Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Rob T's Sovereign Of The Seas - First build Options
RobT
#1 Posted : 14 September 2012 19:53:40

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Well I started today on my first ever build after collecting issues 1,2 and 3.

There a few different ideas floating about here, but I decided in the end that I wanted to make my SOTS model look like I expect an old ship to look.

I think keeping the woods dark rather than bright will help with the final impact of the gold decorations.

First thing I did was to build the main pieces. Bulkhead is complete but it and the ribs are dry fitted to the keel as I want to make myself a jig.

Nothing too difficult there.

I then moved on to the cannons. I decided upon a matt varnished burmese teak finish with bronze cannons. Quite pleased with the results, but these are my first ever cannons, so hopefully they should improve with each attempt.

Finally finished off the anchor. Painted in standard matt black. No staining yet as I haven't decided which I want exactly.

That's all for now. Looking forward to getting the next issues. Took a lot longer than I expected. Actually quite tiring. But very enjoyable all the same. BigGrin Only problem is I have got a headache from the stains and varnish Mad

Photos are actually quite annoying as they seem to show up defects far more than what you see with the naked eye.
ian smith
#2 Posted : 04 October 2012 14:58:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Rob.
Looking Good mate. keep up the good work. IanCool
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Hans
#3 Posted : 05 October 2012 09:49:21

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good build there Rob. You are showing a very nice finish. Keep it up.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
MWG
#4 Posted : 05 October 2012 09:59:15

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Rob nice workBigGrin Regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Gus W
#5 Posted : 05 October 2012 10:10:33

Nice one Rob. BigGrin
Currently Building:

Eaglemoss HMB Endeavour
De Agostini Sovereign of the Seas
karl1113
#6 Posted : 05 October 2012 10:32:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

errrr hi rob,the eyebolt on the cannon? shouldn't it be IN the cannon(i.e.)drill a hole in the side of the truck and insert said eyebolt in hole,both sides of truck,and one eyebolt in the rear of the truck,please don't take offence or get another headache,the pic is great and macro does show EVERYTHING up.great work,keep it up.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
Sillvestra
#7 Posted : 05 October 2012 14:43:55

Very good point Karl, I only just noticed that after looking at the pics a 2nd time... Should have spotted it as well as just purchased a micro-drill set specifically to allow me to fit them into my cannons when I start building them (maybe this weekend) BigGrin
Andy

Current Builds:
- HMS Sovereign of the Seas

Planning on Building:
- Scratch built HMS Victory full detail interior (I know what's inside even if you can't see it BigGrin)

Completed Builds:
-
RobT
#8 Posted : 06 December 2012 23:15:31

After disastrous first attempt caused by the new modellers cardinal sin of rushing, I have got going properly.

I feel I am one of life's ultimate worriers. Although all the levels match up I am still convinced it is wonky. I it possible to be so worried about the accuracy of a build that your eyes start seeing problems that are not there?

Gandale
#9 Posted : 06 December 2012 23:43:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking good to me Rob.... and no, you can never check too much in the early stages.... the more you check the more your mind will be put at ease.... remember, take your time, it's not a race.... Keep the pics comings.....BigGrin

Regards

Alan
claret
#10 Posted : 08 December 2012 01:06:59

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looking good rob.

Claret
Also working on:
SOTS.
Moebius 1/32 Flying Sub with PE & lights.

Waiting in the wings:
Polarlights Spindrift from Land of the Giants.

finished:
007 Iconic DB5.
RobT
#11 Posted : 13 December 2012 22:11:17

Not much else. I am yet to recieve issues 14-17.

Just added the stringers and beam and painted. I was going to add dowels to the beam supports, but they actually feel sturdy enough.

der Gohfelder
#12 Posted : 13 December 2012 22:16:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Well done, it´s looking very good until now. Go on this way!

Regards, Bernd
MWG
#13 Posted : 13 December 2012 22:32:11

Hi Rob, a very nice jobBigGrin Kind regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

RobT
#14 Posted : 13 December 2012 22:34:30

Cheers fellas. Bulkhead still not glued. Gonna order some balsa for the bow, but keep putting it off as I'm unsure of what (widths) I will need.
Gandale
#15 Posted : 17 December 2012 00:36:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

RobT wrote:
Cheers fellas. Bulkhead still not glued. Gonna order some balsa for the bow, but keep putting it off as I'm unsure of what (widths) I will need.

Rob, if it helps I bought a variety of widths in order to cover all the various sizes in gaps that need to be filled..... I believe it was worth it but each to their own I suppose......

Regards

Alan
RobT
#16 Posted : 30 December 2012 18:59:52

had a very slow xmas and nothing has got done. Not even the second deck as I am waiting for some dowels.

However, I had a couple of hours free this morning so thought I would assemble the gallery. Nice and easy as long as you have various sizes of clamp.

Martyn Ingram
#17 Posted : 27 February 2013 12:09:01

Going well keep it up .Nice work
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
RobT
#18 Posted : 29 June 2013 22:12:40

Afraid I haven't kept this upto date, as I forget to take photo's as I'm concentrating on what I'm doing as I've never done it before.

Anyway, Ready to move on to sanding now. Quite happy so far.

Gandale
#19 Posted : 29 June 2013 22:39:27

Nicely done Rob, nice to see some pics of your build....Cool Cool .. By the looks of things it should sand down very nicely.... hope you got a good strong sanding arm... BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan
RobT
#20 Posted : 29 June 2013 22:41:30

Gandale wrote:
Nicely done Rob, nice to see some pics of your build....Cool Cool .. By the looks of things it should sand down very nicely.... hope you got a good strong sanding arm... BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan

Argos had a really good deal on B&D mouse sanders, so I picked one up. Should do nicely.