Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages «<2345>
PB's Build Options
pabaz
#61 Posted : 04 January 2013 11:21:59

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi to fellow builders, I've playing around with the lighting to see the affects it will have, how it will look, happy to say it looks good, well I like it LOL

Photot 1 - The tools I will be using, been praticing as I haven't done any soldering for a while, even thought they are small, got the hang of it fairly quickly BigGrin

Photo 2 - As I haven't got any port holes for the cannons yet, set it up to give an idea & to see how bright the LED's are

Photo 3 - Didn't just want to be able to see them in the dark so below shows what it will look like in normal light

Photo 4 - Will be using a white LED for the affect of the cannon firing, it is bright but I may go for a brighter one, give off a bright flash, need to get some & see if it looks better

Photo 5 - Just to give you an idea of size, these are the size of the circuit boards i will build to mount the SMD LED & resistor for each light

Ive been looking at how many I will need,

Lower deck 28 yellow & 28 white
Middle deck 34 yellow & 34 white
Upper deck 44 white (I need to get even smaller LED for this as I will need to hide these some how)

Plus lighting for decks, cabin, lantern's, etc

I'm really pleased, any comments or advice always welcome.

Thanks BigGrin
pabaz attached the following image(s):
Lighting - 03.jpg
Lighting - 04.jpg
Lighting - 05.jpg
Lighting - 06.jpg
Lighting - 07.jpg
Paul

HMS Sovereign Of The Seas
pabaz
#62 Posted : 04 January 2013 12:06:34

Photo 1 & 2 - Been finishing off rib 27 with balsa infill, fairly straight forward as it is only a smaller piece

Photo 3 - 6 - Made so much easier by using rotary tool, much better finish than if I had tried to do it by hand BigGrin

The next job is to sand the hull down, will keep me busy for a while but will be so rewarding when it's finished BigGrin BigGrin
Issue 09 - 04.jpg
Issue 09 - 05.jpg
Issue 09 - 06.jpg
Issue 09 - 07.jpg
Issue 09 - 08.jpg
Issue 09 - 09.jpg
Paul

Gandale
#63 Posted : 04 January 2013 13:49:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Coming along very nicely Paul.... enjoying your build diary....

Regards

Alan
pabaz
#64 Posted : 04 January 2013 14:49:33

Another piece finished, I need to keep this build diary up to date, looks like I don't do much, then post several parts at once LOL

I've copied MWG for the stem/bowsprit frame, filling it with balsa wood, I know some of this will need to be cut away once we start planking it & adding other parts.
Now that I've done it, I'm not totally sure if I am happy with it, may buy another copy & do it again without the balsa infill Confused

Will keep you up to date on what I decide BigGrin
Issue 10 - 01.jpg
Issue 10 - 02.jpg
Issue 10 - 03.jpg
Issue 10 - 04.jpg
Issue 10 - 05.jpg
Paul

pabaz
#65 Posted : 07 January 2013 12:25:36

Morning all, been playing with the lighting again, last time I took the photo's without the dummy gun beams painted black, so would have a big difference on the brightness of the LED's.

Photo 1 - This first picture was taken with all the inside painted black, come's across bright, the only thing I thought of was that this picture was taken without the ship having any lighting on it & in a dimly lit room.

Photo 2 - This second picture was taken with only the back wall & bottom of the dummy gun beams painted black & the ship lit from the front. I like the affect of one side being brighter & the light fading off to where the gun barrel will be.
I'm looking to make the light's flicker once it is all complete which help make it look like candle light.

I may install one LED on each side of the cannon barrel, I then have the flexibility to have one on or both BigGrin
Lighting - 08.jpg
Lighting - 09.jpg
Paul

pabaz
#66 Posted : 07 January 2013 12:51:23

Photo 1 & 2 - Dummy gun support beams. The plank bender made the job of curving the beams so much easier, just have to be careful not to put too much pressure on them, or end up with two pieces Cursing

Photo 3 - Fitting the first beam in place, glued & held in place with clamps, adding pins once the glue is set to give some extra security to them staying in place, maybe I should have pinned them before the glue set but worked any way BigGrin

Photo 4 - Pin pusher takes a bit of getting used to, as you can see, a couple of bend pins LOL

Photo 5 - All beams in place & deck support beams glued in place as well.

Photo 6 & 7 - Looking at what other builders had done, gone with adding some extra support to the beams, they seamed a little fragile & too much movement.
The supports made them much sturdier BigGrin

Photo 8 - Looked a what paint other builders had used to paint the dummy gun support beams, in the end I found some tester pots in Wicks, comes out a flat matt finishes, does the job perfect & only cost £1.29, bargain BigGrin

Photo 9 - The only thing that messed it up was using a cheap paintbrush which left some hairs on the finished paint, will sand this down & re-paint with a better quality brush.
Issue 12 - 01.jpg
Issue 12 - 02.jpg
Issue 12 - 03.jpg
Issue 12 - 04.jpg
Issue 12 - 05.jpg
Issue 12 - 06.jpg
Issue 12 - 07.jpg
Issue 12 - 08.jpg
Issue 12 - 09.jpg
Paul

Gandale
#67 Posted : 07 January 2013 22:18:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

She is coming along a treat Paul... BigGrin

Regards

Alan
Admiral Anti Spiral
#68 Posted : 09 January 2013 19:39:12

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looking good paul! i like the look of that paint!
Processing - Progressing

Previous builds: HMS Victory
Current build: HMS Sovereign of the seas
pabaz
#69 Posted : 15 February 2013 09:43:00

Unfortunately haven't done much since my last entry, been in the process of moving house, so everything is boxed away while it is all sorted.
Have plenty of issue's to go at once it is all sorted BigGrin
Keeping myself going by reading all your build diaries, all coming along nicely, keep up the good work BigGrin
Paul

MWG
#70 Posted : 15 February 2013 10:29:37

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

pabaz wrote:
Unfortunately haven't done much since my last entry, been in the process of moving house, so everything is boxed away while it is all sorted.
Have plenty of issue's to go at once it is all sorted BigGrin
Keeping myself going by reading all your build diaries, all coming along nicely, keep up the good work BigGrin

Hi Paul, moving house is very stress indusiveBlink I hope it all went well for you
Best wishes Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Gandale
#71 Posted : 15 February 2013 20:45:59

Hi Pabaz, sure hope your new place has plently of display space for your builds..... Back to building for you soon I hope...BigGrin

Regards

Alan
pabaz
#72 Posted : 23 February 2013 08:34:27

Thanks guys, will probably be another month before I am back up & building Crying
Having to build a shed in my new place, will be insulated & heated, as not enough space inside house.
I will be taking my build inside when I have finished for the day, don't want the cold & moisture getting to it.
Can't wait to get going again BigGrin
Paul

arpurchase
#73 Posted : 23 February 2013 10:07:30

Dummy gun support beams. The plank bender made the job of curving the beams so much easier, just have to be careful not to put too much pressure on them, or end up with two pieces Cursing

BigGrin Hi Pabaz
coming along nicely there, just a little tip on the plank bender, in your pic it seems you are using the cutting edge side[ hence you say having to be carefull you don't cut through the planks] if the blade is reversed to the square edge then you wont cut through the planks. Hope this helps
regards
AndyCool
PS attached a couple of pics that should help
arpurchase attached the following image(s):
P2230752.JPG
P2230753.JPG
P2230754.JPG
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

pabaz
#74 Posted : 15 September 2013 14:58:43

Due to some personal issue's, having to move house & not having any space to work, it's been a long time since I have done any work on my ship.
Finally settled for now, so hoping to start some work, I have plenty of issue's to catch up with.
Looking forward to getting going again BigGrin
Paul

arpurchase
#75 Posted : 15 September 2013 15:06:39

BigGrin Hi Pabaz
Welcome back hope your sorted and settled now and will be looking forward to tour next update
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#76 Posted : 15 September 2013 22:25:07

Hi Paul, nice to hear you will be starting up again, look forward to seeing you progress....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
claret
#77 Posted : 17 September 2013 08:47:13

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Paul,

Hope the move went okay.

Your build is looking great, and the lighting looks very interesting.

I do the purchasing for a electronics manufacturer and buy 10 million plus SMT LED's per annum. I really must have a go at lighting a model sometimeBigGrin

Regards
claret

Also working on:
SOTS.
Moebius 1/32 Flying Sub with PE & lights.

Waiting in the wings:
Polarlights Spindrift from Land of the Giants.

finished:
007 Iconic DB5.
pabaz
#78 Posted : 16 February 2014 13:31:01

I did say back in September that I was starting my build again but due to circumstances I never did.
It has been a year since I've done any work on my build, as you can imagine I have a lot of issue's to catch up on.
Due to breaking my foot last week it has given me the time to get started again, so there was a bright side to my injury LOL
I spent this morning updating my build diary as I deleted my Flickr account without thinking & all my picture's were gone from here Angry
I still want to do the lighting on my build so that will slow me down but there is still plenty I can do at the same time.
I will keep my diary up to date & will enjoy reading all yours to get me back up to date & get idea's for my own build.
It's good to be back BigGrin
Paul

arpurchase
#79 Posted : 16 February 2014 13:39:05

BigGrin Hi Paul
Welcome back and hope the foot isn't giving you too much grief.
Looking forward to your updates
regards
AndyCool

pabaz
#80 Posted : 15 March 2014 19:24:09

Finally done some work on the ship over the last few day's.
Been good but taking a bit to get back into it, been reading plenty of build diary's for infoBigGrin
Paul