Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

20 Pages «<1617181920>
Admirals HMS Sovereign of the seas adventure Options
Admiral Anti Spiral
#341 Posted : 31 July 2013 14:25:22

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

so little work has gone on, been waiting for some superglue to come(which just has) so i can finish the planking, though planking still takes a while with waiting for some planks to dry for curving though i think im coming to the end of curving planks, so after that i'll be fitting the wales.
i've already fitted one which instead i've decided to paint black instead of stain, it just wasn't dark enough for me and i want it to match the painted upper hull which i will start to paint after i've finished planking.

i've also done little work on this top deck(not sure why) but realised instead of curving the beams i'll just add straight ones and add a thick plank running along the middle raising the deck.

Processing - Progressing

Previous builds: HMS Victory
Current build: HMS Sovereign of the seas
NMBROOK
#342 Posted : 31 July 2013 21:37:19

Groups:

Hi Admiral
Whilst your idea may seem a good one regarding deck camber,from experience I would recommend against it for the following reasons;
If using thicker ply,the deck beam will drop overtime in the middle
If using thin ply either it will kink in the middle or after a little time,it will dip either side of the middle plank so you will see the support show through
I have experienced both these issues and whilst there is now guarantee it will happen on your build,I personally wouldn't want to risk it.Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Kind Regards Nigel
Gandale
#343 Posted : 31 July 2013 22:37:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Planking is looking really good Admiral, you're nearly there so keep it going and am sure you will be proud of the finish....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Admiral Anti Spiral
#344 Posted : 01 August 2013 00:42:16

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

NMBROOK wrote:
Hi Admiral
Whilst your idea may seem a good one regarding deck camber,from experience I would recommend against it for the following reasons;
If using thicker ply,the deck beam will drop overtime in the middle
If using thin ply either it will kink in the middle or after a little time,it will dip either side of the middle plank so you will see the support show through
I have experienced both these issues and whilst there is now guarantee it will happen on your build,I personally wouldn't want to risk it.Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Kind Regards Nigel

ah i see nigel, i wouldn't say its such bad news but good news seeing as if i had gone along with it, it may of cause problems but thank you very much i appreciate your advice, i'll just have to work on it and think something upBigGrin BigGrin
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#345 Posted : 01 August 2013 00:43:42

Gandale wrote:
Planking is looking really good Admiral, you're nearly there so keep it going and am sure you will be proud of the finish....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

thanksBigGrin, so close but still feels like it will take ages, planking clearly isn't my strong spotLOL BigGrin
Processing - Progressing

claret
#346 Posted : 01 August 2013 11:34:33

Hi Admiral,

I disagree, planking is looking bril, so is clearly a strong spot! Slowly does it, the best way.

Regards
Claret
Also working on:
SOTS.
Moebius 1/32 Flying Sub with PE & lights.

Waiting in the wings:
Polarlights Spindrift from Land of the Giants.

finished:
007 Iconic DB5.
Admiral Anti Spiral
#347 Posted : 01 August 2013 23:53:47

claret wrote:
Hi Admiral,

I disagree, planking is looking bril, so is clearly a strong spot! Slowly does it, the best way.

Regards
Claret

ahah thanks for saying so claret, im a bit of a perfectionist so i would of prefered it to be better but im happy overall
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#348 Posted : 01 August 2013 23:56:28

the good thing about this heat is that planks dry quite quickly in the heat, so im glad to say i've finally finished the hull planking, needs some sanding down because its pretty dirty so i will post some pictures tomorrow, just glad to have it finally finished so i can move on!BigGrin BigGrin
Processing - Progressing

NMBROOK
#349 Posted : 02 August 2013 00:02:30

Groups:

Glad to hear you have your planking done AdmiralBigGrin .I think that is one of the few good things about this heat.
Kind Regards Nigel
Admiral Anti Spiral
#350 Posted : 02 August 2013 22:42:37

well finally finally its done, not perfectly smooth, still got some work to do which is the dreaded treenailing, the two sides came out a little differently but i kind of expected that to happen but it wont be easily spotted(i hope) also had some problems when sanding down the upper hull which made me decided not to use sapele again, its just so brittle its not worth boring with..
so for now its on with the marking of the treenailing, painted the top black, needs one more coat and then i'll fit the wales with boxwood, i'd rather use 1mm but all i can seem to find is the 0.7mm. Then a little work on the gunports, then i'll move onto working on the other side of the ship, the stern and the two lower gunports.. should all be fun but i'd love to move onto the deck now LOL BigGrin

Processing - Progressing

NMBROOK
#351 Posted : 02 August 2013 23:07:38

Groups:

She is looking brill AdmiralCool Cool lovely work,well worth the effort.If you want to fill a small gap like the one shown in the pic,I recommend Ronseal Natural Pine coloured wood filler.It is a perfect match to the maple when varnished.If you use it though,put masking tape around the hole,this stops the pigment in the woodfiller marking the surrounding timber.
Kind Regards Nigel
Gandale
#352 Posted : 02 August 2013 23:25:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Now that is looking wonderful Admiral, a credit to you.... Drool Drool .. Nice list of tasks you've outlined so looks like it will be a while before you get to the decks....BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin .. hope you can be patient....Cool Cool .. Keep posting, loving your build and of course I haven't forgotten about you lighting project..... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Admiral Anti Spiral
#353 Posted : 03 August 2013 17:56:54

NMBROOK wrote:
She is looking brill AdmiralCool Cool lovely work,well worth the effort.If you want to fill a small gap like the one shown in the pic,I recommend Ronseal Natural Pine coloured wood filler.It is a perfect match to the maple when varnished.If you use it though,put masking tape around the hole,this stops the pigment in the woodfiller marking the surrounding timber.
Kind Regards Nigel

thanks nigel and for the great tip, but i think its already too late for me, i had already filled it with some black card but no matter im greatful for that informationBigGrin BigGrin
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#354 Posted : 03 August 2013 18:00:10

Gandale wrote:
Now that is looking wonderful Admiral, a credit to you.... Drool Drool .. Nice list of tasks you've outlined so looks like it will be a while before you get to the decks....BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin .. hope you can be patient....Cool Cool .. Keep posting, loving your build and of course I haven't forgotten about you lighting project..... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

LOL LOL ahah i hope i can be patient too, but atleast its nice to move on slightly for laying planks over and over.
i almost forgot about the lighting myselfBigGrin but i got some plans for that top little light house which im hoping to do before fitting the gallery parts, and because i've taken out most of the wires its easier to get in places without worrying about breaking the wiringBigGrin thanks for your comments!
Processing - Progressing

jase
#355 Posted : 03 August 2013 18:53:30

The planking looks really good - top job

J
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Admiral Anti Spiral
#356 Posted : 06 August 2013 23:40:02

jase wrote:
The planking looks really good - top job

J

Thank you jaseBigGrin
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#357 Posted : 16 August 2013 16:28:07

not much work has gone on but happy ive done something, almost finished fitting the left side wales, happy with the look, there was a tricky curve at the stern which is covered up with some newspaper as im also cutting out the two gun ports(would hate to get the ship all messy again) a bit tricky also as they're placed near the decks which will also need to be slightly cut, other than that not much else, will be raising the top deck slightly though the deck will sit lower at a different angle.
OH also found a slight annoying problem.. somehow i've managed to make the 5 top deck gun ports on one side 2mm too low.. not really sure how to fix it or if i should even bother as only one side will be seen, so for now im leaving it as it isGlare

Processing - Progressing

Tomick
#358 Posted : 16 August 2013 17:38:25

Groups:

Nice work Cool

You could think about putting infil peices on the bottom ledge of each port to raise them by 2mm then simply cut the height 2mm higher. It wont be seen on the inside as the inside bulwark is skinned, and the outside skinned with veneer painted black.
NMBROOK
#359 Posted : 16 August 2013 18:13:19

Groups:

Good work AdmiralCool It is nice to see your take on the mods,and those two gun ports are a pain as they foul all the internal structure.I am sorry to hear about the little mishap,but it is a fairly easy fix and I would recommend you do it because if you don't it will niggle you every time you look at the model.At the end of the day we are all human,so we do make mistakes,so I wouldn't let you annoy you too much.
Kind Regards Nigel
Gandale
#360 Posted : 16 August 2013 21:35:34

Looking great Admiral, sorry to hear about your ports being too low but am sure you will be able to sort it out... I agree with Nigel and Mr T, you should fix it otherwise it will annoy you every time you look at the finished build....Blink Blink .. Did a dry fit of my decks today and I may have a similar problem to you and I think I am going to take the route of lowering the deck slightly, will start looking at it seriously tomorrow and take it from there.... will be posting my solution as it progresses..... Good luck with it... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan