Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages 123>»
German SWS with Flak 43 and Maybach engine Options
Wilfy the Sea Dog
#1 Posted : 30 October 2012 19:01:56

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi All,

This is my first attempt at a proper build diary, so please be patient with me!

The SWS kit, Maybach Engine & the P.E. Set are all from Great Wall Hobby. The P.E. for the SWS, the Turned Barrell & Brass Ammo are from Lion Roar.

I've never made a Great Wall Hobby Kit before so it will be interesting to see the quality & fit.

All comments welcome!

Thanks

Wilfy
Wilfy the Sea Dog attached the following image(s):
SWS Carton mod.JPG
Photo etch Sets mod.JPG
Barrel & ammo mod.JPG
Maybech carton mod.JPG
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 30 October 2012 19:57:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looks an intresting kit Wilfy il be following your progress on this one
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Tomick
#3 Posted : 30 October 2012 22:01:49

Groups:

Nice subject Wilfy and from an uncommon manufacturer Cool
Wilfy the Sea Dog
#4 Posted : 31 October 2012 00:11:27

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi All,

These are the sprues for the engine assembly. There is also a very small etch fret with 5 pieces on it.

On first inspection look very clean & crisp.
Maybach Sprue.JPG
Wilfy the Sea Dog
#5 Posted : 31 October 2012 00:14:50

Don't like the sprue attachment points though, on many of the parts they run the onto item (don't stop at the edge) & are a little tricky to remove especially when they are on the mating faces.

Fit of parts is generally good though.

The first four engine parts assembled.
Engine right.JPG
arpurchase
#6 Posted : 31 October 2012 09:09:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Wilfy
what i do with sprues like that is i use the wire cutters provided in the free tool kit[victory,yamato,akagi issues] to cut the sprue about 2 mm above the part then use a small file to take it back to the part,or use a sherp blade to take the sprue off after cutting either way will do but the blade way can be a little to tricky for some,hope this helps
regards
AndyCool

PS i know that sprue cutters are available on the market but i think there expensive for what they are
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

MWG
#7 Posted : 31 October 2012 09:29:44

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Wilfy looking forward to this buildBigGrin Regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

SennaMentalMe
#8 Posted : 31 October 2012 11:33:35

Groups:

Hello Wilfy,

I like a bit of military modelling now and then and how nice it is to see such a subject in a build diary on MS, as we don't get enough of that sort of thing on here, very undersubscribed - anybody else fancy doing one?? This looks to be a very interesting subject Wilfy with some very nice upgrades and I'll look forward to following your progress. Well done on what you have done so far mate and it looks like that's gonna be one very detailed engine!!

Which reminds me, I MUST get and do some more on my LVT-4 'Water Buffalo' build, it's been too long already!!

Kev BigGrin
Wilfy the Sea Dog
#9 Posted : 31 October 2012 18:48:42

Thanks for all the interest & comments.

I just hope I can do it justice, it is a nice kit.

Thanks for tips Andy, I've been using pretty much the same method. I do have some sprue cutters & agree that they are overpriced.

Yes Kev, it would be good to see a few more Military projects on here, I have checked out your Water Buffalo build. It's coming along nicely & looking good.

The engine is very detailed & looks the part, the fir of components is also excellant so far.

Cheers.

Wilfy
Wilfy the Sea Dog
#10 Posted : 01 November 2012 10:12:53

Radiator assembled.
Radiator assy.JPG
Wilfy the Sea Dog
#11 Posted : 01 November 2012 10:17:25

More shots of the engine with detail added. Fit of parts was excellant.

Would make a nice model in it's own right.

I have since found out that this engine is not strictly correct for the SWS, it should have a side mounted oil tank (rather than underneath) amongst other things! It was purchased as a bundle, so I didn't think to check. It would be possible to modify it but I think I'm past that point so will use as is.
detail engine right.JPG
view on fan.JPG
view on rear.JPG
Detail engine left.JPG
SennaMentalMe
#12 Posted : 01 November 2012 11:24:52

Groups:

Great work Wilfy that is a beautiful looking engine and as you say, it makes a nice model in its' own right. Very nice.

I wouldn't worry too much about the oil tank position being incorrect for the SWS, as in times of war anything is possible and it was very often the case that spare parts from various different vehicles were cobbled together in the field just to keep things running when the logistics of war failed!!

Who's to say that there wasn't another vehicle with basically the same Maybach engine as the SWS, which was damaged or abandoned and they needed another engine so they just made it fit, even WITH an underslung oil tank or even bits from both?? Most people who will look at your model, apart from the anoraks, won't have a clue what should be correct or incorrect anyway, they'll just look at it and think it is very cool and even if they do pick up on it, just say "Ah, but on this particular vehicle, on such and such a day, it was changed in the heat of battle". Thus you will look more clued up than them!! LOL LOL

Keep up the good work Wilfy and I'm watching with interest!!

Kev BigGrin
Wilfy the Sea Dog
#13 Posted : 01 November 2012 12:42:46

Hi Kev,

Thanks for your comments. As I have no plans to exhibit the model, I'm also sure that nobody will really notice the engine & I am keen to use it as it does look good.

Wondered if you coul give me a bit of advice, I'm unsure what colour to paint the inside of the engine bay, I've tried searching the net but haven't found anything that really helps. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks again.

Wilfy
arpurchase
#14 Posted : 01 November 2012 13:20:35

BigGrin Hi Wilfy
the engine certainly looks good and aka Kevs coments on the sump,as for the engine bay colours as an educated guess it will be the dark green drab or the dark yellow drab base coat that was applied at the factory during manufacture as any other camoflage paint was added by the vehicle opperators in the field.hope this helps
regards
AndyCool

Wilfy the Sea Dog
#15 Posted : 01 November 2012 13:43:38

Thanks for that Andy, the base colour is olive green, so think I'll go for that.

The painting instructions are the only real let down of the kit so far, no detail painting covered at all.

Thanks again.

Wilfy
Wilfy the Sea Dog
#16 Posted : 01 November 2012 13:46:41

As the engine kit is not made to specifically fit any kit, I thought I best dry fit it first just in case!

Glad I did, as you can see from the pictures the air filter (?) encrouches into the foot well & there's no way that the rear engine bay panel can be fitted.
before mod.JPG
brfore mod 2.JPG
Wilfy the Sea Dog
#17 Posted : 01 November 2012 13:52:34

I decided to cut the middle section out of the hose, which shortened the assembly & set it at a slightly different angle. Not ideal but it fits!

I used an etched razor saw attached to a scapel handle to make the cuts. Once reattached I tidied it up a bit with Mr Surfacer 500.

Doesn't look too bad, me thinks BigGrin

Wilfy
after mod.JPG
SennaMentalMe
#18 Posted : 02 November 2012 17:01:30

Groups:

BigGrin Hello Wilfy,

Great work again mate!!

Regards the colour of the engine bay, I have put your question to a friend of mine who is far more knowledgeable than me on the subject of WW2 German stuff. He says that most German AFVs were first completely sprayed all over in a protective anti-rust 'Red Oxide' colour in the factory production lines and then later oversprayed externally according to whatever the required camouflage scheme might be. With most vehicles they tended to leave things like the engine bays and underneath of the mechanicals in the basic anti-rust Red Oxide colour since it wouldn't be seen anyway and had no need to be camouflaged. With Tanks and other 'turreted' or fully enclosed vehicles, the inside of the crew compartments/turrets were usually sprayed a kind of Ivory White and with AFVs like yours where they had an open top, then all those exposed internal areas would be sprayed in whatever the 'Base' colour of the selected Camouflage scheme might be, usually that German Dark Yellow colour (Dunkelgelb?) with any further colours like Dark Green or Red Brown streaks being mainly on the outside of the vehicle bodywork/armour??

I know that sometimes the engine bays were sprayed in a kind of Dark Blue/Grey colour but more often than not the bays would be a basic Red Oxide colour?

As for the actual engine that would be your normal Cast Iron, Aluminium or Steel colours with maybe some Black Painted ancillaries or covers. If you paint the engine as per the colours on the box top artwork and then the bay firewalls, etc, in 'dirtied up' or stained and dusty Red Oxide then it won't be far wrong I don't think??

Hope that helps Wilfy and sorry to be so long in my reply, I've been off the forum for a couple of days!!

Kev BigGrin
Wilfy the Sea Dog
#19 Posted : 02 November 2012 20:44:30

Hi Kev,

Thanks for reply.

I did think about a 'red oxide' colour, I have a bottle of Vallejo Model Air called 'Hull Red' which I have used inside the drive bays on tanks, wasn't sure if it was appropriate for this type of vehicle. Might go for it though because it would add a bit of contrast.

Going to go for Mr Metal Color Iron/Dark Iron for the engine as it is buffable & gives a nice effect (will have to buff very gently though, with all those small parts BigGrin )Will pick out some details with blacks/steel/rust etc.

I'm really enjoying doing this build diary, it adds a whole new dimension to the hobby!

Thanks again.

Wilfy
Wilfy the Sea Dog
#20 Posted : 02 November 2012 20:46:20

P.S.

Think I might remove those etch plates, bit squiffy & too thick, maybe try & sand them down a little & refit.

Wilfy