Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Engine cover fitting Options
Heinzy
#1 Posted : 23 October 2012 13:32:14

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

With the end in sight, the build is still not without its issues! Angry

My engine and airbox cover has never fitted quite right, I didn't say anything before because I knew we was getting a revised air intake

But even with this smaller intake I am still experiencing a fitment issue
pics attached

It may be the case that my piece was "squashed" during delivery but i wanted to see if anyone else had this issue and if so how they resolved it?

I was planning to gently heat the part up and try and "fold" the edges back into shape Confused

Any help would be greatly appreciated at this stage!
Just don't want to apply the decals and Kleer coat only to find i need to replace parts
Heinzy attached the following image(s):
gap.JPG
nearly there.JPG
lholland
#2 Posted : 23 October 2012 14:29:49

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I have this issue but was wondering if it was because I had not fitted the replacement intake yet. I also notice that the nose has stayed in the fixed position on your pictures where as mine has a tendency to drop slightly. Could that be resolved when the pilot tube is added I wonder.
lholland
#3 Posted : 23 October 2012 14:31:33

BTW, Love the toys in the background, looks just like my house, having to find any space I can for the things I own. LOL LOL LOL

Lee
Smeg and the Heads
#4 Posted : 23 October 2012 14:32:12

Hi Heinzy

I have a similar issue although it is not quite as noticeable as yours, my engine cover fits perfectly everywhere but does not quite meet the sidepods by about 1mm on the right and 2-3mm on the left, I can press it down into place so there is nothing obstructing it. The cover must be slightly miss shapen, I have tried heating it with a hair dryer but it just sprung back into the same position (maybe I did not put enough heat into it). Like you I have known for a while but was trying to work out what to do, I am not overly concerned because the left hand side is almost acceptable, and ultimately it could be either glued or screwed into place just like the engine cover on the real car.
only1ianuk
#5 Posted : 23 October 2012 15:04:04

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

This is the problem i mentioned in a previous post. With mine it seems the side pods and the engine cover overlap by 1mm which is causing the engine cover not to sit in place correctly! Plus i think it's slightly miss-shapen.
Any ideas from Tomick or Admin???
Heinzy
#6 Posted : 23 October 2012 15:41:25

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Yeah the living room's a mess!

I get a small window of time once a week to get my kit done, when the wife's at work, the babies in bed and the moon is full!
So sometimes I just leave her toys out to get the build done Cool

Well I'm glad in a way that I'm not the only one with the issue, but I'm not glad that they didn't package this part properly leaving it prone to mis-shaping

I did think about having it glued in place, but then I'll lose the detail of the engine and gear box Crying
Any one else considered these drastic measures?
only1ianuk
#7 Posted : 23 October 2012 16:13:47

Heinzy wrote:
Yeah the living room's a mess!

I get a small window of time once a week to get my kit done, when the wife's at work, the babies in bed and the moon is full!
So sometimes I just leave her toys out to get the build done Cool

Well I'm glad in a way that I'm not the only one with the issue, but I'm not glad that they didn't package this part properly leaving it prone to mis-shaping

I did think about having it glued in place, but then I'll lose the detail of the engine and gear box Crying
Any one else considered these drastic measures?

I considered that but like you i don't want to lose the detail of the engine bay.
I was considering shaving some of the engine cover off to fit as i thought i was the only one! As i'm not it seems like Deag need to issue another fix on how to deal with this issue.
lholland
#8 Posted : 23 October 2012 16:34:35

I was considering double sided tape or those glue dots only. there's too much hard work and detail to lose otherwise.
Skiddy
#9 Posted : 23 October 2012 17:50:38

Same as yours 3mm gap both sides even with air box off. Seems sides of cover not long enough................

Fix please !!!!
SennaMentalMe
#10 Posted : 23 October 2012 19:00:30

Groups:

Hello Heinzy,

In your first photo, it looks like the vertical gap gets wider the closer it gets towards the bottom of the car where the engine cover then follows the horizontal joint and in that plane it seems to get wider still towards the rear of the cover.

To me that suggests that it is the internal air induction box - the one with the gold foil around it - which is holding the engine cover up too high maybe?? Can you just temporarily try fitting the engine cover WITHOUT the internal induction box in place and see if that allows a better fit at the joints?? If that cures it then let me know as there MAY be a solution to the problem without resorting to glue or screws?

Kev BigGrin
only1ianuk
#11 Posted : 23 October 2012 19:06:43

SennaMentalMe wrote:
Hello Heinzy,

In your first photo, it looks like the vertical gap gets wider the closer it gets towards the bottom of the car where the engine cover then follows the horizontal joint and in that plane it seems to get wider still towards the rear of the cover.

To me that suggests that it is the internal air induction box - the one with the gold foil around it - which is holding the engine cover up too high maybe?? Can you just temporarily try fitting the engine cover WITHOUT the internal induction box in place and see if that allows a better fit at the joints?? If that cures it then let me know as there MAY be a solution to the problem without resorting to glue or screws?

Kev BigGrin

I've already tried applying the "fix" from the admin sticky but that doesn't resolve it either so its not the induction box. The cover simply doesn't fit on top of being too flat
scottww86
#12 Posted : 23 October 2012 19:34:26

I haven't got these bits yet! Is it well clear of the exhausts?
If at first you don't succeed........skydiving is not for you!
SennaMentalMe
#13 Posted : 23 October 2012 19:36:28

Groups:

Sorry only1ianuk, I hadn't seen the fix in the Admin 'sticky' and that was exactly what I was going to suggest to Heinzy after he got back to me, namely take some material off the bottom of the internal air induction box. Can I just ask, when you did your fix, did you also do the last bit where it says to remove some of the inside part of the cover between 7mm and 15mm from the apex??

Kev BigGrin
Smeg and the Heads
#14 Posted : 23 October 2012 20:03:49

Here are a couple of pics of my gaps, as you can see the right hand side is not too bad but the left is more prominant. I do not have either part of the induction box fitted so that is not the problem. I think it is just out of shape, the problem is what to do? heat up and adjust or fix into place, as I said earlier I have already tried heating it with a hair dryer but it didn't work, maybe I did not get it hot enough.
Smeg and the Heads attached the following image(s):
DSC03221.JPG
DSC03222.JPG
roymattblack
#15 Posted : 23 October 2012 20:26:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

The Admin 'sticky' fix was translated and made by me, but it seems as if the 'fix' doesn't make much difference anyway.

It really looks as if the two vertical tail fin halves are fitting nicely together, but leaving the horizontal lower halves at a slight inclined angle compared to the body - hence, they won't lay 'flat'.
The trouble with the 'bending' solution, is that the kit plastic is really hard and fairly thick and will probably break before sufficient bend is applied.
I remember reading somewhere once that with polystyrene kit plastic, to bend it into a better shape, you need to bend between 30-50 degrees past the correct shape.
I suspect the McLaren bits won't cope with anything near that.
Also, being an ABS kind of plastic, I don't think heat will make a scrap of difference until you get to seriously high temp which will discolour the paint anyway.
I haven't reached this stage yet, but as far as I can see, the only real 'fix' is to allow for the gap when building up the main body, and adjust to fill it as far as possible.
Not much help to those who are nearing completion I'm afraid though.

Sadly, many of us are learning 'fixes' from the problems others are finding.
Kyosho development seems to be a bit lacking in several areas.

Roy.
schueyking
#16 Posted : 23 October 2012 20:41:57

I am not that far yet, but not looking forward to this at all!!!Cursing I had to get 3 issues of number 64, because the bits were bent out of shape!Cursing For a £700 plus kit, this should be a lot better!Crying

Chris.
only1ianuk
#17 Posted : 23 October 2012 23:10:15

SennaMentalMe wrote:
Sorry only1ianuk, I hadn't seen the fix in the Admin 'sticky' and that was exactly what I was going to suggest to Heinzy after he got back to me, namely take some material off the bottom of the internal air induction box. Can I just ask, when you did your fix, did you also do the last bit where it says to remove some of the inside part of the cover between 7mm and 15mm from the apex??

Kev BigGrin

Hi Kev,
I didn't do the little cut out bit as it didn't make a difference to the panel alignment when the induction pod was left out all together. If I really push the panels down then they do align but it does seem the induction pod panels are slightly too large for the engine cover to easily fit in.
I really think this is something admin need to look into otherwise we're all going to be hacking bits off here and there and bending it to high heaven.
S2ksean
#18 Posted : 23 October 2012 23:50:37

If mine turns out like this I'm not gonna be a happy bunny. Can Tom or admin clear this up please
CURRENT BUILDS

Mclaren MP4-23
Ford 1/12 Shelby Mustang GT500 2010
HMS Pandora
Tomick
#19 Posted : 24 October 2012 12:45:11

Groups:

Looking ahead, the rear of the engine cowl is secured with two screws via its wing to the rear fairing fences with two screws. This pulls in the cowl for an improved shape, though this also means that the engine cowl is not an instant 'lift off' item without first removing the screws.
Because the rear of the engine cowl is screw secured, some might want to consider fixing the engine cowl permanently.

Admin/DeAg have been alerted to the matter.
only1ianuk
#20 Posted : 24 October 2012 13:02:52

Tomick wrote:
Looking ahead, the rear of the engine cowl is secured with two screws via its wing to the rear fairing fences with two screws. This pulls in the cowl for an improved shape, though this also means that the engine cowl is not an instant 'lift off' item without first removing the screws.
Because the rear of the engine cowl is screw secured, some might want to consider fixing the engine cowl permanently.

Admin/DeAg have been alerted to the matter.

Thanks Tomick,
As always you're a star.