Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

27 Pages 123>»
Garth's Build Options
Garth
#1 Posted : 14 September 2012 11:10:54

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

Hi All
Thanks for all the great posts on this forum.
Still trying to get my head around this pc stuff???
Finally added some pix of my build.
I had the best intentions of posting them sooner, but it is more daunting extracting and posting images, than planking the stern!!!
I am a little further than these images, but now that I’m getting more used to the IT component, I will be able add them more often.
File Attachment(s):
DSC_0551_1.jpg (320kb) downloaded 269 time(s).
DSC_0552_1.jpg (354kb) downloaded 155 time(s).
DSC_0553_1.jpg (320kb) downloaded 138 time(s).
DSC_0555_1.jpg (399kb) downloaded 149 time(s).
DSC_0556_1.jpg (410kb) downloaded 145 time(s).
DSC_0557_1.jpg (352kb) downloaded 142 time(s).
DSC_0558_1.jpg (427kb) downloaded 151 time(s).
DSC_0559_1.jpg (391kb) downloaded 139 time(s).
DSC_0560_1.jpg (409kb) downloaded 143 time(s).
DSC_0563_1.jpg (295kb) downloaded 140 time(s).
DSC_0564_1.jpg (452kb) downloaded 157 time(s).
DSC_0566_1.jpg (292kb) downloaded 214 time(s).
Garth attached the following image(s):
DSC_0009_2.jpg
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
StefanDV
#2 Posted : 14 September 2012 12:32:06

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Nicely done Garth! She's looking splendid.
pierre50
#3 Posted : 18 September 2012 14:37:21

Hi Garth
Welcome to the forum, your build is looking good.
Some advice, reside your pics to 100k they will be visible immediately.
Regards
Pierre
Current Buid:
HMS Victory
Next Build:
Captain Cook's Endeavour Collecting issues
Wish List:
Santa Ana
Bounty
Santisima-Trinidad
Garth
#4 Posted : 18 September 2012 15:50:26

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Pierre,

Thank you, will do so next time.

Regards,

Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Gerrit
#5 Posted : 21 September 2012 07:01:09

Hi there Garth

Welcome to the forum. Congrats with your build She is looking very good.

All the best onwards

Gerrit
MWG
#6 Posted : 21 September 2012 09:02:17

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Garth A big warm welcome to the Model Space ForumBigGrin Your build is coming on. Regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Hans
#7 Posted : 21 September 2012 11:54:21

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Garth
Welcome aboard. You are at the right place with many a splendid builds, advice, tips and tutorials. I see you reside just down the road from me. Enjoy your build.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
Garth
#8 Posted : 22 October 2012 13:02:42

Once again, thanks to all for the positive feedback.
Finally got some more work done!!!
I decided to build all the masts and yards together, this seemed the most obvious solution as the activities seemed similar. As a result, that past few weeks have just been finishing up bits and pieces of the mast and yard issues.
DSC_0012_1.jpg
DSC_0010_2.jpg
DSC_0017_1.jpg
DSC_0009_2.jpg
DSC_0022_1.jpg
DSC_0025_1.jpg
DSC_0029_1.jpg
DSC_0033_1.jpg
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Hans
#9 Posted : 22 October 2012 13:15:30

Well done looking very good, neat and clean.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
Garth
#10 Posted : 12 April 2013 14:35:17

Hi all

Finally had a chance to get some work done on my Victory.
Our daughter was born on 21 January and we’re only touching ground now. After three weeks leave over Christmas and two weeks paternity leave, I only got 16 hours of work done on my Victory - SHOCKING

Attached are my progress pics.

Regards

Garth
DSC_0563_2.jpg
DSC_0565_2.jpg
DSC_0566_2.jpg
DSC_0569_02.jpg
DSC_0570_02.jpg
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
skyfire
#11 Posted : 12 April 2013 14:41:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

A nice looking build. Love that your using a cat to show the size of the Victory. Meow
Garth
#12 Posted : 12 April 2013 14:53:09

Hi Skyfire,
Thanks. ...and he's a big cat too (My First-mate)

Regards,

Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Hans
#13 Posted : 12 April 2013 14:57:03

Beautiful clean build there Garth. It's obvious you have put a lot of effort into it. She looks great and it's paying off. Beware the feline. One of our members had to redo a large portion of his VIc as the feline knocked it over, I believe it was using it as a "scratching post". Still, well done looking forward to your further progress.
Rgds, Hans
Current Build:
Hans
#14 Posted : 12 April 2013 14:59:06

Slight lapse of concentration. Congratulations on the birth of your daughter. that is a full tiome job on it's own.
Rgds, Hans
Current Build:
Gandale
#15 Posted : 12 April 2013 23:35:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Warm welcome to the forum Garth... Very nice looking build you got there... Keep posting, we all look forward to seeing all the different builds.....BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan
dizz16
#16 Posted : 13 April 2013 11:59:14

Garth,

Awesome work! I also want to leave mine in the natuaral wood colours. I am now on the 1st deck and still got a lot of work to be done, but looking at yours I am very excited!

My 1st baby daughter is due next month, so I am sure my build will also come to a stand still soon :)

Did you varnish your build as you went along, or would most be possible to do afterwards? Might be a silly question, but just curious.

Enjoy the rugby :) Go Stormers!
Tomick
#17 Posted : 13 April 2013 12:11:50

Groups:

Sorry Garth I missed this...well done..looks great! Cool
Garth
#18 Posted : 14 April 2013 15:59:39

Wow... I'm truly humbled by all the positive feedback by such accomplished model builders. Thank you, it's really inspiring!!!

Hi Hans (neighbour)
Thank you for your well wishes. Have you posted imiges of your build?

Hi dizz16,
Congratulations on the pending birth of your daughter and your Stormers win. Contrary to what you may feel at the time - the crying does stop and you will eventually get more than 2 consecutive hours of sleep!!!
I have basically varnished when instructed to do so by following their instructions. I did however forget to varnish the masts and booms before rigging them - I am busy doing some tests to see if the varnish will affect the cotton. So far, it seems to be OK as I am using matt varnish. I wish however to do a few more tests rather than to have to remake an entire mast. If the varnished cotton is unsuccessful, I will simply leave them unvarnished. In hind sight, perhaps a semi gloss varnish may look better than the Matt???
I will leave the varnishing till as late as possible, because once the wood is varnished, I cannot use wood glue to attach other parts.

Regards

Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Hans
#19 Posted : 15 April 2013 09:04:44

Hi Garth. Yes I have posted my build, it is under the main members build. I and a few others came aboard before there was a South african Forum. You will find it under Hans's Humble Victory. Do not worry too much about when you varnish. I built the masts complete first and varnished and then added the bits and pieces when dry. Wood glue will not stick to varnish, but superglue does. I'm already on my 20th tube of superglue. Using a toothpick as an appplicator prevents overflow of superglue onto the item you are working on. Hope this helps.
Rgds, Hans
Current Build:
Garth
#20 Posted : 15 April 2013 09:38:00

Hi Hans,

Thank you for the advice. Will try it out.

kind regards,

Garth
PS. Found your build - looking really good!!!
Finished!!! HMS Victory,