Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Jargon Buster and a few other questions Options
dedworthdog
#1 Posted : 07 May 2010 09:09:32

Groups: Registered

I wonder if any of you boat gurus out there would be willing to provide a "Jargon Buster"?
Cos being a pongoe, You matelots will Know what I mean, I some times find all these nautical terms a bit baffling things like
The long wooden bits that point in the air,
the short wooden bit that the bits of rag hang from, Talking of the rags can't the laundary find somewhere else to dry the bedding,
those great big fishing hooks, I thought we were building a fighting ship not a fishing ship.
That long wooden bit that sticks out the front, and all that rope can't it be coiled up and put in a cupboard rather than hanging from the long wooden bits, jolly dangerous you know.
also whilst I think about it I can't see the duty free shop anywhere on the model and admin what issue does the engine come with, can't see how it can move with out one and if it's a battle ship where are the anti aircraft guns and torpedoes and how do the marines get onto the landing craft? Where are the landing craft?

PLease treat this with the contempt it deserves just trying to lighten the mood
Follow my build to learn how to make firewood

rogthedodge
#2 Posted : 07 May 2010 09:21:43

Quality.. Have they got proper names for all these things then ?? I served 12 years in the Army and the only time I was at sea was on the ferry going to and from N.I.
magpie67
#3 Posted : 07 May 2010 09:57:22

dedworthdog wrote:
I wonder if any of you boat gurus out there would be willing to provide a "Jargon Buster"?
Cos being a pongoe, You matelots will Know what I mean, I some times find all these nautical terms a bit baffling things like
the short wooden bit that the bits of rag hang from, Talking of the rags can't the laundary find somewhere else to dry the bedding,
those great big fishing hooks, I thought we were building a fighting ship not a fishing ship.
That long wooden bit that sticks out the front, and all that rope can't it be coiled up and put in a cupboard rather than hanging from the long wooden bits, jolly dangerous you know.
also whilst I think about it I can't see the duty free shop anywhere on the model and admin what issue does the engine come with, can't see how it can move with out one and if it's a battle ship where are the anti aircraft guns and torpedoes and how do the marines get onto the landing craft? Where are the landing craft?

PLease treat this with the contempt it deserves just trying to lighten the mood

LOL LOL LOL LOL superb LOL LOL LOL LOL
jonny7england
#4 Posted : 07 May 2010 10:37:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Absolute magic...just the tonic to start today of all days..he he..LOL
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
Mike Turpin
#5 Posted : 07 May 2010 10:59:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month

LOL LOL LOL

Seriously though, there will be quite a few on the forum who would like a reference to those nautical terms that keep arising during the construction.

There is another topic which asked a similar question

Encyclopedia of Terms

I added some suggestions to this which would save us the trouble of creating another list:

It's a good idea but we don't have to re-invent the wheel take a look at wooden ship terms

Just found it with a little googling BigGrin

A dictionary of sea terms can also be found in 'The Young Sea Officers Sheet Anchor' an essential read for all aspiring sea officers from sailing days and us ship modellers nowadays.

You can get in on Amazon Young Sea Officers Sheet Anchor

Cheers

Mike T
snowtiger
#6 Posted : 07 May 2010 11:10:06

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

[quote=dedworthdog]I wonder if any of you boat gurus out there would be willing to provide a "Jargon Buster"?

LOL BigGrin LOL BigGrin LOL .....ClassLOL
mavrickandgoose
#7 Posted : 07 May 2010 14:41:02

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

It seems to me there are quite a few members of mother greens killing machine on here, what that about, why not just join the navy! or are you waiting for the build the battle of waterloo to come out! lol