Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

10 Pages 123>»
AK's Sovereign Build Options
court orchard
#1 Posted : 16 September 2012 11:43:21

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi Everybody, I have decided after much deliberation to add to the growing list of build logs. My main motivation is that I am hoping that it will keep me on track and complete this build. All comments welcome. I've never done this before so I may stumble a little to start.

Issues 1 & 2 Completed.

Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
Admiral Anti Spiral
#2 Posted : 27 May 2013 14:43:11

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

not a bad idea there andy! i think it'd look good and if you even wanted you could give it a brush with some blacken it or a gel type of blacken it, either way it seems tree nailing either way is a good idea, but nigel makes a good point, it may seem too much if the nails are too big and too close together BigGrin
Processing - Progressing

Previous builds: HMS Victory
Current build: HMS Sovereign of the seas
court orchard
#3 Posted : 27 May 2013 15:28:08

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks Admiral and Nigel for your advice.
These pins are 24ct Gold Plated Brass and are ridiculously cheap at 99p for 100. They are called Head Pins and are used for Jewelry making, they are also available in Silver and other finishes.
Andy

Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
NMBROOK
#4 Posted : 27 May 2013 16:01:30

Groups:

They seem like a good find Andy if you want that finish.Much more preferable to using brass pins that will tarnish.Can't believe they are actually cheaper than the pins we use for building.Amati make a really fine brass pin,but they would work out at four times the price!
Kind Regards Nigel
court orchard
#5 Posted : 27 May 2013 16:03:13

Canon Port Cutting Trial

First I made a small Dummy Hull Panel, then marked out two ports.
Then using a pair of Dividers, I made a small hole 1mm in along each diagonal. Then using a Brad point 2mm Drill I drilled a hole in each corner.
My 'Secret Weapon'LOL LOL was now deployed, this is a Minitools Sabre Saw which has 2 opposing blades and requires only a 1.5 to 2mm entry hole.
The Holes were then sanded to finish, each port took only a few minutes.
Note that I am using a Proxxon 12V Variable Power Supply which is much cheaper than the Minitools one (it has the same sockets).

Andy

NMBROOK
#6 Posted : 27 May 2013 16:09:11

Groups:

Now that's a tool and a half Andy!
Only advice I could give is when you actually cut them on the ship,drill the four holes a little inside the line.Otherwise through drill wander etc the ports might creep up in size when you square them up.
Kind Regards Nigel
Gandale
#7 Posted : 27 May 2013 23:06:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Andy, I really like the idea of your treenailing, it looks as if you have snipped the heads of the pins off and think one of the things you would need to watch out for is the indentation the pin heads are leaving, unless they can be sanded out of course..... BigGrin BigGrin .. Have to say too, the secret weapon is a nifty looking tool and as I am lover of tools I may just have a look and see where I can get my hands on one.... can see it would have loads of uses.... BigGrin BigGrin ... Keep up the good inovative work m8..... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
court orchard
#8 Posted : 28 May 2013 09:54:16

Gandale wrote:
Hi Andy, I really like the idea of your treenailing, it looks as if you have snipped the heads of the pins off and think one of the things you would need to watch out for is the indentation the pin heads are leaving, unless they can be sanded out of course..... BigGrin BigGrin .. Have to say too, the secret weapon is a nifty looking tool and as I am lover of tools I may just have a look and see where I can get my hands on one.... can see it would have loads of uses.... BigGrin BigGrin ... Keep up the good inovative work m8..... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Very sharp eyed Alan, the slight indentation was caused by the jaws of the Pin Chuck, I was using a very short length of drill. I didn't snip the pins, as they are plated, but used the opposite ends for the 2 different sizes.

The Saw is only available from Shesto in the UK as far as I am aware. It is a very clever design, as the twin blades work in opposition so there is no push and pull that you normally get with this kind of saw, this allows it to be used at low speeds.
Andy

court orchard
#9 Posted : 29 May 2013 23:41:34

Halfway through the Canon Ports on one side.

Andy

der Gohfelder
#10 Posted : 29 May 2013 23:45:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Andy!
It´s looking very nice, well done!

Regards, Bernd
court orchard
#11 Posted : 30 May 2013 10:14:26

der Gohfelder wrote:
Hi Andy!
It´s looking very nice, well done!

Regards, Bernd

Thanks Bernd.
Andy

MWG
#12 Posted : 30 May 2013 11:19:31

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good stuff AndyBigGrin Kind regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Gandale
#13 Posted : 30 May 2013 22:33:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Lovely and neat as always Andy... WTG, looking first class....BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan

NMBROOK
#14 Posted : 30 May 2013 23:40:02

Groups:

Very neat work Andy BigGrin BigGrin ,I bet that tool makes the job a lot less tiresome.
Kind Regards Nigel
Admiral Anti Spiral
#15 Posted : 31 May 2013 11:03:28

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

looking great there andy! nice work with the toolBigGrin
Processing - Progressing

Previous builds: HMS Victory
Current build: HMS Sovereign of the seas
court orchard
#16 Posted : 02 June 2013 14:56:59

MWG wrote:
Good stuff AndyBigGrin Kind regards Mike

Thanks Mike.
Andy

court orchard
#17 Posted : 02 June 2013 14:58:02

Gandale wrote:
Lovely and neat as always Andy... WTG, looking first class....BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan, catching you up slowly, maybeBlink
Andy

court orchard
#18 Posted : 02 June 2013 14:59:07

NMBROOK wrote:
Very neat work Andy BigGrin BigGrin ,I bet that tool makes the job a lot less tiresome.
Kind Regards Nigel

Thanks Nigel, indeed it does, I mean did nowBigGrin.
Andy

court orchard
#19 Posted : 02 June 2013 15:00:10

Admiral Anti Spiral wrote:
looking great there andy! nice work with the toolBigGrin

Thanks AdmiralBigGrin
Andy

court orchard
#20 Posted : 02 June 2013 15:13:17

So, finally all 68 Ports CutBigGrin BigGrin

It was quite a daunting task as the positions are marked and referenced from a single plank that was fitted months ago. But if measured carefully everything is fine.
A couple of points, firstly double, if not treble check the measurements. There is a Typo were a Rib 10 is referred to, this should say Rib 22. As has been discussed before, the measurement for the Gun Port on the Lower Deck between Ribs 16 & 20 should be 21mm not 15mm. Finally the Planking between the Gun Port and the Hatch on the Middle Deck is very vulnerable and gave way on both sides for me, but it's an easy repair (I backed it with a strip of 0.5 x 3mm Walnut first).

Andy