Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

'Most accurate ever' Victory model sold Options
Tomick
#1 Posted : 10 January 2013 10:48:18

Groups:

The 'most accurate ever' scale model of HMS Victory with Nelson and Hardy on deck, with an estimate of £30,000, sold for £20,000

http://www.dailymail.co....r-10-years-complete.html
Todayshorse
#2 Posted : 10 January 2013 12:03:51

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

You know, after looking at this story and occasionally browsing through the build diaries on here (ships aren't really my thing!) i just realised that ive actually been on this thing. Some years ago, but we had a tour of it with some Navy guy.

I do recall being astonished that the Navy guy told us that on one of the decks they kept cattle. Um, i guess quite understandable but at the time i couldn't really envisage a ship going to sea with cows, pigs and so on on board!!

Also impressed with the sheer quality of it, and how well i presume the Navy or whoever look after it. I think he also said that its in effect still in the Fleet and is the Flagship of some Sea Lord. Remarkable.
court orchard
#3 Posted : 10 January 2013 12:06:45

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Wow, there's a Benchmark for us all to aim for.
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
Plymouth57
#4 Posted : 11 January 2013 19:06:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I read down through the coments below this article and yes, there had to be one! Some killjoy asking if it was so accurate why were the flags flapping and yet the sails were completely limp?
The wind was blowing from bow to stern and the foresail was being pressed back against the foremast! Only a complete moron would have missed that....oh, well, there you go!!BigGrin

This beauty is virtually the same scale as my DelPrado, suddenly I feel very humble!Blushing

Many thanks Mr T

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
court orchard
#5 Posted : 11 January 2013 19:36:08

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Plymouth57 wrote:
I read down through the coments below this article and yes, there had to be one! Some killjoy asking if it was so accurate why were the flags flapping and yet the sails were completely limp?
The wind was blowing from bow to stern and the foresail was being pressed back against the foremast! Only a complete moron would have missed that....oh, well, there you go!!BigGrin

This beauty is virtually the same scale as my DelPrado, suddenly I feel very humble!Blushing

Many thanks Mr T

Robin

I hope you gave him negative feedback, like I did. What a stupid #*#@# and I bet he thought he was being really clever to spot that.
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,