Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

10 Pages «<56789>»
AK's Sovereign Build Options
court orchard
#121 Posted : 13 September 2013 17:39:01

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

benny b wrote:
nice tidy work on the cannon ports very nice indeed benny b.

Thanks BennyBigGrin
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
court orchard
#122 Posted : 13 September 2013 17:51:47

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

delboy271155 wrote:
Hi Andy,BigGrin

There may have been an easier road, but, the end result is a whole lot better. WTG

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Thanks Derek, I'm trying to be disciplined and do it the way I know I should and avoid rushing on to the next stage. I've done that before and you're left with a piece of work that gives you a feeling of dissatisfaction every time you look at it. Most of these things are 90% Perspiration and 10% Skill and what's the rush.BigGrin BigGrin
Andy

Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
court orchard
#123 Posted : 13 September 2013 17:59:07

NMBROOK wrote:
Now that is a job and a half AndyBlink Kudos to you for taking it onCool A possibly easier way might be to make the frames up first in a jig and then open the ports where necessary to match,the advantage this way is every port would be exactly the same.
Kind Regards Nigel

I did think about a jig, but I was worried about managing to glue the frames to the jig and I would've needed several jigs to avoid having to wait 12 hours for each Frame. As I think you've said before, there's a certain peculiar enjoyment in these long-winded tasks, once you get into the rhythm of them.BigGrin
Andy

court orchard
#124 Posted : 15 September 2013 20:08:35

Having got halfway through the Cannon Port lining, I thought I'd take a break and start working on the Rear Galleries.
First the frame was added, instead of staining, I've lined them with Sapele, I have plenty to spare because of the Boxwood. I then painted the Side Panel matt black, after this I have lined the openings with Gold Metallic Paper.
Next I have replaced the supplied Mesh with a Diamond Mesh, this is to match contemporary pictures which all seem to show this rather than Square Mesh, especially Endsor's 'The Restoration Warship'. I have used Secret Weapon Mesh, which is a nice sharp etch.
Apologies for the Photos the light in here is terrible and it's too wet to Photograph outside.

[img]http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg482/andykirby194/DSC02236_zps9b70532c.jpg/img]
Andy

court orchard
#125 Posted : 15 September 2013 20:12:30

I have backed the Mesh with Red Metallic Paper. For some reason I couldn't add this photo in the last post. So I've posted it separately.
As an aid to my own memory, as well as anybody else's benefit, the Strips are for the Base 5 x 2mm and for the
Top /Sides 19 x 2mm

Andy

Gandale
#126 Posted : 15 September 2013 22:27:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking great Andy, love the idea of the red window backing, really shows up the diamond mesh....Drool Drool ..

Regards

Alan
NMBROOK
#127 Posted : 15 September 2013 22:46:43

Groups:

Great work AndyCool Cool I especially like the shim brass linings
Kind Regards Nigel
stevie_o
#128 Posted : 16 September 2013 00:04:38

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This is looking like its going to be an amazing build, you are so right about what you said earlier about getting a feeling of dissatisfaction every time you look a model if you are not entirly happy with it. I have re-done so many things on my Vic that i just couldnt live with because I knew I could have done it better, including completely re-coppering the hull!
Great build though, keep it up.
Steve
claret
#129 Posted : 16 September 2013 08:44:18

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi andy,

Coming along beautifully.

keep up the 1st class work.Love

Regards
Claret
Also working on:
SOTS.
Moebius 1/32 Flying Sub with PE & lights.

Waiting in the wings:
Polarlights Spindrift from Land of the Giants.

finished:
007 Iconic DB5.
Martyn Ingram
#130 Posted : 16 September 2013 10:17:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Stunning work on the windows love it rgd MartynBigGrin
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
court orchard
#131 Posted : 16 September 2013 10:54:19

Gandale wrote:
Looking great Andy, love the idea of the red window backing, really shows up the diamond mesh....Drool Drool ..

Regards

Alan

Thanks AlanBigGrin , my original intention was to use Green Backing, as according to Sephton the Diamond Panes were glazed with Green Mica, but when I tried Green it gave too little contrast.
Andy

court orchard
#132 Posted : 16 September 2013 10:59:07

NMBROOK wrote:
Great work AndyCool Cool I especially like the shim brass linings
Kind Regards Nigel

Thanks Nigel BigGrin , the Plywood edges are too rough to get a nice painted finish, so originally I was going to shim and then paint Black or Shim with Black Paper. But, the Gold gives a nicer appearance and there's a nice reflection which enhances the look of the Windows.
Andy

court orchard
#133 Posted : 16 September 2013 11:03:10

stevie_o wrote:
This is looking like its going to be an amazing build, you are so right about what you said earlier about getting a feeling of dissatisfaction every time you look a model if you are not entirly happy with it. I have re-done so many things on my Vic that i just couldnt live with because I knew I could have done it better, including completely re-coppering the hull!
Great build though, keep it up.
Steve

Thanks SteveBigGrin .
Your Victory certainly shows the results of time, care and attention to detail.
Andy

court orchard
#134 Posted : 16 September 2013 13:27:16

claret wrote:
Hi andy,

Coming along beautifully.

keep up the 1st class work.Love

Regards
Claret

Thanks very much, Claret, yours tooThumpUp
Andy

court orchard
#135 Posted : 16 September 2013 13:28:24

Martyn Ingram wrote:
BigGrin Stunning work on the windows love it rgd MartynBigGrin

Cheers, Martyn. I'm quite pleased with themBlushing
Andy

court orchard
#136 Posted : 17 September 2013 23:39:31

Moving on.
Finished the Mitred Cannon Port Linings, I've used the same Dark Maroon as the Stripe. This took a long time but gives a nicer appearance (well I've got to say that nowLOL )
I've now also Varnished the Hull, using 3 coats of Ronseal, with a sand down between coats 2 and 3 plus a wipe down with White Spirit. I found that the Sapele looked better, as did the Black Boxwood, with a final coat of Matt. But the Maple Lower Hull is Satin. I'm also using Satin on the Port Linings and the Maroon Stripe.
The Gallery side panel has been added, I found this wasn't a particularly good fit and needed quite a bit of filling and trimming, as I've already mentioned I've lined the inside of the Galleries with Sapele, I didn't Stain or Line the back of the Panel as this surface is not visible. In retrospect I think it would've been better to spray the panels, rather than Brush Paint, although much of this will be hidden as the Decoration goes on.
Again the Photos would look better with decent light, another wet day in Dorset.

Andy

Gandale
#137 Posted : 17 September 2013 23:48:51

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Beautiful work there Andy, think your efforts have been very well rewarded....Cool Cool .. Have to say you have also given me food for thought as I really do like the finish you have gotten on the Sapele, think I just have another testing session on spare sapele strips.... Cool Cool .. Keep the pics coming

Regards

Alan
court orchard
#138 Posted : 17 September 2013 23:59:54

Thanks Alan, the light and the camera are not kind, it actually looks better to the eye. i was planning to photograph outdoors in natural light, but it's been a bit wet here today. The Sapele does reward a little bit of care and comes up beautifully, compensation for all that splitting and splintering.LOL
Andy

NMBROOK
#139 Posted : 18 September 2013 00:05:04

Groups:

Looking good AndyCool Cool If you very lightly rub the blackpanels with 1200 grade dry then spray over with mattcoat thinned 30% all your brushmarks will vanish.The rubbing down is only to remove the highspots you don't need to flat it right back.You will kill the shine on the brass,but at the same time prevent it from discolouring with oxidization.Just a thought.
Kind Regards Nigel
court orchard
#140 Posted : 18 September 2013 00:15:27

Thanks for the tip Nigel, I think I'll give that a go, cheers.
The Camera never lies, well not until you get onto PhotoshopLOL
Andy