piece say for example re making the masts and yards in the summer, come the winter when I need to do more I have forgotten or unable to produce with the same quality and care the rest of them.

This is why I would like to make the cannons from scratch, only use the barrel from the kit, just a case of adding to what is already made. This way I can make sure all cannons are the same. I think the same could be said of the anchors, correct me if I'm wrong but we could have 4 anchors for Victory?

Its hard somtimes to sit and make something like 24 cannons all in one go, but I really think its the best way. I hope this post does'nt come across as 'you shoud do this' or 'dont do it this way' that is far from the reason for writing this.

I'd like to hear your views on repetitive cutting and building.
BenE
#2 Posted : 01 May 2010 21:38:08

Groups: Registered

I was going to hold of making the cannons/anchor anyway, it will be s fair while before we need to install them, (reduces the chances of loosing them also) lol

it may get repetitive but in the end better safe than sorry in my books :)
mavrickandgoose
#3 Posted : 01 May 2010 21:40:17

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I can see what you mean zeptrader, but i like the fact its done one at a time (might not say that after 24 though!) i tend to want to rush things and if i had 24 to do at once i would probably not do them as well becuse i would want to get it finnished quicker, but the fact i only have one at a time means i take longer to do it and more detail. i think it depends on how you best work though. and some people may do them in batches of 5 or more.
steve
Capt Stedders
#4 Posted : 01 May 2010 23:28:04

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

It's a fifty/fifty thing with me, on one hand I'd rather like to receive a 'fiddly' part(like a cannon, set of miniatures or a similar 'feature part') in order to lavish a bit of extra care on it along with some hull formers or planking - rather than just a few hull bits (which, although necessary, are a bit dull after all...)

On the other hand I am being rather conservative toward the amount of nit-picking detail I intend to go into (Eg, the carronades will both have block and tackle, along with breeching ropes since there are only two of them - whilst the cannon will only have breeching rope detail since making 48 sets would, if I am being honest, drive me the wrong side of nuts. Knowing one's limitations of patience and applying the brakes in advance is the key to happy modeling.

Suddenly having heaps of samey-looking bits thrust upon you requires stamina as opposed to having enjoyable little bursts of kit-bashing.

One of the advantages of this weekly installment arrangement, for me at least, is that I am not suddenly confronted by a huge array of repetitive assemblies all at once. (like you, I would assemble all the cannon in batches and work through them all before proceeding with another set of sub assemblies - whilst I can do the assembly line thing and its a logical thing to do, I don't tend to enjoy it so much).
Schnellboots on back burner

Tools.

krisdevalnor
#5 Posted : 01 May 2010 23:56:07

I will do my cannons, anchors etc. only when they are finally needed.
Pros: storage of small and fragile pieces might be tricky, I know we have plenty of time to build it, but I would be rather fed up looking for the same details in instructions few times, one time few months after another. Especially with instructions in different issues (carronade). Production line wasn't developed just for fun.
snowtiger
#6 Posted : 02 May 2010 02:57:25

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Like you colin i'm building from scratch the 12 pounders....it's time consuming but adding ....wood panels on the front and a axel spar at the back..and whar looks like rivvets on the sides....then replacing the original brass rods/axels with 1.2mm brass enhances the look of the guns..BigGrin BigGrin
Jamie
#7 Posted : 02 May 2010 16:01:33

"Variety is the spice of life" or so I keep telling myself anyway Huh so I'll be assembling the bits as they come. I don't think I could sit there one afternoon and assemble 5 or 10 cannons cause I'd get bored and they'd start not looking right or I'd miss something.

So I'd prefer that the cannons (and the like) are spaced out throughout the build so I can do a bit of this and a bit of that.

Just a quick question for anyone who can answer it - it has been said that we are only assembling 24 cannons, this is obviously for the main deck which will be on view, so my question is what are the other 80 cannons going to look like ie are they only going to be the barrels sticking out the gun ports or will they have carriages too??Confused Huh

I wish I were a glow worm,
A glow worm's never glum,
'Cause how can you be grumpy?
When the sun shines out ya bum!!
dtgray
#8 Posted : 02 May 2010 16:07:11

They will be just the barrels, without carriages.
Regards,

David

Jamie
#9 Posted : 02 May 2010 16:25:33

Cheers David

Bit disappointed now wish I hadn't asked Crying

Capt Stedders
#10 Posted : 02 May 2010 16:43:11

Jamie wrote:
Cheers David

Bit disappointed now wish I hadn't asked Crying

Don't be..

See the following pic, imagine rigging and fine detailing that little lot..

Its an OCD just waiting to happen.
Schnellboots on back burner

Tools.

Zeptrader
#11 Posted : 02 May 2010 18:42:23

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

LOL, now thats what I mean, that ruddy heaven for me:)

Drool Flapper
Jamie
#12 Posted : 02 May 2010 19:37:42

Yeah, now that wouldn't bother me doing that lot.......just not all at once Huh BigGrin

I think I might make the carriages myself for the rest of the cannons, maybe not do all the block and tackle business for them.

At least if someone got nosey while having a close up look of the finished ship they wouldn't then ask why there is no carriages for the cannons Blushing Blink

dtgray
#13 Posted : 02 May 2010 20:09:56

I'm not sure that the dummy barrels will have the same length and or design as the first cannon had. Sad More than likely the dummies will be shorter barrel and will have a pin at the opposite end from the muzzle so that it can be fitted into a mounting block that will sit behind the gunport. So the dummy barrels are unlikly to work with a carriage of the first cannons design. If you are going to replace the dummies with cannons on carriages you may need to replace the dummy barrels too. Or at the least you will need to redesign the carriage to accomodate the shortened dummy barrel Sad
Regards,

David

Jamie
#14 Posted : 02 May 2010 20:16:25

Ok, well thats food for thought Cool

I suppose I'll have to wait to see what the dummy cannons look like and then decide what to do. One thing I know I'm NOT doing is buying replacement cannons at a fiver each Cursing Sneaky

dtgray
#15 Posted : 02 May 2010 20:29:54

Jamie wrote:

I suppose I'll have to wait to see what the dummy cannons look like and then decide what to do. One thing I know I'm NOT doing is buying replacement cannons at a fiver each Cursing Sneaky

If it is a consolation, the gun kit that DeAgostini is currently selling is too small to reflect the larger 24 and 32 pounder guns on the lower gun decks anyway. So you'd be wasting your money if you purchased those as they wouldn't look right. Smile
Regards,

David

budgie
#16 Posted : 02 May 2010 20:47:29

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Jamie wrote:

BigGrin picking up on ure "food for thought" spooky
left to fend for myself today checked the freezer for something to eat chuck in oven till goes right colour (charcoal)
la diner hot & spicy chicken fillets from farmfoods (other brands available)
the packaging is what i am getting at thin metal film perfect
the anchor stock plate string looks good but they were metal plates not rope
had ago at some photoetched brass strips i had spare but i thought too thick & wouldnt have enough for all anchors so was pondering on using card but now spicy chicken wrapping is the way i will go
Mike Turpin
#17 Posted : 02 May 2010 21:13:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month

Has it got to be SPICY chicken???LOL LOL

Mike T
Jamie
#18 Posted : 02 May 2010 22:22:31

Mike Turpin wrote:
Has it got to be SPICY chicken???LOL LOL

Mike T

Yeah it probably would have to be spicy as it may not be thick enough without the spice on it LOL

And to David, I didn't relise we are getting different size cannons Blushing .......note to self....start reading the b$@@&y magazines

And Budgie.......Blink yeah spooky Huh LOL

dtgray
#19 Posted : 02 May 2010 23:29:45

Jamie wrote:
And to David, I didn't relise we are getting different size cannons Blushing .......note to self....start reading the b$@@&y magazines

To be fair to you I'm not sure if it's mentioned in the magazine, BigGrin it's just that the Victory did have different size guns on the different decks so I assume the model will reflect that BigGrin BigGrin
Regards,

David

Mike Turpin
#20 Posted : 03 May 2010 00:41:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month

To get back to the original theme, I have been following Zeptrader's advice today and been busy on the production line.

HMS Halifax carried six guns and each gun needs two gun stands which are vertical wooden posts used to strengthen the sides of the ship when the navy converted her to a ship-of-war. They carry the ring and block for the gun tackle and another ring for the breeching rope.

I decided to make six in a production line approach and then started on the other six, so a batch production technique in effect.

This picture represents a day's efforts between more mundane domestic chores.

Once all twelve have been done they can be mounted inside the sides of the ship and then I can rig the cannon to them, together with the rear tackle going to a ring in the deck.

Mike T