Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

20 Pages «<17181920>
Admirals HMS Sovereign of the seas adventure Options
Gandale
#361 Posted : 17 August 2013 23:21:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Just to let you know, have now posted initial details of my fix on the low port problem, hopefully you will find it useful.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Admiral Anti Spiral
#362 Posted : 18 August 2013 12:03:40

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Tomick wrote:
Nice work Cool

You could think about putting infil peices on the bottom ledge of each port to raise them by 2mm then simply cut the height 2mm higher. It wont be seen on the inside as the inside bulwark is skinned, and the outside skinned with veneer painted black.

thanks Mr T a great idea i may just go with, though i'll probably leave it until i'll plank the instead of the hull, plus i need to work out how many gun ports are at the wrong level BigGrin
Processing - Progressing

Previous builds: HMS Victory
Current build: HMS Sovereign of the seas
Admiral Anti Spiral
#363 Posted : 18 August 2013 12:05:30

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

NMBROOK wrote:
Good work AdmiralCool It is nice to see your take on the mods,and those two gun ports are a pain as they foul all the internal structure.I am sorry to hear about the little mishap,but it is a fairly easy fix and I would recommend you do it because if you don't it will niggle you every time you look at the model.At the end of the day we are all human,so we do make mistakes,so I wouldn't let you annoy you too much.
Kind Regards Nigel

well to start with i think i had already messed up some gun ports and had to fill them so hopefully after these few it'll be the end of that and end of mistakes BigGrin BigGrin
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#364 Posted : 18 August 2013 12:09:45

Gandale wrote:
Looking great Admiral, sorry to hear about your ports being too low but am sure you will be able to sort it out... I agree with Nigel and Mr T, you should fix it otherwise it will annoy you every time you look at the finished build....Blink Blink .. Did a dry fit of my decks today and I may have a similar problem to you and I think I am going to take the route of lowering the deck slightly, will start looking at it seriously tomorrow and take it from there.... will be posting my solution as it progresses..... Good luck with it... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

thanks alan, i'll probably fix it after hearing from the comments but im not sure when, the sooner the better probably. the gun ports and deck height are a bit weird with how close together they are but i suppose maybe its like that to accommodate for the unproportionate gun carriages given which are also a bit weird, though i guess if done the same as the magazine it'll look nice but its also nice to add some changes just to make it that bit more different BigGrin BigGrin
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#365 Posted : 25 August 2013 17:32:11

small update, been working on making some beams for the 3rd deck, pretty straight forward and simple though measuring the right length is a bit tricky, still not sure what level to put the beams at as im going to be using different cannons. Also the problem with the gunports is worse than i thought, im not sure how its happened but basically all the measurements are the same on both sides, the bottom of the 3rd deck gun ports are at the same distance from the top of the hull wall, and the 2nd deck gun ports are at the same distance from the top of the hull as is the distance between decks 2 and 3. more thinking is needed and better explanation so next update i'll take some pictures and edit them.

Processing - Progressing

NMBROOK
#366 Posted : 25 August 2013 19:17:46

Groups:

Hi Admiral
Have you tried putting a straight edge across the tops of the hull at 90 deg to the centreline and measuring the heights down to the next deck down at various positions.It doesn't matter what the measurements are,it's more a case of making sure they are the same at both sides of the hull.This will
establish that the hull tops are true to the hull frame.If everything tally's then it may be an issue with deck 2 or 3 rather than the gunports.
Hope this is of some help.
Kind Regards Nigel
Gandale
#367 Posted : 25 August 2013 22:52:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Admiral, excellent work....Cool Cool .. Have to agree with Nigel, don't think the measurements matter too much. Even when I lowered my deck I did not alter the tops of the hull at all, in fact they are slightly higher than they should be and have yet to be trimmed back.. When trimming them this is when I will be ensuring they are the same height on both sides..... at least, that's my plan.....Cool Cool .. Good luck with her...

Regards

Alan
Admiral Anti Spiral
#368 Posted : 27 August 2013 22:10:01

NMBROOK wrote:
Hi Admiral
Have you tried putting a straight edge across the tops of the hull at 90 deg to the centreline and measuring the heights down to the next deck down at various positions.It doesn't matter what the measurements are,it's more a case of making sure they are the same at both sides of the hull.This will
establish that the hull tops are true to the hull frame.If everything tally's then it may be an issue with deck 2 or 3 rather than the gunports.
Hope this is of some help.
Kind Regards Nigel

Hi nigel, after understanding what you meant i've measured it up in some places and they are roughly the same on both sides maybe 0.5mm off in some places which is good to know.
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#369 Posted : 27 August 2013 22:11:58

Gandale wrote:
Hi Admiral, excellent work....Cool Cool .. Have to agree with Nigel, don't think the measurements matter too much. Even when I lowered my deck I did not alter the tops of the hull at all, in fact they are slightly higher than they should be and have yet to be trimmed back.. When trimming them this is when I will be ensuring they are the same height on both sides..... at least, that's my plan.....Cool Cool .. Good luck with her...

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan, im glad to find that the tops shouldn't need adjusting seeing as all the measurements were the same on both sides, which is why im so confused as to how these extra 1-2mms have come fromConfused
Processing - Progressing

NMBROOK
#370 Posted : 27 August 2013 22:39:58

Groups:

Hi Admiral
If the measurements are the same both sides and the gunports are the same from the top,I would set the deck to the gunports.I know it is annoying,but you could spend and age trying to chase down where the discrepancy is.I don't think it is going to be detrimental as you will never see it when the build is together.Now if the height from the deck to the bottom of the gunports were different at each side when finished that would be cause for concern.
Kind Regards Nigel
Admiral Anti Spiral
#371 Posted : 05 September 2013 14:38:09

Small update, not done much work been busy, but i've done something atleast, although i probably should of finished the wales and treenailing.

For now i've done some work on the deck beams and worked on the top stern deck, messing with the angles of the hull, for this i used the thick wood supplied, lime is great but i think its too soft for me to work with on this. this wont be the height on which the deck sits but the hull wall, the curve was a bit awkward so i've had to make some cuts to allow it to bend, then i've stuck some pins in the bottom to hold it in place but im not sure yet whether to fix it with woodglue/superglue or some epoxy im waiting to use for the keel and stern post, after that i will have to bulk it up to same thickness of the rest of the hull.

i should of stuck a ruler to these sides to make it easier to show the difference but here is my problem, all other measurements are fine, the deck height is fine, though the dip in the middle seems a little exaggerated, other than that this is the only problem i can find, it may of been caused when i was raising the height, but the height of the walls are as they should be.

(Right side)

(Left side(Correct)
Processing - Progressing

NMBROOK
#372 Posted : 05 September 2013 18:18:32

Groups:

Hi Admiral
I see your dilemma.I take it you refer to the depth of hull above the midships gunports.I had a similar problem on one of my builds.I found the compromise was to build the low side up with a strip of wood half the difference and trim the high side down by half the difference.In other words,if one side is 4mm and the other 6mm,make them both 5mm.As long as the deck is the same height from the gunport cill so the relationship between cannon and port is the same both sides it will be hardly noticable.
The curved inboard bulkheads work in your favour here,preventing eyeballing from one side to the other.
Kind Regards Nigel
Admiral Anti Spiral
#373 Posted : 05 September 2013 22:18:16

NMBROOK wrote:
Hi Admiral
I see your dilemma.I take it you refer to the depth of hull above the midships gunports.I had a similar problem on one of my builds.I found the compromise was to build the low side up with a strip of wood half the difference and trim the high side down by half the difference.In other words,if one side is 4mm and the other 6mm,make them both 5mm.As long as the deck is the same height from the gunport cill so the relationship between cannon and port is the same both sides it will be hardly noticable.
The curved inboard bulkheads work in your favour here,preventing eyeballing from one side to the other.
Kind Regards Nigel

Hi nigel, i've made sure the deck/beams are all the same distance from the gunports, which leads me to think maybe the gunports are just at curvy angle, its not too big a problem i suppose, but im not planning on changing anything drasticly unless needed
Processing - Progressing

Gandale
#374 Posted : 05 September 2013 22:24:39

Stunning work Admiral and to be honest I don't really see the dip you are referring too, can only think it is visible to the expert eye...Blink Blink .. Look forward to seeing how you progress.... Cool Cool ..

Regards

Alan
claret
#375 Posted : 10 September 2013 08:57:46

Hi admiral,

Fab work thereDrool .

I am sure you will get it sorted, although like Alan, i can not see it.

Regards
Claret
Also working on:
SOTS.
Moebius 1/32 Flying Sub with PE & lights.

Waiting in the wings:
Polarlights Spindrift from Land of the Giants.

finished:
007 Iconic DB5.
Admiral Anti Spiral
#376 Posted : 13 October 2013 23:51:20

Well, its finally time to post something again, not posted anything in a while because well, i haven't done anything in a while, been a bit busy and lost a bit interest in carrying on, so i took a little break, now im back and have more determination to work on it again, though little has been done.

I've added the two additions to the top of the stern, its not seamless but it will be later much covered up anyway, much happier with it like this.

Next i've given up on the idea of Leds on the main deck, altogether it would be too many leds for a small battery, so i'll just stick to the gallery and the main lantern.
so with that i've stuck the beams in place, im not going to raise the center of the deck, would take too much work and i just want to get it sorted, but i will do it to the other decks where it would be noticeable, i've already started on making the deck with some black paper, all i need is to find a type of wood i'll be happy with and some gratings.
(Also while working on the beams i've realised i've made even more mistakes with measuring the gunports correctly which makes some of them slightly off to the sides by 1-2mm)

lastly a small edit, simply covered up the side entrances, no point in having them open when theres nothing to see.

Thats all for now, hopefully i'll post again soon, not sure when that will be or what with.
Processing - Progressing

NMBROOK
#377 Posted : 14 October 2013 01:47:15

Groups:

Glad to see you are back on your build Admiral BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin .The modelling equivalent of writers block can come to us all.It can be beneficial sometimes to have a break and then come back to it with a fresh frame of mind.
Kind Regards Nigel
claret
#378 Posted : 14 October 2013 08:57:00

Hi Admiral,

Looking great, keep it up!

Regards
Claret
Also working on:
SOTS.
Moebius 1/32 Flying Sub with PE & lights.

Waiting in the wings:
Polarlights Spindrift from Land of the Giants.

finished:
007 Iconic DB5.
MWG
#379 Posted : 14 October 2013 13:07:26

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good Stuff DominicBigGrin Kind regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

karl1113
#380 Posted : 14 October 2013 16:09:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

nicely done,very neat.Cool
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/