Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

27 Pages «<24252627>
Garth's Build Options
Markwarren
#501 Posted : 18 August 2017 13:40:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice addition, looks excellent.

Mark
DaDokta
#502 Posted : 21 August 2017 09:00:06

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

The figures look fabolous!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
z8000783
#503 Posted : 21 August 2017 09:03:00

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Very realistic, Garth.
ian smith
#504 Posted : 21 August 2017 11:58:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Garth.
Great work on the flags, figures and the victory sign.
look forward to seeing the next update.
Ian Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Garth
#505 Posted : 22 August 2017 09:28:02

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Guys,
Thank you for looking in and for the kind words.
Regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
Garth
#506 Posted : 28 August 2017 10:00:35

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi All,
As for the 120 Issues, they all are complete!!! BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
I still have a stand and presentation case to build.

I have uploaded a couple of pics that I took in my garage, but I will have to find a suitable backdrop and take better pictures.

I started my build in December 2010 and completed in August 2017.

Total Hours 475h ( I think I would have to add 10-15% had I opted for the painted version)
Average per Issue 4h
Quickest Issues 5 & 15, 10 minutes each
Longest issue 38, 18hours & 15min
Least enjoyable … easy – the small boats
Most enjoyable planking and the rigging

My thoughts on the build.

The kit and the parts provided – I think Deagostini have provided an excellent kit. For the most part, all the parts received were correct and fitted as they should. They also provided more than enough materials and parts in the kit. I have quite a stash of extra bits.
The instructions are easy to follow and are fairly accurate. Where there may be a fault, they have corrected it in later issues.

Partwork Builds – On the positive side, the parts are received incrementally and build is paced. You are not flooded with parts and books of instructions in one go. The cost is also spread over a period of time and it does become more affordable.
On the negative side, should you require a replacement part and the partwork has run its course, it may be difficult to source the parts. If you are collecting to build at a later stage. Check that the parts received are correct and not damaged as you receive them. In South Africa, CNA & Jacklin have always replaced my parts without hesitation.

Is the HMS Victory kit suitable for a beginner? – NO,NO,HELL NO…. is the first thought that goes through my mind. But then, after sitting down, stopped shaking and poured myself a stiff Brandy & Coke, I have to change my answer to YES. With all the information available, the accurate and well-made accessories and all the lase cut ply bits, it certainly is ideal for a beginner.

I have built kits that have two A1 prints and a badly translated instruction booklet. They supply ply sheets with the ribs outline stamped on using a rubber stamp. Everything has to be cut out using a Fret saw.

Not to mention the abundance of information at our disposal; there must be 500 + pages of step by step instructions that are supplied with the kit, there are 63 Youtube videos of the build and all of the personal build diaries on the various forums to look through.

It’s not that the build is that difficult, it’s just that there is so much to build. If you can see your way through some of the longer more tedious tasks, for example fitting the ratlines, it is defiantly well suited for a beginner.

Finishing this build has been a huge victory, excuse the pun, for me. I am excellent at starting a build, but not that good at completing them. I literally have boxes of unfinished models.

Thanks to everybody that has followed my build and for all the support and inspiration.

Kind regards,
Garth
Garth attached the following image(s):
DSC_3976_02.jpg
DSC_3977_02.jpg
DSC_3982_02.jpg
DSC_3983_02.jpg
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
davetwin
#507 Posted : 28 August 2017 18:31:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Congratulations on completing your build, it's a stunner Drool look forward to seeing some more photos in the finished gallery once you've finished the stand and display case.
pemberg
#508 Posted : 28 August 2017 21:15:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Beautiful build very well done. It will look stunning in a display case - you just have to find room to display it BigGrin

Graeme
arpurchase
#509 Posted : 28 August 2017 22:04:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Its been a long road for you but its paid of with a top class build and Finish , well done that manDrool Drool Drool Drool Drool Cool Love Love
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#510 Posted : 28 August 2017 22:30:43

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

A fabulous end result, looks stunning....Drool Drool Drool .. Very well done and congratulations on completing her.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Garth
#511 Posted : 29 August 2017 05:48:28

Hi Guys,
Regards,
Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
z8000783
#512 Posted : 29 August 2017 08:34:03

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Fantastic Garth, you must be so proud.
birdaj2
#513 Posted : 29 August 2017 09:29:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Garth

Very well done.

Its been a real pleasure following along with your build and seeing such a fantastic model take shape under your skilled hands.

Incredible though how the time passes so quicklyitonly seems like yesterday that I started following along.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
jonny7england
#514 Posted : 29 August 2017 09:49:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

She looks a stunner Garth...I bet you must be really proud of her... Love
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
ian smith
#515 Posted : 29 August 2017 13:30:23

Hi Garth.
Congratulations on finishing your Victory Build.
stunning looking build. enjoyed watching your progress.
Ian.Cool BigGrin Drool
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Dowlking
#516 Posted : 30 August 2017 01:26:07

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looks amazing Garth! Congratulations on finishing her, 7 years is a long way to come....
Have to say all your insight and advice in this diary has proved extremely useful and I'm sure it will continue to do so.

Thanks,
Brian
willz
#517 Posted : 03 September 2017 04:02:42

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Garth, you did it, finished your fantastic build, grats, it looks great, i dont do much interaction on the site just post my bits but i feel compelled to say well done mate you are an inspiration to others, not only on your build qualities but also on your enthusiastic passion in helping others.
great stuff Garth Willz
Garth
#518 Posted : 24 October 2017 09:21:51

Hi All,

Been off the grid for some time due to commitments at the office.
Thank you all, once again, for your kind and inspirational comments and feedback, it is sincerely appreciated.

Kind regards,
Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
DaDokta
#519 Posted : 24 October 2017 10:05:52

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Garth - somehow missed your last pics till now!

What a great build - she looks gorgeous!

Congratulations!!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
Garth
#520 Posted : 24 October 2017 10:07:32

Hi Walter,
Regards,
Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,