Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

The great Chain debate... Options
jase
#1 Posted : 11 May 2010 15:12:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

With the spring clean I have lost the thread relating to the debate on chain. The last post by Mike Turpin asked me for some more detail on photo etch as an alternative to chain.... always happy to obligeBigGrin

When fine chain is required there is only so far you can go with real chain and stay in scale. The manufacturing process of photo etch allows chain to be made much finer than real chain, the compromise, however, is that photo etch is flat. In the case of Chain the paint applied will flesh out the chain

let me use the canon as the example. I have used Aber photoetch manufactured in 1:35 scale for militery trucks and tanks, but chain is chain. The chain is cut to the required lenght and then shaped with the tip of a craft knife into the hanging position. carfuly placed on the cannon and then a small blob of super glue added to each end. oce dry a quick brush of paint.

advantages:

easy to shape
cheap
finer chain for small scale

disadvantages:

can look a bit flat
very fiddley

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Mike Turpin
#2 Posted : 11 May 2010 16:01:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month

Thanks for a really good reply Jase.

The result on your cannon looks good from the picture. I better order some photoetch and see how it works out for me. Perhaps put the extra fine chain on hold??

Mike T
cliffweld
#3 Posted : 11 May 2010 16:26:53

the photoetch looks good,i just ordered some on ebay.
CURRENT BUILDS
HMS HALIFAX
HMS BOUNTY
LYDIA EVA(STEAM DRIFTER)
MANTUA COASTAL CANON
COREL VICTORY CROSS SECTION
TAMIYA 1/35 MATILDA MK 2
HACHETTE TIGER TANK
DRAGON 1/35 TIGER TANK
Mike Turpin
#4 Posted : 11 May 2010 16:41:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month

cliffweld wrote:
the photoetch looks good,i just ordered some on ebay.

Tell us the link then!

Cool
Mike T
jase
#5 Posted : 11 May 2010 17:25:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

you can buy photo etch chain from most on line model shops you could also try white ensigne models on line or of corse ebay

you will notice my cannon now has the red end as per your advice.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain