Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

27 Pages <12345>»
Garth's Build Options
Garth
#41 Posted : 23 November 2013 15:53:54

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

Hi Hans,
Can't wait to start the rigging, that is my favourite part. I sometimes think that is the reason that I build these ships - is to rig them.
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
Castos
#42 Posted : 08 January 2014 19:18:43

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Garth

Nice build.

I am busy with the rigging and what I have discovered so far is that small hands are a must or very long tweezers. A tweezer that works exceptionally well is a sharp point with a nearly 90 degree curve to it. I loaned (with the option of not returning it) one from my wife you does crafting.

Do not glue any ropes until you are satisfied with them and use acetone to loosen the glue.

Regards

Andre
Current Build: HMS Victory

Built: HMS Bounty

Next Build: Sovereign of the Seas Started collecting. Redrawing of plans for Santisima Trinidad for a scratchbuild. Santisima Trinidad - waiting for launch.

Garth
#43 Posted : 20 February 2014 19:33:43

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Andre,
Thank you for the heads-up. I can't wait to start the rigging.
Our daughter has just turned one, all my spare time is taken up with her. (Not complaining though - she is our little angel)
Kind regards,
Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Garth
#44 Posted : 30 April 2014 20:36:43

Eventually, I have been able to string two entire days together on my Victory. It's amazing how the hours roll by when you're having fun!!!
I have completed the gallery and fitted the hammock nets. They took a lot more time than I expected. Once again Andre, thanks for your tip on the jigs - I built one the way suggested in the instructions and almost needed to double my heart medication.
I have also decided to break away slightly from the assembly sequence in the instructions, and try to get all the building done before I start the rigging. With the exception of the gun port lids. I have assembled them, but will install them later. I don't want to run the risk of snapping them off.
One small setback though. I am thinking of trying to fit LEDs into the lanterns. Wiring the three on the stern should be pretty straight forward, but the one on the main mast is going to be really tricky. I made a drill guide and silver soldered an extension to a 3mm drill bit. In theory, the drill guide will keep the drill centered all the way through. Fortunately, the drill broke through the mast just under the fighting top - exactly where I intended to run the wires!!!
Well, after patting myself on the back and congratulating myself on a job well done - horror of all horrors, I have just bored a hole through the fore mast Blushing
Fortunately the fore and main mast are the same diameter, I repeated the boring but the drill did not stay true. It broke through the mast about half way up. All is not lost though, I carefully removed the rubbing paunch, and cut a grove that hides the wires. I filled the holes in the mast and re stained them. The surgery is evident when looking close-up, but once all is completed, there is so much going on with the rigging and sails, it won't be noticed. (I hope) If all goes well, I'll post some pix of the LED lanterns.
Well, that's it for now, I'll post some pix of the gallery and hammock nets when I'm back on my PC .
Kind regards,
Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
arpurchase
#45 Posted : 30 April 2014 22:34:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Garth
Sounds like an interesting addition , hope it works out ok
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Hans
#46 Posted : 07 May 2014 08:00:48

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Way to go Garth, sound like your risk paid off. It will be interesting to see your final result. Well done.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
Garth
#47 Posted : 07 May 2014 19:36:35

Hi Hans & Andy,
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Hope it pays off in the end.
Kind regards,
Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Garth
#48 Posted : 08 May 2014 14:32:24

Gallery complete, hammock nets installed and gun port lids ready.
Garth attached the following image(s):
DSC_1403_01.jpg
DSC_1405_01.jpg
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
stevie_o
#49 Posted : 08 May 2014 14:46:11

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

z8000783
#50 Posted : 08 May 2014 14:54:40

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

I am simply overwhelmed by the professionalism of all these builds.
Garth
#51 Posted : 08 May 2014 20:17:35

Hi Steve and John,
Once again, thank you for the kind words.
Regards,
Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
arpurchase
#52 Posted : 08 May 2014 20:34:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Garth
Top work there
Regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

karl1113
#53 Posted : 08 May 2014 21:21:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

very nice garth, a credit to you.Cool
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
Gandale
#54 Posted : 08 May 2014 23:22:41

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking brill Garth, credit to your patience and skill......Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
Garth
#55 Posted : 09 May 2014 14:40:49

Hi Andy, Karl and Alan,
Thank you for looking in and the inspiration.
Kind regards,
Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Garth
#56 Posted : 11 May 2014 20:00:43

I was able to get some work done this weekend. I almost completed assembling the lanterns and installed the LED's. So far so good - all is working fine on the bench. Hope it stays that way.
Thanks again to Dennis for his excellent tutorial on soldering (D51 Soldering).
I'll post some pix shortly.
Regards
Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Garth
#57 Posted : 13 May 2014 07:11:32

Hi all,

Below is the pic of the main mast lantern. I photographed my assembly process and I will post them once I have installed them. These delicate LED’s notoriously stop working when handled too much. So I’m holding thumbs.
Kind regards,
Garth
Garth attached the following image(s):
DSC_1431_01.jpg
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
stevie_o
#58 Posted : 13 May 2014 10:20:51

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Garth
#59 Posted : 13 May 2014 20:31:58

Hi Steve,
Thank you kindly.
Regards,
Garth
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Hans
#60 Posted : 23 May 2014 13:12:21

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Brillia pics.nt job there Garth. Waiting eagerly for your process
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section