Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages <1234>»
PB's Build Options
MWG
#21 Posted : 28 October 2012 10:40:59

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi Paul,

Good selectionBigGrin every thing in its place, Good stuffThumpUp Regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

pabaz
#22 Posted : 28 October 2012 11:14:53

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

More detailed photos of my tools & a few more pieces, I have all the tools & nothing to do with them.
I want my parts so I can get going BigGrin will have loads to do when they get here, cant wait, like being a kid in a sweat shop LOL

These are the basic tools.

Photo 1 - I have a selection of different scalpels & blades, the calliper is a must have piece of kit, great for making sure everything is equal.

Photo 2 - A selection of the clamps I have, have a lot more of each of these, amazing how many you can use at one time.

Photo 3 - Some of the different glues, fillers & sanding materials.

Photo 4 - The multi tool is a great piece of kit, can use for so many jobs, I've added a flexi shaft, will make it easier to use, rather than holding the much bigger tool.

Photo 5 - After reading AK's build where he uses 'Green Stuff' to add extra detail, I felt these modelling tools would be a very good idea.

Photo 6 - Without this magnifying light I would be stuffed, eye sight isn't the best LOL parts are small enough without the bad eye sight, this will be invaluable to me.

Photo 7 - The paints I have so far, some of these are for the cannons, again got the details from AK's build diary, his cannons are fantastic, the colour & detail is really inspiring.

Photo 8 - I know you can paint the parts by hand but I have always wanted to be able to use an airbrush, not just for building this model. This is the reason I haven't started on the cannons, Im learning & practising with the airbrush.

Photo 9 - The only problem with using an airbrush is the spray, if your spraying outside, not a problem but with the temperature this time of year, I don't want to be out in the cold, plus the paint wouldn't dry very well.
There is a large extractor which pulls the spray into the large filter, stopping any spray ending up on other things within the room.

Photo 10 - Even folds away neatly for storage BigGrin

Photo 11 - My tile press, got the idea off MWG's build diary, 5 large tiles at £1 each, so simple but really useful.

I know I have probably over done the tools thing but I am really enjoying the build & want to make it as perfect as I can, these tools will help me to achieve that, I know there will be more tools I need as we go along, but it will be money well spent, the end result will be worth it.
pabaz attached the following image(s):
20.jpg
16.jpg
19.jpg
17.jpg
21.jpg
24.jpg
22.jpg
23.jpg
25.jpg
26.jpg
27.jpg
Paul

HMS Sovereign Of The Seas
karl1113
#23 Posted : 28 October 2012 11:29:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

now that's what I call a comprehensive tool kit.just hope you have the drive and ambition to use them,but you must enjoy your hobby and are going to have a steep learning curve,why not get a smaller boat to learn on? and to fill in the time waiting for the big boy to arrive.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
budgie
#24 Posted : 28 October 2012 12:53:30

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

BigGrin Hi PB with your squinty bit why don't you soak your build so far in warm water this will enable you to remove your frames from the keel cleanly
While still wet place between flat surface ie tile or glass and weight it down so it dries flat
As you have reordered issues you have nothing to lose
pabaz
#25 Posted : 03 November 2012 18:23:06

Ordered back issue's 2 weeks ago & still haven't received them, plus because I subscribe I have to wait for delivery every month, seams like I've been waiting for ever, want to get going.....Cursing
Paul

pabaz
#26 Posted : 10 November 2012 10:35:32

Back order's & delivery arrived today, now have issue's 1 through to 9 BigGrin

Issue 5 has been sitting in the draw while wait for the other issue's.

Will keep me busy for a while LOL
Mag 1.jpg
Mag 2.jpg
Paul

pabaz
#27 Posted : 10 November 2012 10:46:45

While I was waiting for these issue's to arrive I did try to steam the ribs off the keel.

Managed to get the ribs off with no problem, only problem was that they weren't totally flat, I did read that you can soak them in water, then put them in tile press.

Steaming didn't get the bow parts apart, think they needed soaking.

Is it OK to soak them or do you just get them slightly wet ?
Steam 1.jpg
Steam 2.jpg
Paul

Sillvestra
#28 Posted : 10 November 2012 12:02:19

I would recommend soaking in warm water to release the glued sections and making parts slightly damp in preparation to placing them in a form of press to remove any warps.
Andy

Current Builds:
- HMS Sovereign of the Seas

Planning on Building:
- Scratch built HMS Victory full detail interior (I know what's inside even if you can't see it BigGrin)

Completed Builds:
-
pabaz
#29 Posted : 11 November 2012 17:53:12

Now I have all the issue's, I can get started again, as I had problems with my first attempts with the early issue's I have built a new bulkhead.

This is now ready for balsa wood, will update pictures once this is complete
Issue 4 - 01.jpg
Paul

pabaz
#30 Posted : 11 November 2012 18:07:00

Photo 1 & 2 - Assembly jig, now that I had all the pieces of the keel I could work out where all the brackets needed to go, to ensure all the brackets were in a straight line, I used a spirit level.

Photo 3 - As you can see, when the keel is laid out next to the brackets, none of the brackets get in the way of where the ribs will fit, least I got them in the right place, no taking brackets off, then putting them back on in the correct place LOL

Photo 4 - Now with all the brackets in place, I have fitted the keel loosely to the jig, not glued yet.
Nice to see the whole keel together.

As usual will update as things take shape.

Would like to thank everyone for their build diaries, I have learnt so much, I hadn't realised what a motivation they would be, the quality of models already built & under way is amazing.
Jig - 01.jpg
Jig - 02.jpg
Jig - 03.jpg
Jig - 04.jpg
Paul

MWG
#31 Posted : 11 November 2012 19:20:07

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Paul, good techniqueBigGrin Nice Job, Regards MikeCool
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

pabaz
#32 Posted : 12 November 2012 09:05:47

Thanks Mike, your build diary has been a great help BigGrin
Paul

pabaz
#33 Posted : 12 November 2012 12:01:27

Now the jig is all set up, I can start joining the keel together BigGrin
Used a couple of the ribs put in (not glued) to ensure I dont overlap any of the slots.

Doesn't she look good, all the keel joined together. Gives an idea of the length of the ship.
Really pleased to be at this stage BigGrin BigGrin
Issue 5 - 01.jpg
Issue 7 - 01.jpg
Issue 7 - 02.jpg
Paul

MWG
#34 Posted : 12 November 2012 13:42:53

Hi Paul, Watching your very tidy buildBigGrin Good stuffCool Regards Mike

pabaz
#35 Posted : 16 November 2012 10:49:50

Photo 1 - 4 - Now we are getting somewhere, ribs all cut out , filed off any excess from where I have cut them from the frames & loosely put together to ensure they fit correctly.

Photo 5 & 6 - Final stage is adding the glue, placed cling film on the tile to stop anything sticking, put cling film between all the layers of ribs.
Once all complete added another tile to the top & weighted down to keep them flat BigGrin
Issue 6 - 01.jpg
Issue 6 - 02.jpg
Issue 6 - 03.jpg
Issue 6 - 04.jpg
Issue 6 - 05.jpg
Issue 6 - 06.jpg
Paul

pabaz
#36 Posted : 16 November 2012 11:20:17

I'm learning all the time as my build progresses, having glued all my ribs, was time to add them to the keel.
Thought I would check them all before I started only to find out they weren't all flat Cursing
as I had put the in my tile press after glueing them I wondered why they weren't all flat ?
After checking the tiles realised they didn't have a totally flat surface Mad

I had already been reading about this issue other builders had, so went ahead with adding water to the affected area to soften it up, before putting them back in the tile press, this time with glass between the ribs & the tiles, totally flat BigGrin

Didn't have anything heavy to put on top of my tile press so I have been using a watering can full of water, fairly heavy & does the job. LOL

Rib 01.jpg
Rib 02.jpg
Rib 03.jpg
Rib 04.jpg
Paul

pabaz
#37 Posted : 03 December 2012 10:22:56

Been a while since I have updated my diary, so he is more about my build.
Started putting the ribs into the keel.

Photo 1 & 2 - Completed keel

Photo 3 - To start with I had to make sure my levels were level BigGrin

Photo 4 - 6 - There was more work involved in making sure everything was level than I expected, making sure jig was level, keel upright & level.

Photo 7 & 8 - While dry fitting the ribs I found out that they were tight fit, this was due to the joins in the keel, where the 2 pieces were glued either side of the keel joints.
I trimmed them down with a scalpel, this made it possible to adjust the ribs to ensure they were level & upright.

Photo 9 - All the time while fitting the ribs I was checking all the level, took ages to fit each rib BigGrin

Photo 10 - Even though I will be using balsa to infill the hull I still used blocks to hold the rib in place.

Photo 11 - 15 - One rib in place, plenty more to go LOL
Again more measuring & checking levels.

Photo 16 - Another way I used to check the distance between the ribs were all equal was to use the balsa infills, as well as measuring again.

Photo 17 & 18 - More checks to make sure everything was level, all the ribs the same height, apart from the last few at the back which rise gently.

Photo 19 - Well pleased, all the ribs in place, looking good Love
Issue 7 - 01.jpg
Issue 7 - 02.jpg
Issue 7 - 03.jpg
Issue 7 - 04.jpg
Issue 7 - 05.jpg
Issue 7 - 06.jpg
Issue 7 - 07.jpg
Issue 7 - 08.jpg
Issue 7 - 09.jpg
Issue 7 - 10.jpg
Issue 7 - 11.jpg
Issue 7 - 12.jpg
Issue 7 - 13.jpg
Issue 7 - 14.jpg
Issue 7 - 15.jpg
Issue 7 - 16.jpg
Issue 7 - 17.jpg
Issue 7 - 18.jpg
Issue 7 - 19.jpg
Paul

pabaz
#38 Posted : 03 December 2012 10:38:05

I know the work on the cannons is going to be hard work & will take some practice to get right, with that in mind I ordered 10 copies of issue 1, this will give me plenty to develop my skills on.

I have also brought a selection of wood stain, with so many cannons to build I can try he different stains to see which colour looks the best.

Hope to have some photos of my cannons soon, at the present time I am working on the balsa infills for the bulkhead & the hull.

I will be working behind the issue's as I have learned so much from the build diary's on here, excellent work from everyone, invaluable to all us newbies BigGrin
Wood Stain.jpg
Paul

RobT
#39 Posted : 03 December 2012 10:53:02

Great build diary. Really nice attention to detail. As for the woodstain, have a look at Teak as well. I think it gives a real old fashioned look.
pabaz
#40 Posted : 03 December 2012 14:32:27

Cheers, will have a look at that, going to try all the different stains on some of the left over wood, then I can compare them to see which looks best.Unsure
Paul