Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages 123>»
Tamiya's 1/700 Shinano build Options
arpurchase
#1 Posted : 15 October 2012 17:38:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Hi All
coming soon i will be building this aircraft carrier here,as she was a sister ship to the Yamato and Mushashi.
After the Battle of Midway the IJN decided that carriers were the way to go so all work on the Shinano battleship was suspended and it was decided to convert the hull to an aircraft carrier,at 68000 tons she was the largest aircraft carrier built at the time and it wouldnt be untill the 1950's that anything bigger was launched.
Envisioned as a supply/repair carrier not a battle carrier,it was decided that due to bombing of the port where she was being built that movement to a safer port to compleat her fitting out would be prudent,missing several of her water tight doors she was on her relocation voyage when she was hit by 4 torpedos fron the submarine USS Archerfish, she sailed on for another 36 miles before flloding caused a loss of power and the subsequent capsizing.
I have ordered the etch set for this waterline kit and am waiting for both to arive from there various ordering points, more soon
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

arpurchase
#2 Posted : 26 October 2012 12:54:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi All
today i recieved the Shinano kit from Japan,several well moulded sprues with the ussual top quality detail that Tamiya are famous for as well as 32 various aircraft as follows Reppu fighters [the replacment to the Zero fighter],Aichi [Grace] bombers and Kugishi [Judy].These are all in the clear plastic moulded types.
When Tamiya decided to produce this kit they could have just used there new moulds for the Yamato and Mushasi to save cost but instead they produced new moulds because they had an unusual and i think nice twist to the model,basicly the hull splits in two so it can lifted up to inspect the hangar decks below,with older kits when the decks are on this is all hidden so a nice inovation here i think.
I have ordered an enhancment etch kit from eduard to add some finer details and am awaiating its arival, more to follow soon
regards
AndyCool
arpurchase attached the following image(s):
PA260039.JPG
PA260041.JPG
PA260042.JPG
PA260044.JPG
PA260045.JPG
PA260046.JPG
PA260047.JPG
PA260048.JPG
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

arpurchase
#3 Posted : 26 October 2012 13:08:24

BigGrin Hi All
About the colour sceme for the Shinano,towards the end of the war the IJN decided that camoflage was the way to go to overcome the Alies advantages with there submarines in the pacific area[8 aircraft carriers were sunk by submarines in the war].So out went the IJN grey and a two part light and dark green patern was used,this if you look closely resembles the silhouette of a Japanese merchant ship,the carrier decks also had a camoflage paint covering but this was thought to be ommited on the Shinano.Tamiya as ussual provide a very good colour chart to aid in the painting of the ship
regards
AndyCool
PA260049.JPG
PA260050.JPG

SennaMentalMe
#4 Posted : 26 October 2012 16:43:42

Groups:

Hello Andy,

Though I'm not into model shipbuilding I am into plastic kit modelling and this looks like a seriously nice kit as does your other Fujimi 1:700 Akagi kit. I will be watching both builds with interest mate as I already do with your DeAg Yamato and Akagi, both very nice builds in their own right and with great attention to detail. I look forward to seeing what you do with all that imminent Eduard etch in this smaller scale. I love Tamiyas' idea of clear moulding the aircraft, which makes real sense as the aircraft canopies will probably be a whole lot easier to do!!

Great work Andy and a fascinating subject!!

All the best,

Kev BigGrin
arpurchase
#5 Posted : 26 October 2012 18:53:39

BigGrin Hi SMM
Thanks for looking in and the kind words,yes shes an unusual ship that even had rocketsBlink as part of her antiaircraft batterys along with the more conventional armament of the period.
As for the etch its more along the lines of replacing small parts like the gun shields, propelors and undercariages and other parts but still nice to add.
The clear moulded aircraft are a pleasure to behold panel lines and detail that you would be suprised at,i think the idea behind doing them this way is that once painted up the clear canopy gives depth as though your looking into the cockpit,you will see there size when compared to a penny in the pics
regards
AndyCool
00shinano.jpg
04shinano.jpg
PA260079.JPG
PA260080.JPG

arpurchase
#6 Posted : 27 October 2012 20:52:32

BigGrin Hi All
I have decided to build the Shinano 1st as the etch is almost minimal and there are no large areas to trim away.
First impresions are a very well moulded and detailed outer hull that fits together with no gaps this is not the case though with the inner forward tray as there were some gaps here that needed a little green putty and some filing where the conponents meet.
regards
AndyCool
PA260081.JPG
PA260083.JPG
PA260084.JPG

arpurchase
#7 Posted : 27 October 2012 20:58:46

BigGrin Some more pics of the hull after filling and filing the parts mentioned in the previous post,i have also trimed all the relevant parts off the hull ready for the etch.The main hull side platforms are now being added before the etch is added and painting comences
regards
AndyCool
PA270085.JPG
PA270086.JPG
PA270087.JPG
PA270090.JPG
PA270093.JPG
PA270094.JPG
PA270095.JPG
PA270098.JPG
PA270099.JPG
PA270101.JPG
PA270102.JPG

arpurchase
#8 Posted : 28 October 2012 11:42:28

BigGrin All the major hull components have now been added just need to wait for the etch to arrive and then its the painting of the wierd green colour the J.I.N painted there ships at this period of the war.This is a mix of colours to reproduce and almost gives it an off worldy ghost like look,more soon
regards
AndyCool
PA280104.JPG
PA280106.JPG
PA280109.JPG
PA280110.JPG
PA280111.JPG

SennaMentalMe
#9 Posted : 28 October 2012 14:13:47

Groups:

Great progress already Andy and looking forward to seeing it develop!! I bet it's nice for you not to have to do so much sanding, shaping and sealing as it takes on those wooden builds isn't it??

Keep up the good work Andy,

Kev BigGrin
arpurchase
#10 Posted : 28 October 2012 14:58:14

BigGrin Hi Kev
I know what you mean but to me both have there merits one your creating a 3 dimensional shape by the building up of components and shaping ect to bring it all out where as with plastic things are a little easyer as all the shaping is pre moulded the chalenge here is to make it stand out with the finish.
regards
AndyCool

SennaMentalMe
#11 Posted : 28 October 2012 15:03:37

Groups:

Totally agree Andy and that is what makes modelling fun, being able to build a model of the same subject but in different ways with their own unique problems and with different end results!! Keep up the good work mate.

Kev BigGrin
arpurchase
#12 Posted : 28 October 2012 17:43:32

BigGrin Did a little bit of hacking and choping on the hangar lift bases, as you can see in the 1st two pics there are three stubbs of plastic these are to hold the lifts at the correct height if you choose to place them in the down position as mine will be in the raised position these needed removing the last two pics show the results,much better i think than leaving it looking like somethings missing here
regards
AndyCool
PA270085.JPG
PA270087.JPG
PA280112.JPG
PA280113.JPG

arpurchase
#13 Posted : 28 October 2012 18:50:25

BigGrin Hi All
iv now compleated all the major component builds i can do before the adding of the etch components and painting comences so i did a test fitting of the armoured deck to the hull with the bridge dry fitted.Any areas that you can see with file marks are where the etch is going, i might try painting one of the aircraft,if you think the DeAG Akagi aircraft are small the zero,s are at least 2/3rds smaller on this model so this is going to be funBlink
regards
AndyCool
PA280114.JPG
PA280115.JPG
PA280116.JPG
PA280117.JPG

arpurchase
#14 Posted : 17 November 2012 20:28:41

Cool BigGrin Hi All
finaly recieved the etch iv been waiting for the Shinano. I have sprayed the inner hangar its colour and then masked off this area ready for the outer colour.
Then its addd the etch to the lower hull mostly gangways and ladders and railings but time consuming due to its size,there was also a rather nice bow piece with the crysanthemum crest to add aswell.
Sorry about the quality of some of the pic,s cant seem to get the focus right lately as ussual all comments and questions are welcome
regards
Andy
PB170156.JPG
PB170162.JPG
PB170163.JPG
PB170158.JPG
PB170161.JPG
PB170165.JPG
PB170166.JPG
PB170171.JPG
PB170175.JPG
PB170179.JPG
PB170180.JPG

SennaMentalMe
#15 Posted : 17 November 2012 20:41:04

Groups:

Great work as usual Andy and congratualtions on managing to get such fine etchwork properly attached and looking nice and neat!!Cool ThumpUp

It never ceases to amaze me how much difference can be made to a model by the addition of good quality etch and it definitely brings the model to a whole new level, well done mate!! Looking forward to some more, keep up the good work.BigGrin

Kev BigGrin
arpurchase
#16 Posted : 17 November 2012 20:58:40

BigGrin Hi Kev
thanks for looking in and thanks for your comments,yes i totaly agree about how some good quality etch can give an entire new dimension to a model
regards
AndyCool

Dontshootme
#17 Posted : 17 November 2012 21:06:00

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

That is looking superb Andy.Are the etch kits easy to get hold of for any brand of model or do you really have to go hunting for them?
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
arpurchase
#18 Posted : 17 November 2012 21:53:53

BigGrin Hi Rob
To be honest its a mixed bag for etch the more popular the kit means an etch kit is available somewhere,aircraft and milatary vehecles are ussaly have the better availability mostly with etch and resin enhancments,but there is a good range for cars and bikes out there too now a good place to start is Eduard, although there are some good ship etch kits being covered lately such as the super sets by Lion Roar and Flyhawk these can inlude all the required etch, brass turned gun barrels, brass propelors and anchor chains but as you can guess these are for the best selling kits only and can cost as much as the ship kit.
Some times its a long trawl through search engines to get what you want but i think its worth it in the end.The Akagi flight deck was redily available on Ebay but the bridge etch kit was a little harder to find,I came across a set of 6 japanese trucks, tanks and a set of etch crates on one site but cant find them now should have saved them to favoritesCrying.Hope this helps
regards
Andy Cool

Dontshootme
#19 Posted : 18 November 2012 10:39:44

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Many thanks Andy,both my sons have declared a deire to "get into" modelling but don't feel they have the confidence or skills for wood kits but would like something better than run of the mill plastic ones.So I thought a fairly easy kit with some uncomplicated etch would fit the bill nicely.One is into armour & the othe fancies ships.....don't suppose you or any of the other plastic builders would know of anything that fits the above specs at all?
Cheers
Rob
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
arpurchase
#20 Posted : 18 November 2012 11:15:28

BigGrin Hi Rob
The tanks are easy realy a good start may be one of the german panzers with zimmermit tiger,panther, stug, mark 4 to name but a few,the zimermit is easy to fix as its covering compleat panels and gives an instant effect to the model,if you look at my panther build on here you can see an example of a zimmermit etch kit iv added some pics aswell.As for ships this depends on the kit really i presume your looking at battleships ww2 or 1 and not sailing ships,all of the most famouse battle ships will have an etch set of some description available.
One thing i will say is this could cost you an arm and a leg as 1/700 ship etch is very very small and fiddly a better scale may be 1/350 for a battleship as the etch will be more managable and around 1/35 scale for tanks ect.
If you could give an idea of what tank/ship there gaggingDrool for then i could give you a better idea of whats available,you can PM if you like so they cant see what your asking about,hope this helps
regards
AndyCool

PS there are tank kits [dragon and afv i think] that include a small amount of etch aswell
P5260449.JPG
P5260450.JPG
P5260451.JPG
P5260452.JPG
P5260453.JPG
P5260454.JPG