Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Todayshorse and the Tamiya 1/35 Sherman Affair Options
Todayshorse
#1 Posted : 10 December 2012 00:18:39

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Greetings!

Thought id get started on this, well not yet ive research to do and paint to buy but id like to think ill be on my way come christmas, just got to add the finishing touches to the McLaren....work gets in the wayBigGrin

First ever Armour/military for me, i just fancied a go.

Probably one thats been done to death but i trust tamiya. Done plenty of their kits but never anything military. Should be an interesting journey BigGrin

Tomick
#2 Posted : 10 December 2012 09:05:44

Groups:

Good on you for having a go....The Sherman is a fav of mine..
SennaMentalMe
#3 Posted : 10 December 2012 13:09:55

Groups:

Yes, well done TH and good on ya for having a go!! BigGrin ThumpUp

I've been saying for ages that we need more armour/military type builds on here and finally we are starting to get a few come through - good stuff and I'll look forward to seeing how you get on with it?

I also like the Sherman, something about it that just appeals.

Kev BigGrin
Tomick
#4 Posted : 10 December 2012 13:15:42

Groups:

If a tank could be described as 'cute' and well formed, then this is it LOL
SennaMentalMe
#5 Posted : 10 December 2012 13:20:37

Groups:

I agree Tom, definitely the Marilyn Monroe of the tank world!! LOL Drool Love BigGrin

Kev BigGrin
Todayshorse
#6 Posted : 10 December 2012 13:48:22

Well the Sherman holds a little more to me than just the fact its a Sherman,

My grandfather was on Shermans (although i forget the regiment, i think an east yorkshire one) in 1944.

A few weeks after D-Day, advancing through France they spotted a Panzer with a tank commander 'combing his hair in a mirror' in the turret (as he described it) down the road in a village. It was at this point that they came under fire from the Germans in the ditches of the road and surrounding area. My Grandfathers tank was hit by a panzerfaust and exploded. With the tank on fire, he tried to get his mates out the tank and throw them over the top of the turret, during which one got his face shot off, but still he tumbled him off the tank and into the ditch at the side of the road. As he himself got out he was shot in the leg.

The crew now in the ditch, his tank was pushed out the way and he could hear the rest of his regiment machine gunning the germans in the ditches (and hearing them scream) as they tried to counter the attack....

Gruesome stuff, but once shipped back to the UK my Grandfather met my Grandmother, who was a nurse who looked after him BigGrin

He always had a huge picture on the wall near 'his' chair of a Sherman in cut-away form, which always caught my attention as a small child.

Fascinating stuff!
Tomick
#7 Posted : 10 December 2012 14:00:10

Groups:

Interesting stuff and brings home what these guys went through and deep respect to them.
jase
#8 Posted : 10 December 2012 22:56:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I am not sure I have ever heard the 'ronson lighter, composited with Marline Monroe before Blink
Good luck with your build you should not have much trouble with Tamiya a good choice for a first build. You need any help and advice your welcome to pm me.Cool
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
yamaska
#9 Posted : 11 December 2012 00:45:32

Bravo for staring this thread. Tamiya make great kits that are always a pleasure to build. I'm looking forward to following this.

John
arpurchase
#10 Posted : 11 December 2012 21:00:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin look forward to your build diary m8Cool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Wilfy the Sea Dog
#11 Posted : 13 December 2012 21:54:06

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looking forward to seeing this one progress.

Can never be enough Shermans on the go. BigGrin

Wilfy
yamaska
#12 Posted : 13 December 2012 23:15:37

I'm thinking of a Sherman for a diorama I'm toying with at the moment, so I'm definitely in to watch this one.
John
Todayshorse
#13 Posted : 26 December 2012 07:12:31

Ok chaps, heres a few of what I've accomplished today - yes i know its christmas but im not that fussed about it all, and Mrs Todayshorse is away looking after some relative or other whos not very well so im home alone, etc...Cool

After reading a few build 'blogs' on the 'net ive decided to follow several examples and build it straight out the box, im not too bothered about buying loads of detail things to enhance it, i just want to see what i can do with it 'as is'! I did toy with doing some wading trunks as i quite like the look but decided against it.

Ive done no detail painting as yet, other examples seem to follow this method, and ive found the build to be really easy and as usual for Tamiya, it went together really well. I shall prime and then flat black it before moving on to painting it properly BigGrin

No major or even minor disasters as i took it slow.

Ive gone for the one piece transmission cover as i like the look and although ive been looking through books and on the net for replicating a particular tank, i think ill just stick with whats in the box on this occasion.

I started yesterday evening, and completed it this far tonight, giving you some idea of how simple this kit is, but already its taking shape nicely. BigGrin

Ive left off all the tools and 'accessories' and will paint and add these once I've completed initial painting. Im not doing the Tank crew either.

From what ive read, not many shermans kept or appeared with the sand guard things.

Its tempting to go for that look as pictures i have seen with them fitted often have bits of it missing, so would i suppose create a nice 'used' look, but still undecided!!

The applique armour is probably not right for this tank either, despite it being in the box.....

Next step is making the aerial, fitting one or two parts, cleaning the whole thing up, then priming it.

arpurchase
#14 Posted : 26 December 2012 10:22:55

BigGrin looking good so far Cool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

SennaMentalMe
#15 Posted : 26 December 2012 13:57:28

Groups:

Superb job so far TH, well done, very neat and tidy!! I think you are right to just build it out of the box, since this is your first armour build, as you would only make your life more difficult than needs be if you started adding bits and also having to research what a particular tank looked like can be a nightmare sometimes. You can do all that when you have built one or two more and gotten a proper feel of the genre - but I warn you if you start going deeper into the history of tanks and things, you will be well and truly hooked. HaHa!!

Better just to build your first one with as little hassle as possible and that way you will be more likely to have fun doing it and wish to do more, so yes, build it however it makes you happy, don't worry about any inaccuracies it doesn't really matter, it is your model and your building it how you want it to be?? Enjoy the painting part for that is where it will all suddenly come alive!!

Thanks for sharing your work TH, much appreciated and looking forward to the next update. Cool BigGrin

Kev BigGrin
Todayshorse
#16 Posted : 26 December 2012 22:55:21

Further news BigGrin

Now primed and although i wanted to flat black it, it turned out id not bought any Huh Ive somehow ended up with two shades of Tamiya Olive drab instead! which is no problem as they can be utilised later.

Made the aerial and made a start on oil drums and jerry cans.

But back at work tomorrow Mellow
unhinged
#17 Posted : 27 December 2012 12:35:47

Groups:

Coming along nicely! I have a couple of Sherman variants in my stash. Will have to dig one out me thinks!
Todayshorse
#18 Posted : 28 December 2012 22:27:02

Finally got some Tamiya flat black, so gave her a shot of that, and once dried on went some olive drab. This is the lighter of the two Tamiya olive drabs, although the pic makes it look a little dark.

Next, ill 'future' her and get the decals on, finish building her with her guns and tracks and so on, then the good stuff begins which im really looking forward to !

Wilfy the Sea Dog
#19 Posted : 29 December 2012 00:26:23

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looking good, can't wait to see the fininshing touches & weathering.
Todayshorse
#20 Posted : 29 December 2012 18:23:33

Progress progress...its amazing what you can accomplish with a day or 2 off work :-)

As you can see, ive yet to do the tracks properly, they are just flat blacked and placed in position so far. After a coat of future i applied a 'gubbins' of 'tamiya weatherine master' (burnt red and oil stain) all over the tank to try and break up the newness of the finish. I smeared and brushed it all over the tank and rubbed it in with my fingers. Then another coat of future. Ive yet to do any dry brushing or any 'washes' and so far im quite happy with the look. Its still a tad too dark i feel, but i like the 'roughness' its given to the finish.

Next ill add all the accessories and other 'gubbins' then attempt to do some weathering proper! I do not as yet own an airbrush so please be kind to me :-)