Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123>
help with sizes please Options
tomo29
#21 Posted : 10 May 2010 21:35:43

Groups: Registered

just on ebay now i hav seen a 19 piece set with 1 to 10 mm and half sizes do that mean they will be a half a mm and 1 and a half and so on they they cost 5.99
jase
#22 Posted : 10 May 2010 23:29:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

some great advice in this thread especialy like the idea of a strip of drilled holes marked with the drill size. you should get some scrap plywood in isue 6 that could be used fot this.

However I think everybody has missed somthing very important indeed. I may be wrong but i think Mike may be the first person to get kisses from pam at the end of a post!!!
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
BenE
#23 Posted : 11 May 2010 00:09:50

tomo29 wrote:
just on ebay now i hav seen a 19 piece set with 1 to 10 mm and half sizes do that mean they will be a half a mm and 1 and a half and so on they they cost 5.99

got a link?
tomo29
#24 Posted : 11 May 2010 08:45:28

BenE wrote:
tomo29 wrote:

got a link?

you can put it in to ebay its called
Amtech 19 Piece Drill Bit Set Titanium Coated 1-10mm
and the number for it is the item number 270541325687
there is only two left
Mike Turpin
#25 Posted : 11 May 2010 09:21:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month

There are two different sets possibly getting confused on this post.

The sizes that Pam was interested in were all less than 1 mm, I got a set recently off e-bay of micro drill bits, the current offer from the same seller is item no: 140405531875. These stop at 1.6 mm

What Tomo29 is suggesting is a set starting at 1mm and going up to 10 mm which is quite a large size for our purposes I would think.

The answer is you probably need both, at some stage in the build.

Mike T
jonny7england
#26 Posted : 11 May 2010 10:28:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Mike Turpin wrote:

The sizes that Pam was interested in were all less than 1 mm, I got a set recently off e-bay of micro drill bits, the current offer from the same seller is item no: 140405531875. These stop at 1.6 mm

What Tomo29 is suggesting is a set starting at 1mm and going up to 10 mm which is quite a large size for our purposes I would think.

Mike T

Totally agree with you on that one Mike, I think that some larger drill bits will be needed in this build above 1.6mm, we will probably discover that as the build progresses..so it would be a safe bet to obtain drill bits up to around 2mm which I have had to use on past wooden models..
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
Mac
#27 Posted : 11 May 2010 12:58:03

Hi guys,
I've been following this thread with interest and have aquired some micro drills, so I've been practising drilling but find that I'm all over the place and being lefthanded doesnt help I think cos anything I place in the drilled hole is wonky as I must be drilling wonky,so to the point of my post. Is the a method of drilling at the scale of this build accuratly? (drilling straight for me would be a start)LOL
Pam's shipyard is closed for now no more room!

pamlupo
#28 Posted : 11 May 2010 13:03:53

I have bought some tongue depressors and going to drill a hole in the bottom bi and then mark them with the size of the drill. Brillant idea thanks everyone.
I suppose yo can use lollipop sticks
Mike Turpin
#29 Posted : 11 May 2010 13:15:08

Hi Pam (Mac)

I am assuming that you are using a simple hand-drill. At an early stage in my wooden boat building I was using the hand-drill and then got a Dremel power tool. Both of these are difficult to hold by hand and to get straight.

My solution was to invest in the Dremel Vertical drilling stand as my Christmas present this year.

Obviously there is an cost involved, but I have found it well worth it in terms of accurate positioning and keeping holes perpendicular. It is particularly good when drilling very small holes in metal strip.

You can also see in the picture the vice which is quite substantial and has slots in the face plates to hold circular cross-section pieces vertical or horizontal.

Hope that helps

Mike T

Mac
#30 Posted : 11 May 2010 13:48:15

Thank you Mike, yes a drill stand is something I will certainly consider now. Fortunatly I have a birthday coming up so I will start dropping hints!BigGrin
Pam's shipyard is closed for now no more room!

tomo29
#31 Posted : 11 May 2010 19:08:31

Mike Turpin wrote:

Mike T

thanks mike i did not know that therewas drill bits smaller that o.5mm thanks i will look at that item now
tomo29
#32 Posted : 11 May 2010 19:12:06

Mike Turpin wrote:

Mike T

thank u mike thats what im looking for them sizes hav u got a set of them for ur victory
jonny7england
#33 Posted : 11 May 2010 21:16:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

To stop your drill going all over the place when starting to drill, try using a needle or bradawl to make a tiny guide hole first then start drilling, this way it will not slip..BigGrin
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
jonny7england
#34 Posted : 11 May 2010 21:24:29

Mike, that Dremel Vertical drilling stand, is it solely for a Dremel, or would I be able to use my Blackspur drill with it, I'd like to know before investing in such a handy piece of equipment.Smile
Tiswas
#35 Posted : 11 May 2010 21:34:59

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

tomo29 wrote:
Tiswas wrote:
I bought a 20 drill set, 0.3 through to 1.6mm in a handy case from Maplins, cost £10.99, which I thought was a good buy?
TIS

were did u get it from matey

Come on Tomo, it does say I got them from Maplins.....lolLOL LOL
TIS
snowtiger
#36 Posted : 11 May 2010 22:02:49

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Sounds like we have a similar set Tiswas....mine is a Blackspur set 20 piece hss micro twist drill set...0.3 to 1.6 mm......probably not as high quaility as maplins ....but does the job...cost me 6and a half quid inc postage off e-bayBigGrin
Mike Turpin
#37 Posted : 11 May 2010 22:16:05

tomo29 wrote:
Mike Turpin wrote:

Mike T

thank u mike thats what im looking for them sizes hav u got a set of them for ur victory

Hi Tomo29, look at my quote and you will see the e-bay item no. for the set I bought.

I've just checked they still have some for sale at less than £3.00 inc postage.
jase
#38 Posted : 12 May 2010 00:26:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

A much cheper solution to the fancy drill stand is a template. This needs to be a piece of metal 2mm - 3mm thick. the idea is that you have all your drill bit sizes pre drilled into the plate. when you need to drill a hole in your model you just line up your hole over the point to be drilled and push your powerdrill bit in, then swithch on and drill your hole. should be strait every time!!
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Mike Turpin
#39 Posted : 13 May 2010 00:17:20

jonny7england wrote:
Mike, that Dremel Vertical drilling stand, is it solely for a Dremel, or would I be able to use my Blackspur drill with it, I'd like to know before investing in such a handy piece of equipment.Smile

Sorry Jonny

didn't reply yesterday. I wouldn't like to say whether it would fit the Blackspur. I believe that if you google for drilling stands, there are ones probably cheaper than the Dremel one which claim to be universal. Otherwise why not take your drill into B & Q and ask if you can try it before buying. I bought mine in B & Q.

Mike T
Mike Turpin
#40 Posted : 13 May 2010 00:20:41

jase wrote:
A much cheper solution to the fancy drill stand is a template. This needs to be a piece of metal 2mm - 3mm thick. the idea is that you have all your drill bit sizes pre drilled into the plate. when you need to drill a hole in your model you just line up your hole over the point to be drilled and push your powerdrill bit in, then swithch on and drill your hole. should be strait every time!!

If that works for you fine! For me it sounds fiddly to line up, especially when drilling small components like bits of cannon carriage, for instance. Using the drill stand you can also fix the depth for the hole to avoid over-drilling etc and also drill at a set angle if necessary.

Mike T