Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Painting the Bridge and other Small Items Options
dbartonjr
#1 Posted : 25 October 2012 20:34:05

Groups: Registered

Hi, again. I finally got the hull sanded to the point were I want to start building the Bridge. I see in the instructions that a paint brush is used to paint paint the windows and other small areas of the bridge. My question is how fine a brush should be used. I have 0 - 3 and none look fine enough to paint the small areas. Is there another tool to use to paint those areas. All recommendations are welcome. Cool

Current Builds: Yamato
On the Bench: Akagi, USS Missouri
budgie
#2 Posted : 25 October 2012 21:54:11

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

BigGrin Hi dbartonjr is it possible for u to give your brush a hair cut
arpurchase
#3 Posted : 25 October 2012 21:59:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi DJ
As Budgie has said trim a brush to the required size
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Yutaro HONMA
#4 Posted : 26 October 2012 01:43:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi dbartonjr!
I recommend you to use fine-point brushes. We call them "面相筆". Such brushes are easy to paint fine area because their tips are not separated.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/...;ref=pd_sl_6u5a1e4sxa_b

Regards,
Yutaro

DeAGOSTINI 1/250 the YAMATO, 1/250 the AKAGI.
Hasegawa Co. 1/350 Battle ship NGATO, 1/350 Aircraft carrier Akagi, Battle ship MIKASA.
Water line series 1/700 Battle ship YAMATO, HIEI, YAMASHIRO, Aircraft carrier HIRYU,TAIHO, Heavy Cruiser Myoukou, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro & others.
Hector
#5 Posted : 26 October 2012 10:24:14

As already said a hair cut works.I also mix a little pva in water,shape my brush and allow it to dry to get a nice crisp point and keep the stray bristles from interfering
Hector attached the following image(s):
Photo1040.jpg
Tell me the truth,I shall not offend nor be offended

court orchard
#6 Posted : 26 October 2012 11:04:42

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Why not just buy a 5/0 or 6/0 brush, these are readily available. In order to paint without picking up and not releasing too much paint, it is important to use a good quality brush. Red Kolinsky Sable brushes are the best and are what I use, although they are more expensive they last a long while keeping their shape when repeatedly cleaned, so are actually cheaper in the long run. Good quality brushes are carefully made to pick up and allow a controlled release of paint through capillary action triggered by light pressure on the point. It is possible to make a brush by trimming but it's never going to work as well and PVA will interfere with the brushes capillary action so you might as well use a cocktail stick. For the most minute detail I use a single human hair. A few good quality brushes will last ages if taken care of, it's most important to clean them straight after use and never leave them standing in water tip down, plus always store them tip up.
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
court orchard
#7 Posted : 26 October 2012 13:03:53

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Just had a look online and very fine Kolinsky sable brushes in 00, 000, 0000 and 00000 are £2-£3 each and available from numerous sources, these are the best brushes you can buy. I used them professionally for some years when we were doing work so small, we had to work under microscopes. Large Artists Kolinsky brushes are £50 or more, but the small brushes use so little hair that they are comparatively cheap.
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
dbartonjr
#8 Posted : 28 October 2012 16:23:50

Thanks everyone, I cut one brush and it worked very well. I will look into the other brushes mentioned and order some.

Current Builds: Yamato
On the Bench: Akagi, USS Missouri