Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages 123>»
Gaz Akagi Options
Gaz
#1 Posted : 02 December 2012 17:33:03

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi gang, Here is my diary of Deags Akagi. I subscribed to this about 4 months ago and am upto issue 16 and about to start planking Blushing. This an unusual thing from my point as I am generally only interested in royal navy ships but have been writing letters to santa BigGrin for a few years for him to get someone to bring out a British aircraft carrier but sadly no sign. Still I liked the look of this ship hence my going ahead with this. From the diarys I have followed this is certainly a challenge what with misaligned parts etc. While I am not an expert I am not a complete newbee neither so I hope I can do myself and the model justice. I am sure as time progresses I will have many questions to ask. Anyway enough of my babbling here are some pics of where I am at.

First the hull have screwed this to board

Frames screwed to board.

Bow and stern frames will shape these further later when planking completed in these areas.

Some of the metal bits.
Firstly the island

Will touch up these didn't notice some brass etch showing through.

Funnel and railings these only primed at the moment

Paravins

Platforms

Thats it for now still have the launches to do and also the aircraft but will leave these till a later point. Thanks for looking
Gaz

Completed models,Hachette Titanic.Deags. Hms Victory. Hachette Hems Hood.Ongoing builds. Deags Akagi,Deags Sovereign of the Seas,Deags Spitfire,On my wish list.Yamato.Royal Navy world war 2 aircraft carrier.
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 02 December 2012 19:23:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Gaz
Nice to see another Akagi on the go,nice work on the hull and the metal bashing,if you get stuck anywhere dont hesitate to ask or PM me if you want
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gaz
#3 Posted : 02 December 2012 20:36:14

Thanks Andy for your comments.
I have followed your build closely and am sure will need your help at some point. So far everything has gone together as it should but know this not the case later on when it comes to decks and hangers.
Completed models,Hachette Titanic.Deags. Hms Victory. Hachette Hems Hood.Ongoing builds. Deags Akagi,Deags Sovereign of the Seas,Deags Spitfire,On my wish list.Yamato.Royal Navy world war 2 aircraft carrier.
Ger C
#4 Posted : 04 December 2012 19:13:11

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Gaz,

welcome aboard, its great to see another build diary
Gaz
#5 Posted : 04 December 2012 19:28:33

Many thanks Ger C for your very kind welcome.
Ger C
#6 Posted : 04 December 2012 22:47:50

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

You're welcome
saintsman123
#7 Posted : 05 December 2012 10:57:22

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

great to see another akagi builder. i've got up to delivery 11 sitting waiting to build, i had planned to build it after victory, but the cross section has got in the way, and is taking up more time than i thought, hopefully when i do start tom will have the official build up and running again.

enjoy your build.
Come on you Jimmies
Gaz
#8 Posted : 05 December 2012 19:05:27

Thanks Saintsman for your comments. When you finally get around to starting I look forward to seeing your build. I agree too regarding the official build I hope that Mr. T gets it up and running shortly. My next set of parts(despatch No.5) is on its way as of today so will be able to start the planking then. I'm supposed to have received the free toolkit in my last despatch but it not arrive but I know from reading other ship builds of builders waiting for this too so I guess there is a stock issue. Still I received one with my victory so I not desperate for it.
Gareth
saintsman123
#9 Posted : 05 December 2012 21:56:13

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

i got my toolkit two weeks before the first parts arrivedConfused

it's exactly the same as the victory one, but you can never have enough knife handles, so that came in handy.BigGrin
Come on you Jimmies
Gaz
#10 Posted : 22 December 2012 17:56:09

Hi Gang Have received this months set of parts and have begun plankingBigGrin .With my last post I mentioned about tool kit and this arrived also BigGrin oh and also a tool pouch BigGrin.
Here's my latest Pics of where I am at.
First off are photo of tool kit and tool pouch BigGrin

Planking of the bow. I deviated slightly from the instructions regarding planking one side first then doing the other. I didn't like this idea so planked both sides at the same time to avoid bannana boat syndrome

Added the two strips of plank to the bow and sanded the bow to fit.

Dry fitted the bow deck and also bow formers.

Thats it for now. Thanks for looking and Happy Christmas all.

Gareth
arpurchase
#11 Posted : 22 December 2012 18:45:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Coming along nicelyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

sJD77
#12 Posted : 22 December 2012 20:08:16

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

This is looking very nice. Tempted to do this myself
Completed:Endeavour Longboat.
Collecting: Yamato
Gaz
#13 Posted : 24 December 2012 02:47:02

Thanks Andy and Sjd77 for looking in and for your comments. BigGrin .SJ so far I not had any major problems but I know from reading the build diarys on here that there are some challenges to come. For this reason it not a model I would recommend to a novice and without knowing your level of experience I couldn't say to go for itBigGrin .Have a look at Andy's (ARPurchase) build and see and judge for yourself. It would look good for sure alongside the Yamato.
Gareth
Ger C
#14 Posted : 24 December 2012 03:24:59

Hi Gaz,

your tool kit looks to have extra items than the one I received,

great job so far,

happy Christmas
Gaz
#15 Posted : 24 December 2012 03:45:34

Hi Ger C Merry Xmas to you also. Thanks for looking in. The tool kit is different from the one I received with the victory. There are some extra files and while there is no plankcutter/bender instead there is 4 mini clamps. Can never have too many clampsBigGrin
Gareth
Ger C
#16 Posted : 24 December 2012 04:19:05

Hi Gaz,

I just noticed that your frame 12a seems to be protruding outside the planking I dont think that this should be so, please post another picture and Im sure that someone can tell you if theres a problem
arpurchase
#17 Posted : 24 December 2012 11:08:24

BigGrin Hi Ger C
I too thought the same as you but if you look closely the lower strakes and the triangular shaped piece that go over the mentioned former have not as yet been fitted so all is correct as far as the build sequence has been made. Sorry Gaz if iv jumped your build
regards
AndyCool

Gaz
#18 Posted : 24 December 2012 14:49:53

Hi guys thanks both for your comments. I have followed the build instructions so think I am correct so far BigGrin. The frame thats in view is frame 12 where the thicker smaller planks are laid next. Frame 12a was covered in my last stage when planking the bow. I think my photography is not perfect and maybe its the angle that can give the wrong impression. All comments are always welcome good and bad I'm not an expert and how are we to improve our skills without such help from the guys on here.
Merry xmas all.
Gareth
arpurchase
#19 Posted : 24 December 2012 15:50:00

BigGrin Hi Gaz
its the camera angle that's the problem but what gives it away [ie no planks fitted yet] is the extra former added to the hull base plate as you can see its number in the pic.
The step at the front [former 12] is quite big at this stage after the other strakes have been added but after the adding of the armour belts this disappears. The stern step is almost non existant so I just planked straight over it and carved back the strakes to fit the stern armour belts. This was my own solution to it and im sure you will have your own ready when you get to that stage
regards
Andy

Gaz
#20 Posted : 24 December 2012 20:00:57

Thanks Andy for clearing this up. I have dry fitted the armour belt planks in this months lot of planks and I see what you mean regarding the step. Thanks too for the heads up regarding the stern armour belt planks will bare this in mind when I come to it I think next monthHuh.
Regards
Gareth