Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

10 Pages «<678910>
AK's Sovereign Build Options
NMBROOK
#141 Posted : 18 September 2013 01:02:02

Groups:

court orchard wrote:
Thanks for the tip Nigel, I think I'll give that a go, cheers.
The Camera never lies, well not until you get onto PhotoshopLOL

I have to agree Andy,especially artificial light and camera combined.I quite often spot things looking at photos of my own build that I have to address.I think it is also that you are viewing a specific area and your eye isn't drawn by the entire model.
Kind Regards Nigel
court orchard
#142 Posted : 18 September 2013 01:19:59

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

That's so true Nigel. The eye and the mind are great deceivers, we see what we want to see. Must try harderLOL LOL
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
KobusBeukes
#143 Posted : 18 September 2013 06:05:45

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Andy

The finishing of the hull looks great!Love Well done!

Regards
Kobus

Current Build
HMS Sovereign of the Seas - First Build
Martyn Ingram
#144 Posted : 18 September 2013 08:30:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nice work Andy the hull looks bril rgd MartynBigGrin
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Hans
#145 Posted : 18 September 2013 09:23:28

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Well done Andy, great job on the hull.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
court orchard
#146 Posted : 18 September 2013 16:37:52

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

KobusBeukes wrote:
Hi Andy

The finishing of the hull looks great!Love Well done!

Regards

Thanks KobusBigGrin
Andy

Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
court orchard
#147 Posted : 18 September 2013 16:39:07

Martyn Ingram wrote:
BigGrin Nice work Andy the hull looks bril rgd MartynBigGrin

Thanks Martyn, is it only a year since I came back from WH Smiths with Issue OneLOL
Andy

court orchard
#148 Posted : 18 September 2013 16:41:53

Hans wrote:
Well done Andy, great job on the hull.

Thanks HansBigGrin
Andy

court orchard
#149 Posted : 18 September 2013 16:58:04

So as Nigel said, the finish on the Gallery Side Panel could be improved. So following his advice I rubbed down with Fine Paper and applied a spray coat. I used Satin, to avoid losing too much shine from the Windows and Frames. Much improved methinksBigGrin, thanks to NigelThumpUp
I've also started to correct an error on the Stern, where I took the Maple too high. I was tempted to bodge it with some stain, but in the spirit of doing things right, I have cut out and removed the offending planks and replaced them with Sapele ones, tricky but much more pleasing.BigGrin

Andy

Gandale
#150 Posted : 18 September 2013 22:54:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Andy, superb piece of work on the gallery and the correction you have made to the stern.... Drool Drool .. I really do like the look of that maple too, especially with it being varnished.... something maybe for one of my other builds.... Cool Cool .. Keep posting and I'll keep following....

Regards

Alan
NMBROOK
#151 Posted : 18 September 2013 23:04:48

Groups:

Excellent Andy,the varnish worked greatCool Cool Cool Cool.I know one or two things,but unfortunately Alchemy still evades meLOL LOL LOL LOL LOL .The correction to the planking is unnoticable,top workCool Cool Cool
Kind Regards Nigel
court orchard
#152 Posted : 19 September 2013 00:11:11

Gandale wrote:
Hi Andy, superb piece of work on the gallery and the correction you have made to the stern.... Drool Drool .. I really do like the look of that maple too, especially with it being varnished.... something maybe for one of my other builds.... Cool Cool .. Keep posting and I'll keep following....

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan, I think I got the idea of the Maple from Nigel too. I was going to use Sycamore but it wasn't good enough quality, or Holly but I couldn't find any.BigGrin
Andy

court orchard
#153 Posted : 19 September 2013 00:12:40

NMBROOK wrote:
Excellent Andy,the varnish worked greatCool Cool Cool Cool.I know one or two things,but unfortunately Alchemy still evades meLOL LOL LOL LOL LOL .The correction to the planking is unnoticable,top workCool Cool Cool
Kind Regards Nigel

Thanks Nigel, your work is an inspiration.ThumpUp
Andy

court orchard
#154 Posted : 04 October 2013 12:11:51

Having finally finished the tortuous task I set myself with the Cannon Port lining on both sides. It's time to make some more exciting progress.
Firstly I have fitted the Bow Platform. I'm avoiding fitting the Stem until the last possible minute as it makes the model much longer and more difficult to handle. I did not stain the platform, but planked it with spare Sapele strips. There was enough room for the extra 0.5mm thickness, so there was no need to adjust the slots for the Bow piece that sits above.
Next I added the 3rd deck supports, a pair of internal dividers came in very useful for this.
Before fitting the 4th and 5th deck supports, rather than paint, I glued a sheet of black paper below where the Gratings will be and gave it 2 coats of matt varnish.
The small blocks for the front port were also added, just to be sure, I backed these with an extra block, as it would be an impossible repair if these were to get pushed off during the fitting of the Dummy Cannon.

Andy

NMBROOK
#155 Posted : 04 October 2013 15:54:23

Groups:

Hi Andy
I bet you are glad the gun port lining milestone has now been passed.Nice work to the beakhead areaCool Cool .
Kind Regards Nigel
MWG
#156 Posted : 04 October 2013 18:32:55

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good work AndyBigGrin Kind regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

stevie_o
#157 Posted : 04 October 2013 20:02:54

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Gandale
#158 Posted : 04 October 2013 22:37:41

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Lovely work Andy and nice to see her progressing....Cool Cool .. Well done...
court orchard
#159 Posted : 04 October 2013 23:08:08

NMBROOK wrote:
Hi Andy
I bet you are glad the gun port lining milestone has now been passed.Nice work to the beakhead areaCool Cool .
Kind Regards Nigel

That's very true Nigel, but it's funny how quickly these chores fade into the distance. Thanks for the nice comment. The Beakhead area still looks ad bit untidy in the photo, it's moved on a bit since then, but I've run out of 1mm lime, so I'm waiting for that before I update again.
Andy

court orchard
#160 Posted : 04 October 2013 23:09:17

MWG wrote:
Good work AndyBigGrin Kind regards Mike

Thanks Mike, good to see you back in the zone or should I say spaceLOL
Andy