Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages 123>»
PB's Build Options
pabaz
#1 Posted : 09 October 2012 18:39:28

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

After seeing the TV advert I went on the website to have a better look, what an amazing ship, so much detail.
I went straight out to get issue 1, decided I wanted to build it & subscribed straight away.

Photo 1 - Only issue I had, was that I needed somewhere large to build it on, so built a bigger desk.

Photo 2 & 3 - The next thing I needed would be a board for the jig & a larger board if I needed to work somewhere else, other than the desk.
The problem was that if I put the boards on the dinning table, I could scratch it with the bottom of the boards & I wouldn't be in good books for that.....
To get round this I covered the bottom of the boards with snooker table felt, nice & thick, lots of protection.

Now that I had the work area I needed some tools & would be ready to get started.

I was very eager to start but held myself back until I had everything I needed & knew what I was doing.
pabaz attached the following image(s):
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Paul

HMS Sovereign Of The Seas
karl1113
#2 Posted : 09 October 2012 20:56:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

love the logic,now where are you going to find an understanding wife????
let me know I've got a very good second hand one er' offers????
great start and good luck.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
MWG
#3 Posted : 09 October 2012 21:02:22

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi PB a big warm welcome to the model space forumBigGrin enjoy your build.

Regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

mark 2
#4 Posted : 09 October 2012 22:12:46

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi pabaz and welcome to the forum.
You have made a grand start there.
If you need any help just ask as most members will be only to happy to help.
Best regards.
Mark
Ger C
#5 Posted : 09 October 2012 23:48:56

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Welcome aboard, good idea to use the felt
pabaz
#6 Posted : 11 October 2012 18:07:22

Thanks for the warm welcome, I've been looking through some of the builds of people on here, some really inspiring work.
Picking up some really good idea's & good ways of working.BigGrin
Paul

pabaz
#7 Posted : 11 October 2012 19:50:03

Have started the build but only just getting round to updating build diary.
Not started any of the painted parts yet, such as cannons & anchor, need to practice the painting side of things.
Hoping that with my glasses & magnifier I will be able to see them LOL

Probably end up putting too many pictures on here but my way of keeping track of what I am doing, lets me review things as I go along.

Issue 1

Photo 1 - Issue 1 parts

Photo 2 - Found the plastic bags the first issues came in to be very good when glueing parts together.

Photo 3 - Used a set square to ensure all the parts were straight & true.

Doesn't look much but this is the start of my build, really pleased to have got under way BigGrin
Issue 1 - 01.jpg
Issue 1 - 02.jpg
Issue 1 - 03.jpg
Paul

Gandale
#8 Posted : 11 October 2012 20:01:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Welcome Pabaz, look forward to seeing your build as it comes together....
MWG
#9 Posted : 11 October 2012 20:15:03

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi PB the first step is always the hardestBigGrin Good stuff, Regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

pabaz
#10 Posted : 14 October 2012 09:42:21

Issue 2

Time to get going with issue 2, looking pretty straight forward but lets see LOL

Photo 1 - Issue 2 parts

Photo 2 - 4 - Attached the forward bulkhead to the bow false keel, (after reading MWG's build diary about using balsa within forward bulkhead, realised now that I would have been better off not doing this yet)
Too eager to get parts together to see the ship taking shape BigGrin

Photo 5 & 6 - Glued the ribs to the rib frame, held together with clamps which held it flat, (again after reading another build diary, realised there is a better way of keeping them flat) but my way seams to have worked.

Photo 7 & 8 - I've used a set square to ensure the rib frame is square to the bow false keel, orders a second set square, so using 2 should ensure it is totally square, did measure the gap on each side to make sure they were the same, a second method of checking it was square.

Thats issue 2 complete, apart from the cannon which I will be doing at a later date.

Thanks to everyone for their comments & support, been really helpful.
Been getting some very good ideas from other builds.
Issue 2 - 01.jpg
Issue 2 - 02.jpg
Issue 2 - 03.jpg
Issue 2 - 04.jpg
Issue 2 - 05.jpg
Issue 2 - 06.jpg
Issue 2 - 07.jpg
Issue 2 - 08.jpg
Paul

Gandale
#11 Posted : 14 October 2012 09:57:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Nice start Pabaz, keep the pictures coming as we all love to see how others builds are coming along... We are all impatient to get started and see the model take shape but the first thing I did learn was to be very patient with this hobby.... Good luck in your build...
pabaz
#12 Posted : 15 October 2012 19:22:42

Issue 3

Yet another build section under way, great to see everything taking shape.
Again I haven't started the small painted parts yet, looking at them, think I need a new set of eyes Confused

Photo 1 - Issue 3 parts

Photo 2 - Another rib frame glued, held together with clamps, as done before.
With the next one's, will look at putting them in some sort of press to make sure thy are completely flat.

Photo 3 - Here you can see the three rib frame's so far, in place on the false keel.
With the two bow formers added to the forward bulk head.

Photo 4 - Here I have glued together the second part of the false keel to the first, held together with the bracing pieces, held with clamps.
With the next part of the false keel I will assemble them together while on the assembly jig, I have realised that the two parts of the false keel are not totally straight, hopefully once the assembly jig is complete I can correct this as more pieces are added.

Photo 5 - Here you can see the temporary support holding up the assembly so far.

As usual I will continue to update with more photos as I complete more stages.
I am starting to look at the small painted parts, as I said earlier, could do with a better set of eye's, but with my glasses & large magnifier I should get there LOL
Issue 3 - 01.jpg
Issue 3 - 02.jpg
Issue 3 - 03.jpg
Issue 3 - 04.jpg
Issue 3 - 05.jpg
Paul

pabaz
#13 Posted : 16 October 2012 13:33:38

Balsa wood ordered, I'm going to follow MWG's idea and use Balsa packing (thanks Mike for the advice).
Anything that makes planking easier is good in my book.

Only wish I knew about this before I glued the bulkhead to the false keel, would have been so much easier.
Paul

pabaz
#14 Posted : 16 October 2012 13:44:10

While looking on internet for ideas came across some materials that I thought would be great once work on the detail starts, found gold, silver & copper leaf.

These will give off really good details & relate to how lavish the ship was.

Yet another process to learn, list is getting very long BigGrin
Gold Leaf.jpg
Silver Leaf.jpg
Copper Leaf.jpg
Paul

yamaska
#15 Posted : 16 October 2012 14:59:10

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Pabaz I have used these leafing products on a number of projects. They work very well however, the larger the surface to be covered the better they work. I suspect that with the comparatively small decorative items on this ship you will find that the gold leafing does not cover consistently. You inevitably get small gaps in the leafing which are impossible to fill in. Give it a try on something small, you may have more luck, or skill, than me.

John
pabaz
#16 Posted : 20 October 2012 19:55:08

Been putting the assembly jig together (will update photos later) come across a big problem, the false keel is not straight........Cursing

Should have looked at other builds before getting started but was eager to get going BigGrin
Always that issue that if I had done this.... then this wouldn't have happened, but it has.

As I want this build to be perfect I have ordered issue's 1 to 4 again.

This wont just enable me to build a new false keel which is straight but also make fitting balsa wood to the forward bulkhead so much easier. Plus I get to practice on some spare cannons, looking at the size & detail of them, Im going to need it.

We all learn from our mistakes BigGrin
Bent keel.jpg
Paul

MWG
#17 Posted : 20 October 2012 21:08:39

Hi PB, well done for recognizing the importance of this stage of the build, it is so easy to get excited and make mistakes I did it when I first started, but you will win in the end.

Have a look over everyones build diary one more time, just to go over the main points.

I will be posting the start of Stage 3 tomorrow (BALSA INFILLS)I am pleased you are doing this it is so much easier to plank and get the shape right, Happy buildingBigGrin Regards Mike

pabaz
#18 Posted : 22 October 2012 08:45:27

Thanks Mike, your build diary is excellent, I have learnt so much from it, been really helpful.
Thanks Paul
Paul

pabaz
#19 Posted : 28 October 2012 09:00:47

Still waiting for my back issues to arrive, so can't do anything until they get here Sad
Ordered issues 1 to 4, don't know why I ordered issue 4 again because I haven't used the first copy yet Confused
I have issue 5, next delivery will have the next 4 issues, so will end up with 9 issues to get working on, keep me busy BigGrin

While Im waiting Ive been reading through lots of build diaries & getting plenty of ideas.

As Im at a loose end been going through all of my tools & setup, took photos to share with you all, helps keep me going while Im waiting.

Thats just a quick look at all my tools & materials I have stored away in the corner of my office.
Will put some more detailed pictures up later BigGrin

4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
Paul

mark 2
#20 Posted : 28 October 2012 09:44:19

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Pabaz.
You have a very good selection of tools BigGrinCool .
Very neat unlike mine BlushingLOL .
Best regards.
Mark