Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Is anyone going to do a second build? Options
CaptnBirdseye
#1 Posted : 14 May 2010 20:44:50

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hello fellow boat builders!

As the title says,are any of you thinking of doing a second build while making the Victory? About 6 years ago, i purchased HM Brig Supply, which i failed to finish. To be fair, it WAS my first build, and unlike with this site here, i didn't know where to get help.

Now i've got the build bug again and subscribed, i have also been checking other sites, like 'modelshipworld.com', and they think having an easier second build going on at the same time is a good idea. This build, (Victory), WILL be challenging. My thoughts are that having a second build will:
a) keep me occupied and motivated while waiting for my next issue, and
b) give me more experience, which will come in handy later.

Lets face it, this is not a cheap build, so i want to be able to do it to the best of my ability. I am not talking about spending mega bucks on the second build, i mean Cornwall model boats have some caldercraft ones for sale from £50.

Money well spent if you ask me.

What do you guys (and gals) think?
Jamie
#2 Posted : 14 May 2010 20:56:33

Hi CaptnBirdseye and welcome aboard.

You may find this of interest Cool

I wish I were a glow worm,
A glow worm's never glum,
'Cause how can you be grumpy?
When the sun shines out ya bum!!
Dave
#3 Posted : 14 May 2010 20:57:12

Just ordered HMS Pickle from Cornwall Model Boats. She seems to be an ideal model with which to gain some experience. Although small and with a relatively simple rig, she has many of the features found on larger ship models: fully rigged carronades, copper cladding etc. She even has the appropriate black/yellow ochre paint scheme.
Also, her history make her an ideal companion for an HMS Victory model.
CaptnBirdseye
#4 Posted : 14 May 2010 21:01:40

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Dave,
Yeh, i thought about the Pickle, or even Ballahoo. Decisions...decisions...
Dave
#5 Posted : 14 May 2010 21:18:19

Estimated build time for Pickle is "between 4 and 6 months of evening work", so by that time you may have all the parts to lay Victorys keel!
andylangtree
#6 Posted : 14 May 2010 21:19:57

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Just got a very old model of the Cutty Sark of ebay, it dates from the 80`s and measures 1mtr in length. Surprising how the first model i did in wood, and to be honest was a complete disaster but i can actually follow the plans a little better, thats not to say this build wont be a disaster also, but going to give it my best shot and they do say practice makes perfect.
benny
#7 Posted : 14 May 2010 21:31:37

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

just ordered the NINA CAREVEL OF COLUMBUS it has now sunk in that its goin to take 5 months b4 we even start building the vic...need to keep outa the pub
cheers benny
jase
#8 Posted : 14 May 2010 21:54:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

victory is my second build, well third... no, hold on... just totting up, 6th build. and I am proud to say my wife is fully aware of all three of them!!Laugh
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
snowtiger
#9 Posted : 15 May 2010 00:38:04

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

M in between build is the 1/32 scale Lancaster Bomber (also a parts build) all wood and tin construction.....and also for a practise i have just got a 1/146 scale revel kit of the victory.....BigGrin
piot007
#10 Posted : 15 May 2010 10:48:08

Hi, i think that seen as tho this is my first build and im excited as hell. I dont thint i can wait more than 2 years to complete this one. Im itchin to get started as it is. So a cross section of the Victory with copper bottom will look nice next to my finnished main Victory. Its also an ideal place to start this new bug called modelling i just got seriously infected with.
i dont know what weapons will be used in ww3 but ww4 will be sticks and stones.
MadDogMcQ
#11 Posted : 17 May 2010 09:55:46

I've got another build going. To be honest, I bought this thing 4 years ago!! I kind of "fell out" with it during the planking stage and put it away out of sight for a few years :-)

Then when the Victory came on telly, it renewed my interest and I managed to finish the planking on the model I'd stowed away. It's not very good planking, but I've learned a lot from it...

My "Second" Build
Quentin Tarantino - Hallowed Be Thy Name!