Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

162 Pages «<23456>»
My first ever build - SOTS Options
Gandale
#61 Posted : 13 October 2012 21:41:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Issue 6 arrived and inspected the parts closely for any signs of damage or warpage. Here is the items received and looks as if there isn't much to be done this week...
Gandale attached the following image(s):
DSCF0533.JPG
Gandale
#62 Posted : 13 October 2012 21:44:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Carefully cut out all the parts and sanded all the dark ash from the joining edges. Using PVA, assembled ribs 20 and 21, set them in my glass press to ensure they dried flat...
DSCF0537.JPG
Gandale
#63 Posted : 13 October 2012 21:50:15

Have been studying many build diaries on this forum and finding it truly inspirational with the different builds, techniques and tips that are available.... Head is now full of ideas and the problem I am now having is deciding which ones to incorporate into my build... Due to the lack of historic pictorial information on this ship I think it gives quite a wide scope for interpeting how the final build should look.... Wonder which way I will go...
Gandale
#64 Posted : 19 October 2012 00:32:38

Picked up issue 7 from the newagents today and after reading the magazine decided to get down to some work.... These are the parts contained, checked all the parts for possible damage or warpage, to my relief all is ok..
DSCF0539.JPG
Gandale
#65 Posted : 19 October 2012 00:35:54

Set about carefully separating the parts from the fret and using emery board carefully removed all the black ash from the joining surfaces.
DSCF0541.JPG
Gandale
#66 Posted : 19 October 2012 00:38:33

Using PVA glued parts 22a and 22b to rib 22, cleaned off any excess glue and placed the completed piece into my glass press to ensure it set flat. Will continue with the final keel section tomorrow....
DSCF0542.JPG
Gandale
#67 Posted : 19 October 2012 21:35:30

Decided now it was time to set to work proper on the keel and ribs, gluing everything in place... maybe I am being a little over cautious but having read through various builds it is an area I wanted to make sure I got absolutely spot on... get this part right and I think I may have a fighting chance of producing a nice build. Final keel section cleaned and glued in place, ensuring the brace pieces were firmly fitted and clamped in place. Left to dry before going any further.
DSCF0544.JPG
Gandale
#68 Posted : 19 October 2012 21:38:24

Now set about fitting the ribs, suffice to say the same procedure was carried out for each... Glued in place and using a set square ensured each rib was set to 90 degrees both to the keel and to the base board. Left each rib to set before moving onto the next...
DSCF0547.JPG
DSCF0548.JPG
DSCF0558.JPG
Gandale
#69 Posted : 19 October 2012 21:42:05

When all the ribs were set in place, I checked to ensure everything was level and that there was no twisting of the keel, did this using a leveling app on my smartphone, checking in several different places.. Noticed towards the stern of the ship the deck level starts to rise slighly.... Feeling confident everything is straight and true ready for the next issue....
DSCF0553.JPG
DSCF0554.JPG
DSCF0555.JPG
DSCF0556.JPG
DSCF0557.JPG
Gandale
#70 Posted : 19 October 2012 21:44:54

Thats all for now until the next issue.... happy building to all....
Gandale
#71 Posted : 23 October 2012 21:20:56

Having taken inspiration from MWG's build and excellent tutorial on using Balsa to fill between the ribs, I decided to make a start on my own build. First measuring the gap between the first two sets of ribs.
DSCF0563.JPG
Gandale
#72 Posted : 23 October 2012 21:24:29

Glued together Balsa of various thicknesses to the width of the gaps, I made up oversize blocks to fill the spaces making sure the dry fit was snug and ensuring the fit was not forced.
DSCF0567.JPG
DSCF0564.JPG
DSCF0565.JPG
DSCF0566.JPG
Gandale
#73 Posted : 23 October 2012 21:31:01

Trimmed the blocks down ensuring the fit was below the level of the bottom deck before setting the first blocks in place....
DSCF0570.JPG
Gandale
#74 Posted : 23 October 2012 21:36:05

Finally clamped in place and checked everything was still square and level... leaving to set before moving onto the next set of ribs...
DSCF0571.JPG
court orchard
#75 Posted : 24 October 2012 00:16:35

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Good work Alan, are you doing the whole Hull? I'm not 100% sure yet, but I can put the decision off for another week until my next parts arrive.
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
Gandale
#76 Posted : 24 October 2012 00:21:20

court orchard wrote:
Good work Alan, are you doing the whole Hull? I'm not 100% sure yet, but I can put the decision off for another week until my next parts arrive.

Thanks Andy. I intend to block fill the first two sets of ribs on the bow and at the stern.. the rest I will box fill... As it is my first attempt at this then anything that helps to make planking easier I will take as a bonus even though I fully intend to double plank with walnut on the lower hull and either maple or cherry for the upper.. not quite decided yet.....

Alan
court orchard
#77 Posted : 24 October 2012 00:52:02

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I'm fairly confident that double planking will be part of the build as it is standard on these models. So we will be supplied with a thinner hardwood when the time comes. The first planking will be with a thicker softer wood which will allow for lots of sanding to get a perfectly smooth surface and we will probably have to use some filler too. Start strengthening your sanding arm LOL
Andy

Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
Gandale
#78 Posted : 24 October 2012 01:18:23

court orchard wrote:
I'm fairly confident that double planking will be part of the build as it is standard on these models. So we will be supplied with a thinner hardwood when the time comes. The first planking will be with a thicker softer wood which will allow for lots of sanding to get a perfectly smooth surface and we will probably have to use some filler too. Start strengthening your sanding arm LOL

Lol, sanding arm is ready and waiting but will definately take my time on it... if that means just sanding a little every night then so be it..... Was surprised to hear you say that double planking is standard on these models as I don't recall Mr T's official build on the Vic being double planked... maybe I am wrong but will have a check again.... either way, I look forward to the challenge and no doubt will have lots of questions during the task...

Alan
court orchard
#79 Posted : 24 October 2012 01:59:25

You maybe right about the Victory as it was a painted finish or Copper tiling below the water line. But the SOTS is showing a wood finish above the waterline. I personally do not like the white finish below the waterline. The Endeavour showed this on the finished model pictures too, and there is written evidence that she was blacked with pitch and sulphur. I will be tempted to retain or add a wood finish as you suggest. Certainly a bright white finish didn't appear until circa 1770 when white lead started to be used.
Andy

Tomick
#80 Posted : 24 October 2012 16:52:40

Groups:

Indeed the model is double planked, the first layer being of 2 x 5mm bamboo which starts at issue 17, with the planking of the gallery and the first hull plank laid, and the second layer being a 1.5 x 5mm Sapele veneer plank.