Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages <12345>
PB's Build Options
Gandale
#41 Posted : 03 December 2012 21:18:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Paul, very nice detailed work.... good tips there for all to see.

Regards

Alan
der Gohfelder
#42 Posted : 03 December 2012 21:25:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi!
Perfect, a fantastic diary with a lot of good tips for others!

Thanks and go on this wayThumpUp

Regards, Bernd
pabaz
#43 Posted : 04 December 2012 20:17:33

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Thanks for your kind remarks BigGrin

Nice to know what others are thinking, always appreciate comments & ideas from other builders.

I have learnt so much from the build diary's, my build will be so much better than if just following the magazine build instructions.

I am taking my time & learning from what other more advanced builders are doing.

Paul

HMS Sovereign Of The Seas
pabaz
#44 Posted : 05 December 2012 19:18:22

I have been reading lots of build diary's & other topics on this build.
This is my first build but being a bit of a perfectionist I want it to be the best I can make it, I know I need to learn lots & like everything you get better the more you do, hence why I am practicing & trying ideas & techniques I'm learning from all of you before using them on the SOTS Smile

One topic that has really caught my eye is regarding the subject of lighting, I have seen where some ship builds have the cabins lit & I have seen a post where someone has been trying fiber optic strands with LED's.
The issue I see with LED's is that they are built into the ship & can fail over time, when you will not be able to do anything about it Mad

I have been doing some playing with electronics, I have started working with a microprocessor called an Arduino, basically a very small simple computer.
My idea is to have a separate fiber strand to each port hole, lights on deck, cabin, etc. Then run all these fiber strands down through the base of the ship, hidden inside the stand to a unit under the base, where each fiber strand can be attached to an LED, I can control the brightness of each LED, also being able to make each LED flicker separately from all the others.

This is only an idea at the minute, I will need to do some tests & develop the idea BigGrin

Will update you all once I get further with this idea
Paul

court orchard
#45 Posted : 05 December 2012 19:49:29

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Paul,
You could even drill and feed red fibre optics into the dummy cannon barrels on the lower decks and fire a broadside.
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
pabaz
#46 Posted : 09 December 2012 15:39:09

Thought it was about time I got some more work done, been working on putting the balsa in the bulkhead.

Photo 1 - 5- Fairly straight forward, work out the thickness of the balsa required & glue together before glueing into the bulkhead.
Started off by using clamps to hold the balsa together while it glued but then realised I would be better off using my tile press.

Photo 6 - Some cutting out required to enable the balsa to fit.

Photo 7 - Not the neatest looking but will be by the time I'm finished BigGrin

Photo 8 - Cut off the excess before sanding into shape.

Photo 9 - Time to use a little filler to fill any of those not so smooth lines Laugh

Photo 10 - Second layer of filler before a final sanding to finish it off.
Now that looks better ThumpUp
pabaz attached the following image(s):
Bulkhead Balsa - 01.jpg
Bulkhead Balsa - 02.jpg
Bulkhead Balsa - 03.jpg
Bulkhead Balsa - 04.jpg
Bulkhead Balsa - 05.jpg
Bulkhead Balsa - 06.jpg
Bulkhead Balsa - 07.jpg
Bulkhead Balsa - 08.jpg
Bulkhead Balsa - 09.jpg
Bulkhead Balsa - 10.jpg
Paul

Gandale
#47 Posted : 09 December 2012 22:27:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Nice work there Paul....

Regards

Alan
pabaz
#48 Posted : 28 December 2012 08:15:56

Photo - 1 Even though I checked & double checked the levels of all the ribs as I glued them in place, did one final check, something I saw another builder had done, good idea & all ribs level BigGrin

Photo 2 - Time to finish of the last rib 27. As always checking everything is square.

Photo 3 - Excuse the colour, camera must have been having an off day LOL
Issue 09 - 01.jpg
Issue 09 - 02.jpg
Issue 09 - 03.jpg
Paul

pabaz
#49 Posted : 28 December 2012 08:35:40

i didn't want to do all the balsa infill of the hull until I had the deck levels in place, wanted to check the decks fitted square & level, didn't fancy having to take out the balsa if everything wash't correct, I had checked & double checked everything but wanted to be totally sure Cool

Photo 1 - I followed the great tutorial by MWG, was a real help (as is his build diary), filled in the front two sections.

Photo 2 - 4 - Next was the other sections, using one piece of balsa to go the full width of the hull, measuring everything to make sure it was the same width all the way across, glued in place just below the deck level.
Same process used to work the length of the hull until all sections filled in.

Photo 5 - What some of you will have noticed from this photos is that the front part of the keel isn't straight Cursing
As balsa was glued in place & rather than try to soak/steam apart such large pieces, back issues ordered & started the front keel again.

Photo 6 - This time I did the front two sections the same way as the rest, one piece of balsa across the whole width of the hull. Everything measured up correctly. BigGrin
Keel Balsa - 01.jpg
Keel Balsa - 02.jpg
Keel Balsa - 03.jpg
Keel Balsa - 04.jpg
Keel Balsa - 05.jpg
Keel Balsa - 06.jpg
Paul

pabaz
#50 Posted : 28 December 2012 08:53:20

Got my deck pieces, I had held off fitting all the balsa to the hull sections until I had these in place, wanted to make sure they were a good fit, everything square & level, last thing I wanted was to be trying to take out balsa, square everything up Crying

Photo 1 - Started off by dry fitting the deck, had to do some light sanding where the decks fit around the ribs, only on a few, so looks like my measuring over & over paid off BigGrin

Photo 2 & 3 - Followed the instructions about drawing lines so I would know where the ribs are when pinning decks in place.

Photo 4 - Haven't got myself a pin pusher yet (need to get it ordered), so hammered the pins slightly into the decks to make it easier once decks in place.

Photo 5 - 7 - Another idea from MWG, adding some well know glue to the balsa & normal wood glue to the ribs, all adds up to a very sturdy hull.

Photo 8 - All the deck pieces in place BigGrin

For those of you wondering why I have an extra hole in the deck Confused
I am looking to put lights in the dummy gun port holes, will cover this off separately in a later post.

The hull has now become very sturdy, all I need to do now in infill the rest of the hull with balsa BigGrin
Issue 11 -01.jpg
Issue 11 -02.jpg
Issue 11 -03.jpg
Issue 11 -04.jpg
Issue 11 -05.jpg
Issue 11 -06.jpg
Issue 11 -07.jpg
Issue 11 -08.jpg
Paul

pabaz
#51 Posted : 28 December 2012 09:08:00

Lighting, something that I am interested in doing, is adding lighting to the ship, feel it will enhance an already amazing build.

I have already been in the early stages of some work on electronics, designing & want to build a reef aquarium, the first stage of this being the electronics to control everything.

Back to the SOTS, did some testing on LED's & fibre optics, I wanted to light the ship by using LED's away from the model & using fibre optic strands to light the model.

Photo 1 - The circuit board at the top is an Arduino, basically a very small computer that can be programmed to contol all the lighting.

After trying this out, realised that this wouldn't give off enough light, so would need to fit the LED's within the ship. Due to the small space available normal LED bulbs would be too big, so needed to look at SMD LED, very small, could be fitted out of sight.

Photo 2 - As you can see, they are very small Crying

Im in the process of building the circuit boards that these will be soldered to, will update you once I have some working.

Thanks for looking in, any comments or idea's would be appreciated BigGrin
Lighting - 01.jpg
Lighting - 02.jpg
Paul

pabaz
#52 Posted : 28 December 2012 09:22:12

Done some work on using balsa to infill the hull.
Not the neatest at the minute but will be looking good once it is all finished & sanded to shape BigGrin

Photo 1 & 2 - At the front & back of the keel, I have filled these in completely due to the smaller size & shape.

Phot0 3 & 4 - Now have the side's in place, need to cut these down & fit the bottom piece's.

Can then have the fun job of sanding it all into shape Crying

Feels so much stronger & sturdy now the balsa is glued into place BigGrin
Keel Balsa - 07.jpg
Keel Balsa - 08.jpg
Keel Balsa - 09.jpg
Keel Balsa - 11.jpg
Paul

Gandale
#53 Posted : 28 December 2012 22:15:48

Now you are getting somewhere, looking really good Paul.... Love the idea of lighting the ship and will be following with interest. My knowledge of electronics is zero so can't see me attempting anything like that.... Good luck with it, looking forward to seeing how she comes together...

Regards

Alan
cptcrash
#54 Posted : 31 December 2012 16:44:53

Hi PB How are you plnning on mounting the electronics? inside the ship or externally and have the wires going in? also what about trying the other types of arduino? There's one for clothing that you solder wires direct to the board instead of having the jacks?
...also on a geeky note if you stick with the arduino you could add some cool effects to the LED's making them flicker for example?
great idea though will follow the lighting with great interest
thanks and happy holidays
pabaz
#55 Posted : 01 January 2013 08:06:45

Cheers Alan, it's really good now that she is coming together, getting the shape of the hull, really pleased with it.
I've been following your build & getting tips & idea's, the planking of the deck looks really good BigGrin
I've decided to keep working behind the issue's, so I can see what everyone else is doing, learning from you all before steaming ahead with my own build LOL
Paul

pabaz
#56 Posted : 01 January 2013 08:23:46

Hi cptcrash, the idea is to mount the electronics away from the ship, running the wires through the hull & into the stand, still deciding how to build the stand to hind them, could do with the temporary stand that comes with one of the issue so I can work out dimensions.
Like the idea of the lights flickering, what I plan to do is have a yellow light that could flicker to simulate candle light & a white light that will have a single flash to give the affect of the cannon firing, will also be yellow light where appropriate on the decks.
I have designed a small circuit board for each light, holds the sum led & smd resistor, one for each led, so the there will be two of these in each bun port hole.
I will update once I get further along, testing soldering the small components at the minute & making the circuit boards, will add some photos soonBigGrin
Paul

pabaz
#57 Posted : 01 January 2013 08:54:33

Got myself a few more tools to enable me to continue my build, tools that will make it easier & help me BigGrin

Amazing how much you accumulate as the build goes on, tools & more materials but looking at it, you only buy them once & can use them over & over as more builds take shape, I've got the bug to do more builds once this one is complete LOL
28.jpg
Paul

karl1113
#58 Posted : 01 January 2013 11:05:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

hi pabaz,when using the plank crimper for bending,turn the crimper blade around so that you only use the BLUNT side,otherwise you will end up with a lot of tiny pieces of plank! Blink
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
willie
#59 Posted : 01 January 2013 12:00:01

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service Medal

your pin puser if you buy a small coller to fit the outer sleave you can set it to give a certin depth to push the pins in the blue one you have use to have one of the collers,they are cheap at model shops normal used to keep air craft wheels on there axels ithink we have different tools so heres a photo of mune with the coller
pabaz
#60 Posted : 01 January 2013 19:48:47

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice BigGrin
Paul