Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Crash's SotS build Options
cptcrash
#1 Posted : 09 October 2012 14:57:48

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hey there one and all...*cue nervous laughter*...
I'm complletly new to this kind of model making and like many I've picked the Sovereign to start out with (hopefully not bitten off more then I can chew). Just got issues 2 and 3 in the post so hopefully 4 and 5 wont be far behind and then I can start building towards the end of the month when i get a few days leave from work :D
As a complete newbie to this all tips and suggestions are greatly recieved! a shopping list of tools i'll need for the first few parts would be great if anyone would furnish me with one.
Anyway enough waffling i'll post back here again when the building starts in a little while...
peace
Tomick
#2 Posted : 09 October 2012 15:23:43

Groups:

Welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy the build Cool
Sillvestra
#3 Posted : 09 October 2012 16:42:13

Hi Captain Crash, welcome to the build BigGrin

A comprehensive list of tools can be found early in MWG's Sovereign build and covers the majority of things you'll need to build.
Mr T has also said in another post that issue 8 also contains a tools listing.

For the basic tools you'll need early in the build, just check the build section of each issue for the list of tools needed for that part of the build...
Andy

Current Builds:
- HMS Sovereign of the Seas

Planning on Building:
- Scratch built HMS Victory full detail interior (I know what's inside even if you can't see it BigGrin)

Completed Builds:
-
MWG
#4 Posted : 09 October 2012 17:45:23

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi CPT a big warm welcome to the Model Space forumBigGrin enjoy your build

Best wishes

Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

cptcrash
#5 Posted : 09 October 2012 17:59:12

Hey all thanks for the arm welcome :) will check out mwgs post shortly :)
Ger C
#6 Posted : 09 October 2012 23:55:28

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Welcome aboard
marls
#7 Posted : 10 October 2012 00:16:19

Hi all im new to this build. Are the first 2 ribs higher than the rest thnksBigGrin
court orchard
#8 Posted : 10 October 2012 00:25:11

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Marls,
Yes they are, have a look at some of the members builds or the official build.
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
cptcrash
#9 Posted : 15 October 2012 15:12:59

Stage 1

Right stage one is complete (the bow has all the thingies on it and I've started to put the keel together...not got the keel jig though yet so probably corked that up...however no biggie as I have spares of the issues I've got so far.

Anyway Here are some of the pictures for your perusal...comments and tips are very welcome just remember I've never done this before and have little idea what i'm doing :D

cptcrash
#10 Posted : 18 October 2012 15:51:46

still waiting for my next 4 issues to carry on building with...in the mean time I've stocked up on balsa wood and a nice shelf that will become my keel jig when the parts arrive...
I'm probably gonna abandon the keel section i've already build in favor of saving it for all the parts when they arrive...in the mean time i have a tile press so i could start building the ribs :)

Cheers all
cptcrash
#11 Posted : 18 October 2012 18:23:58

right after a quick chat with CustService I'm slightly peeved...turns out my payment details got screwed somewhere along the lines. To cut a long story short i've gotta wait another 14 days for them to take the payment, and then anotehr 21 for issues 4 and 5...and then 6 7 8 9 will come as one...at some point
meh cant complain too much i guess...i'll probably be rather quiet for the next month or so untill i've got all the parts to start making some headway.
in the mean time guys have fun building and i'll keep checking up on the progress :)
cptcrash
#12 Posted : 22 December 2012 23:32:28

Right i'm back sort of.
I've got my jig built.
I've got issues 1-13.
I'm working on getting some spare time...
I have a nice work bench now :D

However I sat down to start putting bits together this evening to find that the false keep sections (not the ones pictured above my spare issues) have warped quite badly...
not really being sure what to do...I soaked them in some water, and put them between a pair of tiles and added some weights ontop i'm hopping that this should flatten them out.
in the mean time...i'll carry on reading your posts and twiddling my thumbs :)
Gandale
#13 Posted : 22 December 2012 23:56:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi CPT, sorry to hear about your warped keel parts... I have had my fair share of dealing with warped parts.... Make sure the parts are fully dried before being tempted to take them out of your tile press..... likely to take a few days depending on how much you had soaked them for..... Be prepared to order some more back issues if needed as I had a badly warped bow spirit and no matter what I did it always went back to it's warped condition, only way to reslove was to replace... Good luck....

Regards

Alan
cptcrash
#14 Posted : 23 December 2012 00:13:25

to be fair i'm not sure what i'm doing. only soaked them for a few mins...open to tips on how long they should be soaked for? currently gonna leave them until after xmas probably.
Gandale
#15 Posted : 23 December 2012 01:02:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

cptcrash wrote:
to be fair i'm not sure what i'm doing. only soaked them for a few mins...open to tips on how long they should be soaked for? currently gonna leave them until after xmas probably.

Hi Cpt, we all learn by the experiences we have, I soak my parts for around 10-20 minutes in warm water... most of the time it works but have learned that sometimes we just get bad parts and nothing you do will rectify the problem... Of course, you can always try fabricating new parts yourself but at our stage I wouldn't recommend that route.....

Regards

Alan