Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

The funny side of Naval terms!! Options
snowtiger
#1 Posted : 08 May 2010 14:39:25

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

While somebody puts together a proper glossary of naval terms and what various names of equipment mean...i thought we should ....just for a bit of fun .BigGrin ...come up with a lighter side of naval terms of our own...so since i started it... i'll go first..

Anchor.....Great on toast (see butter).

slip-knot...an average inde rock band (see now't special).

Poop deck....Usualy the result of high seas, big storms and bad curry's...(see 12 pounder)

Broadsides...a rather large chunky ship mate with a weak tummy....usualy blamed for the 12 pounder.

Rear Admaral....somebody you realy don't want to be in front of when you drop the soap.

Naval salute...An interesting trick to teach your belly button...(otherwise known as an outie).

right thats me done for now shipmates....who's next.??.BigGrin BigGrin
mavrickandgoose
#2 Posted : 08 May 2010 15:10:16

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

lol cant think of any of the top of my head, but there is a great book called jack speak which gives loads on nicknames and sayings layed out like a dictionary.
its amazing how many terms we use every day actually came rom the navy!!
jase
#3 Posted : 09 May 2010 00:37:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I keep telling my 14 year old daughter that if she is good ill make her captain of the head. i guess one day she will get around to googling that
LOL LOL LOL
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
mavrickandgoose
#4 Posted : 09 May 2010 00:39:40

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

all i can say is in the navy thats the toilets, nothing else!!!!!!
Jamie
#5 Posted : 09 May 2010 09:30:41

I just googled it.....and.....she is sooooooo going to kill you LOL for dissing her BigGrin LOL innit

I wish I were a glow worm,
A glow worm's never glum,
'Cause how can you be grumpy?
When the sun shines out ya bum!!
jase
#6 Posted : 09 May 2010 09:39:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

you nows it LOL LOL my grandfather was in the navy 1934 to 1977 and thats the best naval put down he is prepared to tell meMellow
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
hudsonrobert49
#7 Posted : 09 May 2010 10:01:51

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Wet Leg
Regards

Rob

Bridlington.

Built Flying Scotsman (Train). Collecting HMS VICTORY