Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
HM Schooner Pickle Options
mavrickandgoose
#1 Posted : 09 May 2010 15:40:05

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

I decided to buy the caldercraft model of the HM Schooner Pickle. It is quite a fitting ship as i it carried the news of the victory at Trafalger and Nelsons death back to the UK. She fittingly landed at Falmouth in Cornwall where i am from.
Which was one of the reasons i wanted to build her, also i found a thread on model ship world following the entire build, and the jotika website has all the plans and photos, which all comes in hand for a first build. All i have to do now is wait for it to be deleivered!!
steve
Mike Turpin
#2 Posted : 09 May 2010 16:26:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month

Are you in touch with philjaps1 who is doing a project on HMS Pickle?

Background to HMS Pickle Earlier Post

Mike T
mavrickandgoose
#3 Posted : 09 May 2010 16:31:48

No i wasn't Mike, but i will be now!! i missed that post, thats one of the problems of only having the net at the weekend at the moment, sometimes i miss posts!
Thank you for that
steve
captainalan
#4 Posted : 09 May 2010 19:47:55

hi mavrick did you watch the TV program on BBC4 weds nite?
series is called the boats that built Britain, the whole program was about H M S Pickle.
Alan
mavrickandgoose
#5 Posted : 09 May 2010 20:00:32

hi, yeah i did see it, it was quite good, i put a link to it on bbc i player on another thread, but i will put one on here as well.
steve
Zeptrader
#6 Posted : 09 May 2010 22:03:53

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

Hi Steve
I was looking at that ship as well, one queston, does the Jotika kit have sails?
mavrickandgoose
#7 Posted : 09 May 2010 22:43:14

i dont think it does asall pictures i have seen dont have them, when i get the kit i will let you know either way.
steve
mavrickandgoose
#8 Posted : 09 May 2010 23:05:18

a good link with photos of a full size replica of the Pickle

http://www.yachtworld.co...438/Conwy/United-Kingdom
philjaps1
#9 Posted : 12 May 2010 22:37:16

Hi, no there aren't any sails with the kit, but there are sail plans available if you want to do your own.

Phil
Zeptrader
#10 Posted : 12 May 2010 23:19:27

thanks for that info Phil, do you have a link for the sail plans?

Seems most of Jotika's ship have no sail with them.
philjaps1
#11 Posted : 13 May 2010 00:58:08

Zeptrader wrote:
thanks for that info Phil, do you have a link for the sail plans?

Seems most of Jotika's ship have no sail with them.

Hi, the link below will lead you to a site dedicated to Pickle. In particular the model by Ken Impey is a good source for the sail plans, I can’t comment on the book that the site advertised as mine hasn’t arrived yet, but what I can tell you is that the people that run the site are sending me some drawings of the sail plan so when they arrive I’ll scan them and pass them on for everyone.

Alternatively as you know she was a Square Topsail (Bermuda rig) Schooner there are quite a few websites that have plans for other vessels with the same rig - you could try them.

Hope this has helped.....

Phil

www.hmspickle.org.uk
mavrickandgoose
#12 Posted : 02 August 2010 20:28:12

I managed to get started on the pickle today, not done a lot though and i am off on leave on friday, so i will not get anymore done for a few weeks.
The parts to the kit seem to be excelent, the instructions seem to be very well explained and there are lots of plans in the box. I am very impressed with the kit.
I have just made part of the frame at the moment.
steve

Whats in the box

The plans

The start of the hull

andylangtree
#13 Posted : 02 August 2010 20:38:16

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good luck with the build, hope it goes well. Please keep pics coming
Mac
#14 Posted : 03 August 2010 00:11:27

Its looking good matey! hope u have tucked it away while ur ashore or u may come back to it finished!BigGrin
Pam's shipyard is closed for now no more room!

mavrickandgoose
#15 Posted : 03 August 2010 20:04:25

I finnished work early today, so decided to do some pickle planking! I really took my time and have put six planks on in just over six hours! but it was the planking that let me down on my endeavour longboat so i really wanted to get it right this time, and i am really pleased with the results so far.
steve

Jack Sparrow
#16 Posted : 03 August 2010 20:48:02

Thats the way to do it!!!BigGrin True though. Take your time and the benefits are worth it. and as my old Da used to say, "If a jobs worth doing..........". Yeah, I know, You heard the rest!!!LOL LOL . Keep the pics coming, its looking really good!!!BigGrin Cool BigGrin
MadDogUK
#17 Posted : 04 August 2010 22:56:06

mavrickandgoose wrote:
I decided to buy the caldercraft model of the HM Schooner Pickle. It is quite a fitting ship as i it carried the news of the victory at Trafalger and Nelsons death back to the UK. She fittingly landed at Falmouth in Cornwall where i am from.
Which was one of the reasons i wanted to build her, also i found a thread on model ship world following the entire build, and the jotika website has all the plans and photos, which all comes in hand for a first build. All i have to do now is wait for it to be deleivered!!
steve

Hi m8 can I jusk ask...... in your opinion is this kit a good choice for a complete novice like me? cause I've been looking for somthing to practise on - so I don't beggar up the victory!

cheers MD,
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.

Albert Einstein

karl1113
#18 Posted : 04 August 2010 23:10:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

hi maddog,I would'nt advise you to buy pickle,it features all the big ship bits like mini cannons,and I mean mini!! every thing is so small compared to victory,double skinning as well as copper plates,if you want to practise go ahead,but be warned it is not as easy as it looks, I found it challenging and then the cats distroyed it,knock it of a shelf and continued to chew all the yards and masts.the hull is the only surviving bit.don't know what will take the longest,cleaning the cats blood of the walls or repairing pickle.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
jonny7england
#19 Posted : 05 August 2010 10:39:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Repair the pickle Karl..It will be worth it mate. As I have mentioned before on another thread that I was restoring the Cutty Sark...I originally started out repairing the bowsprit and fittings that got knocked off due to moving house..but in the end, I landed up re-rigging her from the deck up...what I thought would be a nightmare job turned out to be a great pleasure because it allowed me to scratch build things that were not included in the original model parts...BigGrin
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
mavrickandgoose
#20 Posted : 01 September 2010 22:18:13

Firstly sorry for the late reply mad dog, been on leave so not had the net, i think this build is not to bad for the beginer, i am and although it is quite hard and takes a lot of thought there is lots of info on the model and builds on different forums to help out. and i think from what i have seen so far the instructions are really good.

i have done some more planking today and im really pleased with it, i need to give it a sand and a clean up, but i think it 100 times better than my last planking.