Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Moulding Parts Using The DMC Casting Kit Options
arpurchase
#1 Posted : 15 December 2012 15:07:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Hi All
recently I purchased the DMC casting set [see Tool Suggestions] I got this to make some more deguasing cables for my Akagi build as there arnt enough provided to place the cables in there correct position at the rear of the hull.
Ok first thing to make is the mould box,there are several ways to do this use cardboard covered in selotape,lego or wood strip as I have done as long as its the right size for the job.The base I used is from the Akagi packaging and has a shiny surface so should stop the mould silicone mix soaking in.
After the mould box is made place the parts to be moulded in the box and mix up the required amount of silicone as recommended in the instructions and fill the mould box with the mix this then needs to be left for 24 hours to cure,when the mould is cured remove the parts from the mould and you will have a master mould to make as many of these parts as required
hope this is of help
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

arpurchase
#2 Posted : 15 December 2012 15:08:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

the mould box parts
arpurchase attached the following image(s):
PC150312.JPG
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

arpurchase
#3 Posted : 15 December 2012 15:09:54

the parts I want to mould
PC150313.JPG

arpurchase
#4 Posted : 15 December 2012 15:11:06

the mould box parts and the mould box ready for the silicone
PC150314.JPG
PC150315.JPG

arpurchase
#5 Posted : 15 December 2012 15:13:10

the mould box filled with silicone this is currently cureing I will post more as I progress to the casting stage
PC150316.JPG

SennaMentalMe
#6 Posted : 15 December 2012 20:09:27

Groups:

Looking good Andy, I am finding this very interesting and may look at doing something like it myself in the coming year. It will be interesting to see how easy you find it?? Thanks for posting the topic and I'll look forward to seeing what happens when the silicone has dried - good stuff Andy and well done!!

All the best,

Kev BigGrin
arpurchase
#7 Posted : 15 December 2012 20:41:04

BigGrin thanks for looking in Kev, I will say iv done some some moulding using Das before this so I am learning too doing it this way.The mixing can be done by weight or using the syringes to get the mixes right usally around 10:1. I think for larger pieces like an engine block the lego method would be a better idea, as once the mould has set the lego can be recycled into your next mould shape/size so its a better method
regards
AndyCool

Dontshootme
#8 Posted : 16 December 2012 08:58:16

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Andy,fascinating stuff going on here.Is there any sort of chemical reaction giving off heat at all while the silicone dries or is it cold cure?
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
arpurchase
#9 Posted : 16 December 2012 09:35:04

BigGrin Hi Rob
The Silicon rubber provided is the GE G1 1000 condensation cure rubber so it cures using the moisture that in the air,heating has no effect on the curing prossess so theres no fumes or nasty smells to cope with. The casting resin Axson F38 gives off some heat during the casting prossess but as far as iv read so far no smells again I presume there may be a smell of the epoxy/car filler type but nothing nasty.Hope this helps
regards
AndyCool

mark 2
#10 Posted : 16 December 2012 10:39:48

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Andy.
Thanks for posting this up as will help scratch builders greatly.
Once learnt how to do can open up a whole world of posabilities.
Will be great to see the end result BigGrin .
Best regards Andy.
Mark
arpurchase
#11 Posted : 16 December 2012 11:12:13

BigGrin Thanks for looking in and the interest Mark as you say it can open up a host of posebilitys
regards
AndyCool

arpurchase
#12 Posted : 16 December 2012 11:25:06

BigGrin Hi All
The mould has now cured and its turned out quite well I think,there was a little bleed under the parts so I found running a very sharp blade carefully round the edge of the part before removal made it possible to remove this.If you try to do this after the mould master is removed its not so easy as I found out but replacing the part and a bit of manipulation enabled me to get rid of the flash/bleed.
The moulding material as it is now is quite streachy so im going to leave it in the moulding box and cast with it in situ if this fails I can try it without.
A few more pics to follow on progress then later today I will try the casting in the mould and thanks all for the intrest shown makes things more worthwhile
regards
AndyCool

arpurchase
#13 Posted : 16 December 2012 11:30:10

the finished mould it looks a bit lumpy because I tried covering it and adding some weight but this hindered the curing and it didn't affect the casting sideBlink ah well u live and learn
PC160317.JPG

arpurchase
#14 Posted : 16 December 2012 11:32:47

the pictures here show the cast side of the mould,the 1st one show the bleed problem and the last after its been removed
PC160318.JPG
PC160319.JPG

arpurchase
#15 Posted : 16 December 2012 11:35:57

this pic shows the mould after the masters have been removed if you look closely its reproduced the profile exactly
PC160320.JPG

arpurchase
#16 Posted : 16 December 2012 15:06:10

BigGrin Hi All
Now we come to the mouldingBlink the resin is easy to mix at a ratio of 1:1 but they say in the instructions its a 1 hour cure but mine went off after about 5 mins max,good job I had filled the mould.
The resin sets fast and creates a lot of heat but no noticeable smell so swift hands are a good idea when filling your moulds.
After waiting for the resin to set I removed the pieces with some trepidation would they break or not,as it turned out they came away with a little bit of manipulation of the mould and they all came out fine apart from one which had 3 air bubbles present but there quite close together so I can use this piece for the smaller lengths.The results speak for themselves I think im quite pleased with the parts I made.
My thoughts on the kit,the instructions are clear and comprehensive although it recommends going online to get information on mould boxes and maybe a little more of the silicone for moulding the moulds would be a bonus but over all its a good way to get into moulding your own parts and will be a boon to scratch builders.All comments a questions are welcome as usual and I hope this may help any builders out there to take the plunge in doing this
regards
AndyCool

arpurchase
#17 Posted : 16 December 2012 15:07:12

the filled mould
PC160323.JPG

arpurchase
#18 Posted : 16 December 2012 15:08:56

the parts after removal
PC160326.JPG
PC160327.JPG
PC160328.JPG

arpurchase
#19 Posted : 16 December 2012 15:12:38

here are some close ups of the moulded parts ,you can see the air bubbles on the lower piece,the last pic shows the 3 moulded parts with the master part as a comparison for shape consistency over all a good match
PC160331.JPG
PC160335.JPG

Ger C
#20 Posted : 16 December 2012 17:28:16

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Andy,

Very interesting stuff,

Would this product be suitable to make more aircraft for the Akagi?