Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

13 Pages <1234>»
Delboy271155 Sots Options
MWG
#21 Posted : 25 February 2013 21:58:58

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi Derek, very nice workBigGrin Good stuff Kind regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

delboy271155
#22 Posted : 25 February 2013 22:23:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

MWG wrote:
Hi Derek, very nice workBigGrin Good stuff Kind regards Mike

Cheers Mike,
Thanks for looking in.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Gandale
#23 Posted : 26 February 2013 22:43:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

delboy271155 wrote:
Gandale wrote:
Looking good Derek, looking good.. Love the barrels, can I ask where you got them and what size they are????

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,
Thanks for the nice comments, keeps the building buzz going. As for the barrels I purchased them of ebay, they are 00 model railway scale which I think is about 1:72, not exact but pretty close for a small item. If you are interested look for the following:

Item number:400395571682

I purchased these very recently at a cost of £2.00 + £1.20p+p for which you get 12 barrels in 3 sets of 4. They are only connected by a very small piece of plastic, so could be separated if required.

Happy building,
Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Thanks for the info Derek, now off to have a little look on Ebay.... Keep the good work going...

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#24 Posted : 02 March 2013 21:18:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Well here`s one of the interesting updates, Scared,PlankingLOL LOL

Just completed the first four upper rows, couple of broken planks even with a good hot soak (I blame the woodFlapper ).

Next job row 5 with tapered end and garboard Planks.Blink

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
IMG_0206_zps6b09f05d.jpg
IMG_0205_zpsc1bcc32a.jpg
IMG_0204_zps46a528d1.jpg

Gandale
#25 Posted : 02 March 2013 22:28:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Nice start to the planking Derek, hope you enjoy the experience as much as I have been.... Tapering, now that is something I think you will quickly adapt to. Best way for me was to mark where the taper starts, use a Davids plane to taper along the length, finishing with course sandpaper on a solid sanding block. Finally, bevel the joining edge of the plank, test fit then glue into position... This technique has been very successful for me so hope it works for you.... Keep the good work going and post pics of your progress, look forward to seeing more...BigGrin BigGrin

One other thing, I find steaming the planks rather than soaking give a quicker and better result.... try it using steam from the kettle....

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#26 Posted : 02 March 2013 23:04:25

Gandale wrote:
Nice start to the planking Derek, hope you enjoy the experience as much as I have been.... Tapering, now that is something I think you will quickly adapt to. Best way for me was to mark where the taper starts, use a Davids plane to taper along the length, finishing with course sandpaper on a solid sanding block. Finally, bevel the joining edge of the plank, test fit then glue into position... This technique has been very successful for me so hope it works for you.... Keep the good work going and post pics of your progress, look forward to seeing more...BigGrin BigGrin

One other thing, I find steaming the planks rather than soaking give a quicker and better result.... try it using steam from the kettle....

Regards

Alan

Hi AlanBigGrin

Thanks for the advise, when you taper the planks I know you must keep at least half the width of the plank, but, what determines where the taper starts? That bit seems a bit hit and miss to me at the moment, so is there a rule as such or is it where the plank sits comfortably?

Thanks for looking in
Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Gandale
#27 Posted : 02 March 2013 23:17:30

Hi Derek, I agree with you when you say you only taper down to half the plank width. Everything I have seen and read on the subject says this is one of the golden rules of planking however, being my first build I decided to stick to the mag instructions and Mr T's official build, there the instructions say to taper to a point on a lot of the planks, this I did and it worked out quite well...

Where do you start the taper.... for me, I lay the plank along the straight part of the hull and see where the plank wants to go... where it wants to climb on top of the already fixed plank is where the taper starts, mark that point on the plank. If the instruction says taper to a point then taper from your mark all the way to the end. Smooth the taper with the course sanding block and bevel the joining edge....

Where the final skin is being applied I am seriously thinking of using droppers, stealers etc where the rule of tapering to only half the plank width would definately apply....

Hope this helps, it worked for me and I have found by following the mag I have gained knowledge and experience, plus remember at the end of the day your first plank layer will not be seen, use it as practice.... Good luck...

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#28 Posted : 02 March 2013 23:24:35

Gandale wrote:
Hi Derek, I agree with you when you say you only taper down to half the plank width. Everything I have seen and read on the subject says this is one of the golden rules of planking however, being my first build I decided to stick to the mag instructions and Mr T's official build, there the instructions say to taper to a point on a lot of the planks, this I did and it worked out quite well...

Where do you start the taper.... for me, I lay the plank along the straight part of the hull and see where the plank wants to go... where it wants to climb on top of the already fixed plank is where the taper starts, mark that point on the plank. If the instruction says taper to a point then taper from your mark all the way to the end. Smooth the taper with the course sanding block and bevel the joining edge....

Where the final skin is being applied I am seriously thinking of using droppers, stealers etc where the rule of tapering to only half the plank width would definately apply....

Hope this helps, it worked for me and I have found by following the mag I have gained knowledge and experience, plus remember at the end of the day your first plank layer will not be seen, use it as practice.... Good luck...

Regards

Alan

Cheers mate,
Along my train of thought, thanks for reply.

Regards
Delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#29 Posted : 03 March 2013 18:08:33

Well Hi,
Planking 5th row, was a bit concerned about this one but took the bull by the horns and here`s the result:

Will update when a good bit of planking done BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
IMG_0209_zps886a4a9d.jpg

delboy271155
#30 Posted : 07 March 2013 12:33:59

Hi All,
Was going to update a bit later, but thought I might post this to get ideas on the garboard planking.

The following pics are of a dry fit of two rows of planks ( Yep, know the ship has two sides LOL )so the very ends at the bow are not fully in place as will need to band them down with maybe tape and/or elastic bands till they set when glued.

Before I fit and glue, any ideas of anything wrong as don`t want to have to remove once stuck.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
sots garboard bow.jpg
sots garboard stern.jpg

Admiral Anti Spiral
#31 Posted : 07 March 2013 15:29:42

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looking good derek, looks perfectly fine to me :)
Processing - Progressing

Previous builds: HMS Victory
Current build: HMS Sovereign of the seas
delboy271155
#32 Posted : 07 March 2013 17:52:46

Admiral Anti Spiral wrote:
Looking good derek, looks perfectly fine to me :)

Hi Admiral
Many thanks for looking and your comments.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Gandale
#33 Posted : 07 March 2013 22:05:43

Derek, have to say that since the hull is going to have a second skin I didn't find any problems at all in using the supplied pins as long as I pre drilled the pin holes.... Pins are removed when everything is set so sanding shouldn't be a problem... Think I would only use map pins on single skinned hulls..... Am sure you will decide for yourself the best option.....

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#34 Posted : 08 March 2013 15:10:05

Gandale wrote:
Derek, have to say that since the hull is going to have a second skin I didn't find any problems at all in using the supplied pins as long as I pre drilled the pin holes.... Pins are removed when everything is set so sanding shouldn't be a problem... Think I would only use map pins on single skinned hulls..... Am sure you will decide for yourself the best option.....

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,
I`m sticking with the supplied pins/ pre drilled holes it seems to be working ok.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#35 Posted : 14 March 2013 12:53:53

Hi All,
Having had a dry run at the garboard planking I went for the real thing, bit of bending here ,bit of twisting there and that got me in the seatCrying Crying Crying .
Suffering with a back muscle spasm, so on the sick at the moment, may think I got lots of modelling time but can`t sit for long as I seize upCrying Crying Crying .

Well this is the progress all be it a bit on the slow side:

Pics 1-3

It was at this point that Cursing DISASTERCursing struck.

Went to move the model, back spasm`d, model moved and snapped the top off a rib. Don`t know what made me cry more "The Pain" or "The Breakage".

Having regained my composure, found damage not to bad and stuck offending piece back in place and clamped overnight.

Pic 4

May have to reinforce it a bit when i get to work in that area but will sort that when it comes along.

Decided to take on something a bit more leisurely, to that end done some of the Launch enhancements and painted some cannon parts.

Pic 5-6

Well that`s all for now, got to go take pills and potions, been sat here to long again Crying.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
IMG_0230_zps361f0914.jpg
IMG_0231_zpsdbcfda57.jpg
IMG_0232_zps9fbf0f2e.jpg
IMG_0229_zps30f21435.jpg
IMG_0228_zpsfb418135.jpg
IMG_0227_zpsf26c17d6.jpg

Martyn Ingram
#36 Posted : 14 March 2013 21:14:53

BigGrin Hi Derek nice work hope back is ok regards Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
delboy271155
#37 Posted : 14 March 2013 21:35:45

Martyn Ingram wrote:
BigGrin Hi Derek nice work hope back is ok regards Martyn

Hi Martyn,
Thanks for looking in, am really enjoying the build. As for the back, not enjoying that at all, off to the doc`s tomorrow for some stronger med`s and more time off workCrying Crying Crying .

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Gandale
#38 Posted : 14 March 2013 22:41:46

Hi Derek, am so sorry to hear about you mishap, first you do your back in then you go do a rib..Blushing Blushing ..... really hope your back and your rib come back to full fitness real soon.... Those ribs are real delicate until they are planked, try to treat mine with kid gloves..... good luck bud....

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#39 Posted : 14 March 2013 23:51:57

Gandale wrote:
Hi Derek, am so sorry to hear about you mishap, first you do your back in then you go do a rib..Blushing Blushing ..... really hope your back and your rib come back to full fitness real soon.... Those ribs are real delicate until they are planked, try to treat mine with kid gloves..... good luck bud....

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan
Rib appears ok BigGrin , off to the Doc`s tomorrow about the backCrying .

Thanks for looking in

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Hans
#40 Posted : 15 March 2013 07:22:33

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good job there Derek. Hope all goes well at the Doc. Tell him it is of vital importance to be well as you need to continue with your excellent build.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section