Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
is the shed really good as a workspace? Options
tom.ganc
#1 Posted : 05 May 2010 12:51:45

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi there

I was reading many posts about having your workshop in the shed and I'm not quite sure about it. Having wood as a main construction material and keeping it in the shed where by is exposed to damp conditions sometimes don't seems to be great idea.
I've got wooden shed myself and I know state of it after few days of rain and let's be honest - rain is the most we get in some parts in this country Bored

Last thing I want to get is my ship absorbing all the damp from the air cosint wooden parts to change shape little bit.

What do you think about it?

Tom
snowtiger
#2 Posted : 05 May 2010 13:30:42

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi tom ....to be honest i think the worst place to keep it in the shed ....as it is classed as out doors....work on it in the shed but keep it in doors...i have a shed ...but it's full of allsorts....so my work space is the kitchen table ...(much to my missus annoyance..LOL )...the less damp and tempature change the better...remember wood warps a lot, how much more small parts of planking and ply..Blink

hope this helps.BigGrin

John...
jonny7england
#3 Posted : 05 May 2010 15:32:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Yup...I have got to say that I agree with you shipmates, I was considering the shed but then the visions of dampness and temperature changes such as a hot sun bearing down on its roof at the height of summer and me slowly melting in the process soon threw the dampeners on the idea, so, the missus (she who must be obeyed) has to put up with me building Victory in the bedroom under the front window..she even bought me a mini vacuum cleaner..was that a hint missus? Blink At least it's quiet and out of the way..BigGrin John
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
Capt Stedders
#4 Posted : 05 May 2010 17:28:47

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I guess it all depends on how great the shed is.

BigGrin

But, being in the process of turning the small bedroom of my house into a workshop/studio (after getting by with a combination of shed and tea tray for far too long) I would have to say that a dedicated room for all ones modelmaking needs is going to be the business.

Schnellboots on back burner

Tools.

Zeptrader
#5 Posted : 05 May 2010 18:08:55

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

In a perfect world I agree, having a room in the house is for me, BUT as my case I dont have that space, so the shed it is, the model itself is in doors (Bouny) as will the Victory be as soon as we get the hull done, horses for courses really.
Alexhill
#6 Posted : 05 May 2010 18:17:44

I have to admit I'm a bit spoiled here, I'm single and moving and one of my requirements is a room that will be dedicated as my office/hobby space. One of the upsides to being single is that I don't have to get permission to make 1/3 of the house a hobby area :D
My last place had a dedicated room as well and I can easily fill the space as I'll have 3 builds going. One thing I have found is key to this hobby, at least for me, is being able to keep everything out and in view. I have a tendancy to "forget" hobbying for long periods of time if I put things away etc. Having everything out makes it a lot easier for me to grab an hour here and there.

Cheers

-=A
Jack Sparrow
#7 Posted : 05 May 2010 20:50:05

My space is in the dinning room at my computer desk. Its big enough to work at, but i do have to pack away when i am done. Not a problem though and it suits the Guv'nor to, as i am out of the way!!!!LOL LOL BigGrin
pamlupo
#8 Posted : 05 May 2010 21:44:32

I had the loft fully insulated and then board between the rafters. I can just about stand up at 5'6" but I have a desk and room 10X10 but most of all peace and quiet and I can leave bits around......

Argh.....Love
Pam
andylangtree
#9 Posted : 05 May 2010 21:57:12

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Split from other half 2 year ago so have full house to myself. I have just built a 6x4 foot workbench and put it in front room. Ace being my own boss.
Malcolm
#10 Posted : 05 May 2010 22:57:46

Drool Drool You all are making me jealous as i only have a one bedroon flat I share with my disabled wife this talk of sheds and seperate rooms is upsettingLaugh Laugh
Only got room for one build,
but might try and sneek in a small one later
Have snuck in the Endevour
snowtiger
#11 Posted : 05 May 2010 23:10:51

My step son is talking about moving out to the usa...i am already thinking up plans for his room...after it's been fumigated (typical smelly teenager)....hell i might even help him pack...LOL LOL LOL
Zeptrader
#12 Posted : 05 May 2010 23:15:16

Quote:
after it's been fumigated (typical smelly teenager)....

Ha, dont I just know what thats like, now my son room is a spare room for my grandaughter when she stays and my guitar room for teaching, nice and clean now.
ArtfulBodger
#13 Posted : 08 May 2010 13:34:09

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Well I have to work in the shed. Somewhere between the lawnmower and a load of seed potatoes (yes, I know they should be in by now). Working in the house was vetoed, so I said "I'll work where I want!"
I'm now living in the shed!!!
ArtfulBodger

Previous Build:
HMS. Bounty
snowtiger
#14 Posted : 08 May 2010 14:24:53

ArtfulBodger wrote:
Well I have to work in the shed. Somewhere between the lawnmower and a load of seed potatoes (yes, I know they should be in by now). Working in the house was vetoed, so I said "I'll work where I want!"
I'm now living in the shed!!!

At least that way you get all the peace and quiet you need...BigGrin BigGrin
Son of Bulwark
#15 Posted : 08 May 2010 16:25:42

The shed isn't a safe place to store your naval masterpiece, it's ok to build it in a shed if you can get into it!Cursing
No sooner do you get it cleared and someone will come along to dump something into it again! Cursing Cursing

I'm lucky! this isn't a problem for me!. I can use the bedroom for my workspace with a 5 foot by 30 inch desk to work on I also have space for my computer to go online see what others are doing on their build while I work on mine.LOL
But best of all NO MISSUS TO COMPLAIN!!!... Laugh
ccarlos
#16 Posted : 09 May 2010 11:06:35

oh well....

shed is packed...with crap...and i think it would be bloody freezing in there...

have another option, the garage, as the cars are too big to fit in there, that is a space that could be used better...but would still be freezing and would still have to create a hole in the wall and fit a door to access it better without moving the cars in the drive...

so i use the kitchen table...gizz...my missus says ill come and sleep with the models...just imagine how it looks with a pt scratch build!? hahaha...
on the bench
Endeavour Long Boat - awaiting paint delivery and some power tools to hit the next stage.
HMS Victory - Same situation has everyone else, grumpy till the next issue gets delivered!

Carlos Carlos
streaky
#17 Posted : 14 May 2010 21:19:29

Well, there're sheds and and there are SHEDS Cool . I spent a couple of years designing, building and fitting out my shed. It's fully insulated and carpeted with thermostatic heating and extractor fan.

I had a bit of a clear out today in preparation for starting 'Streaky's Build' and thought I'd take a few snaps whilst it's looking clean and tidy.

It's quite small but very comfortable and is used for model ship building, drinking wine, reading Jazz mags (esp. Miles Davis Wink) and fixing my kids broken toys.

There are plenty of 240v and 12v outlets and transformer for tools; flourescent flood lighting and multiple 12v direct lighting for close-up work; thermostatic heating; extractor fan; wired internet connection; telephone and intercom to house. There's also TV and DAB aerials on the roof and it's fully alarmed.

The wrap-around bench and storage was designed and fitted by me and is pretty sturdy and comfortable.

I'm often told that I spend too much time in my shed BigGrin

Malcolm
#18 Posted : 14 May 2010 21:24:24

Love Love Love With a shed like that I would never come outDrool Drool Drool
Only got room for one build,
but might try and sneek in a small one later
Have snuck in the Endevour
CaptnBirdseye
#19 Posted : 14 May 2010 22:32:18

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Drool Drool Drool Wow Streaky, you certainly know how to make a guy jealous!!!
nuff respect!
Personally, i don't have a shed,only a garage. Was going to use that, but wifey (god bless her) suggested using the study! Just needed a bit of moving around.

just need more parts of boat now. GRRRR!!!
Mac
#20 Posted : 14 May 2010 22:35:01

Wow! very very nice!BigGrin Puts my workbench to shame. welcome aboard mateyBigGrin
Pam's shipyard is closed for now no more room!