Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

20 Pages 123>»
Admirals HMS Sovereign of the seas adventure Options
Admiral Anti Spiral
#1 Posted : 28 September 2012 00:35:33

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Pleased to be saying i will be starting my second wooden ship build, and my first build diary, i am new to this so forgive me for any mistakes i may make along the way, i will be building to the utmost detail i can produceBigGrin .

I plan to make this ship as true to the 1637 build, so i've come across many useful images and a very good czech forum which will help along the way, as well as other model builds of HMS Sovereign with detailed images, so this should be a fun build Smile

I have already started this build so i will be showing what i have done from here on out, my camera isn't the best but its all i got.

Bow keel was slightly off so i simply added some folder paper between piece 10 and the keel

Used a laser line and its much straighter.
Processing - Progressing

Previous builds: HMS Victory
Current build: HMS Sovereign of the seas
Admiral Anti Spiral
#2 Posted : 28 September 2012 00:51:59

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Next i started on the cannons. very nice detailed cannons

The red i first used to paint was a bit too right, came across a bit of trouble with my paints, added some black with thinner to make it darker and some of the red started to come off, but in the end im pleased, but i will be buying some slightly dark red in the future.

For the bronze i pretty much did the same, except i wanted it to be more gold than shown in the magazine, so painted it gold and added some black thinner, makes the details stand out more. Might be hard to see but i also drilled some small holes and added some wire to make it out to be pins.

Later started on the tackle blocks, was going to stain the blocks but im after looking at some pictures of cannons such as from the victory its fine as it is, though for the eye bolts they seemed a bit big, lucky i had some smaller ones from a different model ship, decided to use those instead.
Oh also used some thin rope instead of the wire.

Cannon along side a figure, sadly i have no crew figures so a character from my gundam models will have to do Laugh
Processing - Progressing

Tomick
#3 Posted : 28 September 2012 09:05:06

Groups:

Nice start Cool
MWG
#4 Posted : 28 September 2012 10:39:34

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Admiral I like what you have done with the cannonsBigGrin Regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Ger C
#5 Posted : 28 September 2012 12:53:08

Hi Admiral,

Looks like you are off to a great start
markcav
#6 Posted : 28 September 2012 12:57:50

Groups:

Hi,

I'm glad to see that you've done away with that horrible wire pal, your builds looking excellent mate - top job.

M
Admiral Anti Spiral
#7 Posted : 28 September 2012 17:26:59

Thanks for the kind words guys BigGrin i'll be doing a bit more tomorrow when i get issue 4 Smile
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#8 Posted : 29 September 2012 21:19:53

Moving on, picked up issue 4 today, shame they dont give you much but i suppose thats just how it works.

Went ahead and made a simple jig, althought im not completely sure on why a jig is really needed when you get the wooden slabs to hold the keel, but i guess it does make it that one bit better.

Hes my simple way of making the ribs, metal ruler and clamps... some glue too.

Sanded down the edges.

(Not glued in place)
So far its looking good, cant wait to get more Smile
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#9 Posted : 29 September 2012 21:32:41

Also thought i'd make a little tutorial on how i make the wooden blocks with string.
Please excuse this lol, my tablet is broken so i would draw it out but this will have to do >.<

Update tomorrow on the anchor and maybe more :)
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#10 Posted : 02 October 2012 17:45:23

So i've finished the Anchor, they seem a bit small compared to the victory's anchors i have, but i am pleased with how they've come out.

Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#11 Posted : 02 October 2012 17:50:48

I've decided to stain the wood with some Teak

And then i was thinking of simply cutting some paper coloured black with felt pen, but i think it would of been too thin and hard (paper could tear)
So instead i just used some string, very nice string im not sure what type it is, but i think its about 0.5

The anchor its self i sprayed matt black, was quite annoying putting the anchor in the wood, the paint would come off but its fine just paint it back on with a brush, i doubt i'll paint the gold ring, it will be covered with black string. Thanks all for now :)
Processing - Progressing

MWG
#12 Posted : 02 October 2012 18:10:58

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Admiral, black computor card works well instead of threadBigGrin Regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Admiral Anti Spiral
#13 Posted : 03 October 2012 04:07:45

MWG wrote:
Hi Admiral, black computor card works well instead of threadBigGrin Regards Mike

Yeah i was thinking of that but i decided to just go with what i had at the time ^^
Maybe i'll get rid of the thread and sand it down and use some card, thanks.
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#14 Posted : 06 October 2012 20:32:49

Picked up issue 5
Nothing much today

Went aheaad and built the rest of the keel, could of just left it under some weight and keep it straight but i didn't think there was any need so far the keel is nice and straight.

Just used wood glue and clamps, theres a very small space for error when glueing on the wooden supports otherwise the frames will be a very tight fit.

Once again for the frames.

This frame was slightly wonky when glueing so i'll be leaving it under some weight :(
Thats all for now, might pick up issue 6 and 7 together, looking forward to finishing the keel in issue 7 :)
Processing - Progressing

mark 2
#15 Posted : 07 October 2012 15:08:26

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Admiral.
You have made a great start.
Keep pics coming.
Best regards.
Mark
Admiral Anti Spiral
#16 Posted : 07 October 2012 18:07:47

mark 2 wrote:
Hi Admiral.
You have made a great start.
Keep pics coming.
Best regards.
Mark

Thanks mark, i'll be sure to have some fun with the diary :)
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#17 Posted : 13 October 2012 19:45:51

Not much to report.

Simply the frames in issue 6 have been built, looking forward to finishing the keel with issue 7.
I also noticed in issue 8 you get a boat, although i never noticed a boat in the model on the cover, but i also noticed you get the boat with HMS Victory, so i wonder is it just a 'test' boat? something to get used to so that when you build the ship you understand how it works?
All i know is im looking forward to that, should be fun :)Drool
More to sail into this port in the future...
Processing - Progressing

court orchard
#18 Posted : 13 October 2012 20:10:29

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi AAS,
No that's going to be be a ships Boat, there will probably be more than one. Most Ships carried several for various jobs from ship to shore or even towing the ship up river. Cutters, Pinnaces etc. What they weren't however were lifeboats as they could only take about a tenth of a typical warships crew, Officers and Captain first presumably. It will however be a gentle intro to the joys of planking.
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
Admiral Anti Spiral
#19 Posted : 13 October 2012 21:05:15

court orchard wrote:
Hi AAS,
No that's going to be be a ships Boat, there will probably be more than one. Most Ships carried several for various jobs from ship to shore or even towing the ship up river. Cutters, Pinnaces etc. What they weren't however were lifeboats as they could only take about a tenth of a typical warships crew, Officers and Captain first presumably. It will however be a gentle intro to the joys of planking.

Aahhh okay thanks for the into, i guessed it would of been something along those lines, seeing as theres no where to really hang the boats off the ship (from what i can see). but i do love a bit of planking.
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#20 Posted : 14 October 2012 20:31:14

so i've started working on the front keel sanding down the edges for the planking so its nice and smooth
As such.

i used a filing knife and a simple block of wood with sand paper.
After i glued the piece on finally, as well as frame 5 and i've noticed the front keel is more wonky than i thoughtGlare
And well... not very easy to explain i hope someone can help me fix this minor problem though. i could just say oh well nothing big, but i am a perfectionist after all Blushing

im wondering maybe when planking the hull maybe i could fix it into position. or maybe sand down the fixing positions of the other frames to match??
Processing - Progressing