Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

10 Pages «<78910>
AK's Sovereign Build Options
court orchard
#161 Posted : 04 October 2013 23:10:28

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

stevie_o wrote:
Looking good Andy, coming on very nicely!
Steve

Thanks SteveBigGrin
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
court orchard
#162 Posted : 04 October 2013 23:11:53

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Gandale wrote:
Lovely work Andy and nice to see her progressing....Cool Cool .. Well done...

Thanks Alan, might need an index one dayLOL Flapper LOL
Andy

Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
court orchard
#163 Posted : 06 October 2013 17:53:48

Moving on again.
I have now varnished the Hull. For this I used Ronseal Ultra Tough giving three coats, with a sand after the second coat. The lower Hull Maple is Satin and the Upper Hull Matt.
I then added the third deck, this fitted very well with only some minor adjustment to the 2 Stern sections, it's always worrying then very gratifying when something fits well to something you built months ago. I added extra supports around the Hatches using 2 x 5mm Strip. It feels strong enough with these, so I am omitting the columns suggested in the magazine.
Next I have planked the Bow Bulkhead with 1mm thick Limewood, 5mm wide for the flat section and 2mm wide for the curved sections. I am intending to plank over this with Black Boxwood when the Forecastle Deck is in place.

Andy

Gandale
#164 Posted : 06 October 2013 18:12:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Beautiful work Andy, she really does look a dream...Drool Drool .. Very well done...

Regards

Alan
MWG
#165 Posted : 06 October 2013 18:18:56

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Andy the sunlight does do all the detail justiceBigGrin great build Kind regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

stevie_o
#166 Posted : 06 October 2013 18:27:40

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

NMBROOK
#167 Posted : 06 October 2013 21:12:38

Groups:

Fantastic work AndyCool Cool she looks fabulous.
Kind Regards Nigel
court orchard
#168 Posted : 06 October 2013 21:30:17

Gandale wrote:
Beautiful work Andy, she really does look a dream...Drool Drool .. Very well done...

Regards

Alan

Thanks a lot AlanBigGrin
Andy

court orchard
#169 Posted : 06 October 2013 21:37:37

MWG wrote:
Hi Andy the sunlight does do all the detail justiceBigGrin great build Kind regards Mike

Thanks Mike, we live in a very old house with small leaded windows and 2ft thick walls and the light's terrible, particularly for photography. So an outside shot is essential to show anything off to it's best. Still there's so much dust in old houses the wife doesn't notice the sawdustLOL LOL
Andy

court orchard
#170 Posted : 06 October 2013 21:41:04

stevie_o wrote:
Stunning work, especially the outdoor shot, looks perfect even in daylight.
Steve

Thanks SteveBigGrin
Andy

court orchard
#171 Posted : 06 October 2013 21:46:05

NMBROOK wrote:
Fantastic work AndyCool Cool she looks fabulous.
Kind Regards Nigel

Thanks Nigel, can't hold a candle up to yours, but I'm pleased with the results so far.BigGrin
Andy

Martyn Ingram
#172 Posted : 07 October 2013 18:36:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nice clean work Andy BigGrin Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
court orchard
#173 Posted : 07 October 2013 19:55:55

Martyn Ingram wrote:
BigGrin Nice clean work Andy BigGrin Rgd Martyn

Thanks very much, MartynBigGrin
Andy

arpurchase
#174 Posted : 12 October 2013 09:57:54

BigGrin Hi Andy
your pic,s seam to have gone awol probably just a silly mistake somewhere but im sure you would like everyone too view your endeviours
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

court orchard
#175 Posted : 12 October 2013 12:17:11

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi Andy
your pic,s seam to have gone awol probably just a silly mistake somewhere but im sure you would like everyone too view your endeviours
regards
AndyCool

Confused Confused Everything seems OK at my endConfused Confused
Andy

Dontshootme
#176 Posted : 12 October 2013 14:49:28

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

If it helps...I can still see them....so would imagine you may need to clear your cache Andy....it used to happen to a mate of mine back when I was running a gaming clan website.
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
court orchard
#177 Posted : 26 May 2014 19:58:02

I have returned to the SOTS after working on a couple of other model projects and some other stuff which I won't bore you with.
So here is an update on my progress, although I'm now a long way behind some other builders.
My first problem was the cannon ports as I had used the 5mm wide strip and this protrudes 3mm inside, this is only a problem on the 10 ports on the lower deck. What I decided to do was remove the linings completely and cut them down to 2mm then primed and sprayed them to match the outside. I then pre painted the bulwark lining strips, fitted them and trimmed out the ports before the port linings were refitted to the holes.
Meanwhile I planked the deck with 3mm tanganyika in a 3 butt shift pattern. This and the size of planks was chosen to match the decking plans in Endsor's The Restoration Warship. The caulking was added with felt pen, except on the butt ends where I used a 6B pencil to avoid seepage. The treenails were done using a 0.1mm drawing pen.
Next the two gratings were fitted, these are made from 2 Caldercraft 39mm gratings joined in the centre. These have 1.5mm holes, whilst this is still a little large they do still give some visibility and sense of the depth beneath which I feel is lost with anything smaller. I surrounded them with mitered 3mm walnut and hid the joint, which was still slightly visible, with a 2mm strip.
I have now started on the next 2 decks.

Andy

court orchard
#178 Posted : 26 May 2014 20:52:04

Hi Dominic,
Thanks for your nice comments.
The answer to your query is neither is correct by the instructions as the gratings officially have no cross members. So in fact you are correct. Mine is there partly because I joined 2 smaller gratings together.
Andy

Gandale
#179 Posted : 26 May 2014 21:52:11

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Andy, great to see you back on the SOTS build.... Cool Cool .. Lovely work, hope to see the next episode fairly soon....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
claret
#180 Posted : 28 May 2014 13:21:53

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Andy,

Welcome back, build looking excellent.

Regards
Claret
Also working on:
SOTS.
Moebius 1/32 Flying Sub with PE & lights.

Waiting in the wings:
Polarlights Spindrift from Land of the Giants.

finished:
007 Iconic DB5.