Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
launch Options
budgie
#1 Posted : 14 May 2010 21:10:14

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Blink not asked silly question for a while so here goes

Confused while putting the ribs on the jig for the launch starting to worry bout planking more so in tapering noticed in biuld diary bout 14 planks used
recieved 21 planks Crying are the xtras for cockups expected to be made by us newbies or are the xtra planks to be kept for later in build
jase
#2 Posted : 14 May 2010 22:03:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

good question. there has not been much in the way of excess material so far so i would take your time and try not to make a leaky version first off.

admin your answer please?
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
snowtiger
#3 Posted : 15 May 2010 00:50:12

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I think we were sent extra planks just in case we cocked it up first time .......if not keep them ....they will come in handy some where along the line...never look a gift horse in the mouth .......coz it's breath is rather smelly...LOL LOL LOL
dedworthdog
#4 Posted : 15 May 2010 08:52:28

I had 3 of the supports for the jig. Even I couldn't cock that upBlushing Maybe they use a slack handful as a measurementLaugh
Follow my build to learn how to make firewood

budgie
#5 Posted : 15 May 2010 10:17:00

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Blushing looking at pictures of people who have planked launch already no rear view
so silly q time do we plank from bow up to transom not round it
do we add plank to transom seperately or no planks at all
Blushing Blushing hope i am not the only one pondering over thisBlushing
Tomick
#6 Posted : 15 May 2010 14:09:21

Groups:

Hi budgie,

You should always retain any off-cuts left over, there are a couple of spare planks, and off-cuts also come into play later on, (not much more than a planks worth), and be careful not to confuse size of planks for the task being completed.

You don't plank across the Transom, only bow to edge of transom.
john burgess
#7 Posted : 16 May 2010 06:50:59

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I noticed on tomicks build that the launch planking was going to be a bit tricky and with me being a newbie ill prob cock it up.
If you dont suceed at first go to the pub
jase
#8 Posted : 16 May 2010 10:19:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

as much as i want to get stuck into the planking i am wating for the magazine so i can see the tips and the tool kit as i dont have a plank bender
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Mike Turpin
#9 Posted : 16 May 2010 11:03:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month

jase wrote:
as much as i want to get stuck into the planking i am wating for the magazine so i can see the tips and the tool kit as i dont have a plank bender

Hi Jase

Talking of plank benders have a look at #83 onwards for alternatives to what I think is an expensive tool from Amati. In Tools For The Job

Mike T
snowtiger
#10 Posted : 16 May 2010 13:57:43

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I think i would be better off if i go with your soldering iron idea Mike T....some of us may build only one wooden ship....(this one)....which would mean the eletric plank bender would have very limited use...BigGrin

..John....
budgie
#11 Posted : 16 May 2010 20:41:40

BigGrin thanks for reply Tomick

Blushing Confused any chance of an idiot guide to planking
step by step if poss
ive been reading up on it & looking at pictures & ive convinced myself that its more difficult than it probably actualy is Confused Crying

Macmedal
#12 Posted : 17 May 2010 09:50:00

Here are some pictures of the launch at Portsmouth note the internal colour differences to the magazine model.

Macmedal attached the following image(s):
nick2.jpg
Mike Turpin
#13 Posted : 17 May 2010 09:53:15

The Victory website provides guidance for the colours to use and states that the thwarts and sternsheets should be in a natural varnish, which is at odds with what they have done in your pictures!

I think ships boats were finished in a variety of colours depending upon what the boatswain had in his stores or what could be obtained from the dockyard.

I shall probably use yellow ochre, black and white as shown in the magazine but may well leave the thwarts and sternsheets in varnish.

It will be interesting to see how our motley crew respond to this challenge!BigGrin

I haven't started my planking yet so will wait and see what the next set of instructions bring with regards to painting. However the question is easily answered by the natural finish brigade!

Mike T
Macmedal
#14 Posted : 17 May 2010 09:54:07

Another
nick1a.jpg
Mike Turpin
#15 Posted : 17 May 2010 10:14:01

It also occurs to me to ask whether you have a bows on photo of the hull of the launch which might show us how the planking is arranged/shaped ?

Mike T
jonny7england
#16 Posted : 17 May 2010 11:00:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

budgie wrote:
BigGrin thanks for reply Tomick

Blushing Confused any chance of an idiot guide to planking
step by step if poss
ive been reading up on it & looking at pictures & ive convinced myself that its more difficult than it probably actualy is Confused Crying

budgie, don't put yourself down by thinking that the task of planking will be too difficult, of course there is some difficulty with planking, but try practice on some spare planking. I use a soldering iron because I can easily work planks to the shape I want, I do not get my planking perfect every time, perhaps one out of three tries, but with a little patience and keeping an eye on the amount of pressure you apply to the plank during the process of shaping will go a long way. As I mentioned before, try obtaining some strakes from you local model shop and practising bending them to various degrees, getting a feel of the material and their tolerances. As they say, practice makes perfect, I'm not perfect at planking, and I dare guess that you will also get further good advice from our other shipmates regarding the subject. Good luck on you build mate..BigGrin
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
Macmedal
#17 Posted : 17 May 2010 14:34:58

No I do not hve a bows on photo.However this photo is taken from the oficial HMS Victory website.

launch.jpg
Mike Turpin
#18 Posted : 17 May 2010 16:16:04

True I forgot that one, but the plank lines don't stand out very well Heigh Ho

Mike T
Capt Stedders
#19 Posted : 17 May 2010 16:42:18

Does anyone know what woods were utilised in the making of the real launch?

Edit:

@ Mike T
This pic may help

Whilst it isn't the launch, it does give a (slightly) better idea of the way that the planks meet at the bow.
Schnellboots on back burner

Tools.

Mike Turpin
#20 Posted : 17 May 2010 16:57:23

Hi Stedders

Another picture I have looked at, what we really need are some plans drawn to a specification. I will keep looking.

To answer your question from wikipedia:

Keel and frames are traditionally made of hardwoods such as oak while planking can be oak but is more often softwood such as pine, larch or cedar.

The Georgian boatyards would have had oak and pine from the Baltic for certain.

Mike T