Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123
Engine cover fitting Options
massive
#41 Posted : 03 January 2013 14:45:18

Groups: Registered

I will double check but I'm pretty sure its not there. Will pm admin if its not. Thanks for your help
scermat
#42 Posted : 01 March 2013 23:56:26

Hi guys,

I'm afraid I'm facing the same problem.

Initially I didn't worry too much since admin said that this was a problem with a small batch probably related to storage. So I went ahead and ordered a new one.

Having tried to test fit the new one, I found the exact same problem. Very annoying to say the least. Is there anyone out there who hasn't experienced this problem? I did see some completed builds, most of which have a very visible gap.

I did try improving the rear cowling fit with a hairdrier, but while the gap was reduced, it then left a gap with where the left induction box cowl was supposed to fit.

Unfortunately I have a feeling that this is just the way it is with this part. I'll go ahead and order a new one hoping that I'll be able to sort it out this time. Any tips that can help me out will be greatly appreciated. Should I try to adjust the cowl after I fit it to the induction box cowls?

If admin can let me know if this is really a problem with a specific batch and provide me with the affected batch numbers I'll be able to let my supplier know to avoid these.

Thanks in advance for your help. Other than this issue I have been very pleased and satisfied with the model.

Matt
only1ianuk
#43 Posted : 02 March 2013 00:24:11

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

scermat wrote:
Hi guys,

Initially I didn't worry too much since admin said that this was a problem with a small batch probably related to storage. So I went ahead and ordered a new one.

Having tried to test fit the new one, I found the exact same problem. Very annoying to say the least. Is there anyone out there who hasn't experienced this problem? I did see some completed builds, most of which have a very visible gap.

I did try improving the rear cowling fit with a hairdrier, but while the gap was reduced, it then left a gap with where the left induction box cowl was supposed to fit.

Unfortunately I have a feeling that this is just the way it is with this part. I'll go ahead and order a new one hoping that I'll be able to sort it out this time. Any tips that can help me out will be greatly appreciated. Should I try to adjust the cowl after I fit it to the induction box cowls?

If admin can let me know if this is really a problem with a specific batch and provide me with the affected batch numbers I'll be able to let my supplier know to avoid these.

Thanks in advance for your help. Other than this issue I have been very pleased and satisfied with the model.

Matt

Hi Matt,

I found the best option was a baking dish with boiling water. Place the part in it for about 30 seconds to a minute.
I then bent the part to how i thought it would fit. Held it for a couple of minutes whilst it cooled then test fitted it.
I did this several times until i got as close as possible.
Its fiddly but worth the effort!
Hope this helps
Ian
scermat
#44 Posted : 02 March 2013 00:35:29

Thanks Ian.

Much appreciated!!!

Did you place the rear cowl by itself in boilimg water or did you do it after attachimg the side cowls to it first?

I think ill back order a couple of this issue to make sure i get it right.

Thanks again,

Matt
Warthog
#45 Posted : 02 March 2013 11:00:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

scermat wrote:
Hi guys,

Matt

Hi Matt and welcome to the forum.

One thing to see is if you place hold the model from the bottom (floorpan) so that the rear and front are not on the ground (bit like a car jack) you will notice that the panel will fit a lot better.. I have noticed this in doing 4 builds now and in my experience put it down to flexing in the floorpan... give it a text and you should see what I mean..

One way around this once you have the correct fit is to attach the "skid" board to the botom of the car once you have the panel fitted correctly, this will hold the floor in its correct possition. Even with the wheels off this can be done but by placing something under the centre or the car floorpan so to give it a slight "bend"..

A lot of playing around to acheive a good fit but it does work..

My first build had mixed results but knowing what to look out for on the others I have not had any problems as fixes where put into place long before..

Hope this helps Matt

Spencer
only1ianuk
#46 Posted : 02 March 2013 16:40:54

scermat wrote:
Thanks Ian.

Much appreciated!!!

Did you place the rear cowl by itself in boilimg water or did you do it after attachimg the side cowls to it first?

I think ill back order a couple of this issue to make sure i get it right.

Thanks again,

Matt

It was originally attached but the epoxy softened in the hot water and so seperated. So then i did it without the side cowls.
I also found that making the side cowls a tighter fit helped with the fitting as well.
Ian
scermat
#47 Posted : 02 March 2013 20:58:05

Much appreciated guys!!

I've now back ordered 2 copies of this issue so that I'll hopefully get a decent one :) If not, I guess I'll have to keep trying until I manage to sort it out :)

Thanks again!

Matt
mellim
#48 Posted : 16 March 2013 15:33:15

I have similar problem with a gap. Basically i solve the problem by making one of the guide pin nearer to the back wing thicker. I super glued a smaller flat piece of plastic same thickness to the guide to make a tighter fit to get it in place. Hope this helps if you a simple method.
Simon24
#49 Posted : 08 September 2014 00:10:46

Very interesting reading here.

Ive just finished issue 85 and im having the same problem with the engine cowling. Im going to give the boiling water a try to see if it will correct the problem otherwise im going to have to glue the engine cowling down which i dont really want to do..
Tomick
#50 Posted : 08 September 2014 08:37:49

Groups:

The hairdryer method also works
mark8454
#51 Posted : 12 April 2015 16:18:52

Admin,

I have fell victim to this problem and the whole cowling is distorted, can I get a replacment?

Thanks
lotus79
#52 Posted : 28 October 2015 22:38:52

Hi this is my first post on here,i have noticed after a lot of fitting and and fitting again that my problem with the engine cover is that it is not fitting properly over the rear suspension parts and that it needs to be forced down quite a lot to get it to fit within reason,and even then there are gaps has anyone else come across this or is it just me
Tomick
#53 Posted : 29 October 2015 09:11:14

Groups:

Idea's for how to resolve this can be found in this topic
http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=posts&t=5227
roymattblack
#54 Posted : 20 July 2016 23:00:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

A fix for the rear upper parts:

http://forum.model-space...osts&t=7125&p=2

Roy