Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

New Starter Options
tf5600
#1 Posted : 12 May 2010 00:19:43

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hello to you all,

I may have bitten off more than i can chew with this ship building lark, i recently started to build the corel cut away section of the victory which is in its early stages and now started this one aswell. I am on issue 4 and building it as per magazine,i thought i was doing ok until i saw some of the pics on this forum, guess i got a long way to go but i really enjoy the challenge, I have not attempted any type of model since the plastic airfix kits as a boy so i can only follow the magazine to the letter.I think i will be intouch quite a lot for your advice.

bye for now

Ferret.
jase
#2 Posted : 12 May 2010 00:31:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

welcom aboard! dont worry there are lots of people with good tips on this site. some people have made lots of wooden ships before other like me are on there first so you are in good company. you will soon realise that we are all diffrent in our aproch and what we get out of it as long as you get out of it what you want thats all that matters. need any help give us a shout any time

jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
snowtiger
#3 Posted : 12 May 2010 00:34:06

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Welcome aboard Tf5.....quite a few of us on here are new to wooden ship building..but don't let that get you down....there are plenty of people who have many years of building experience and, who are more than happy to help you along ....BigGrin BigGrin
Dontshootme
#4 Posted : 12 May 2010 10:18:32

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hello & welcome to this motley crew,enjoy your build.
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
jonny7england
#5 Posted : 12 May 2010 10:59:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcomed aboard tf5600, you are not alone by being new to this kind of construction, though there are plenty of deck hands on here who will be only too willing to help with good advice should you need it. Hope that you enjoy your build BigGrin
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
Jamie
#6 Posted : 12 May 2010 11:37:32

Welcome aboard matey. This is a first for me too but am feeling pretty confident that all the friendly peeps on here will help out all us newbies at any time we need it and I'm sure you get along just fine.

Enjoy the voyage.....oh and the forum ThumpUp

P.S. We're all looking foreward to seeing some pictures of both your cut away section and the Victory

I wish I were a glow worm,
A glow worm's never glum,
'Cause how can you be grumpy?
When the sun shines out ya bum!!
dtgray
#7 Posted : 12 May 2010 13:12:49

Welcome aboard BigGrin
Regards,

David

data0002
#8 Posted : 12 May 2010 13:34:03

Welcome
Ted Smith
#9 Posted : 12 May 2010 18:56:32

Hi there.Ferret climb aboard, I thought same as you when I started my first project
but dont be put off,just take your own time and enjoy what you do,its your ship and so long as you are pleased with what you do it does not matter what others think.
And there is always your shipmates here who will try and point you in the right
direction. so splice the mainbrace and happy modeling.
Ted
Son of Bulwark
#10 Posted : 12 May 2010 19:44:30

Groups:

Hello and welcome!Cool
The best advise I can give, is to wait a little before starting the biuld. It's better to be a week or two behind the rest as we have already had some mistakes by DeAGOSTINI in issue 1 the magazine shows the base of the cannon carriage the wrong way round, it should be thin part to the front and wider part at the back so the cannon fits properly. and in issue 2 we were sent the wroung size archor ring it should have been between 13-14mm about 1/6 the length of the stock not the 7mm one sent.
So do your research and let others make the mistakes and post them on the forum as this will save you time and stop you pulling your hair out.Angry Cursing
As for other mistakes I can't say yet as I've just got issue 3 & 4 Today!
Lastly have fun and enjoy your build shipmate! LOL LOL LOL
alantait
#11 Posted : 12 May 2010 20:33:06

welcome to the club, the advice above is spot on and your knowledge will soon increase, don't worry about small mistakes these can usually be rectified with everyones help. this lot are a really good bunch and i have learned alot even though this is my 5th wooden model. one thing i will agree with is wait a week and see what comes next this way you can always "dryfit" your parts prior to the next section.
good luck with the build its going to be some ship when complete.BigGrin
current builds

victory,endeavour,thermoplye,constitution
tf5600
#12 Posted : 12 May 2010 21:29:46

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Thank you all for your comments, i feel better allready, issues 5 and 6 turned up today

Ferret
piot007
#13 Posted : 15 May 2010 11:11:46

Hi all. Im in the same boat. Daunting, looking at planking and rigging.Confused Looks more complex than gluing on wings LOL. I'll also be asking for advice. Sooner rather than you think i'll bet.Flapper Flapper
i dont know what weapons will be used in ww3 but ww4 will be sticks and stones.
jonny7england
#14 Posted : 15 May 2010 11:26:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi piot007 You will find that you will soon get into the swing of things once you get stuck into your build, and of course there is plenty of advice to be had on here..have fun..because that is what is..BigGrin
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
Mac
#15 Posted : 15 May 2010 11:34:03

Welcome aboard tf5600 & pio007. you will be ok here and in good company as has been said before there a lot of us in the the same boat (hope it dont capsize)LOL And hopefully admin will eventually get us all working on the same issue so there will be lots of help or comiserationsBigGrin
Pam's shipyard is closed for now no more room!

stewpot
#16 Posted : 15 May 2010 13:38:22

Groups: registriert, Registered

Hi to all I am new to this, I used to build speed boats years ago but now at my age of 63 Im realy going to enjoy doing this one, So I will be looking for plenty of tips.thanks stewpotBigGrin