Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Can a newbe realy do this? Options
chociebex
#1 Posted : 15 May 2010 14:12:57

Groups:

Hi all, I'm new to this forum so if this is in the wrong place don't shout at me!! LOL LOLLOL

ok question..... I've been keeping an eye on this series since the start and I can tell that there is a mixed bunch of folks on here with varied exp. I been thinking about getting this for my husband to occupy his mind whislt he's at home recouperating (Injured in Afghanistan) but it seems quite complicated to me so can a newbe (as in hes never done a model in his life!) really do this or should I look at somthing else Confused Confused Confused

Sorry for the long question!!!!!

Bex
cliffweld
#2 Posted : 15 May 2010 14:26:31

Groups: Registered

It doesn't matter about experience as long as you take your time,use this forum for hints tips and to answer any queries and also the age old saying 'measure twice and cut once',your husband will enjoy the build and hopefully make new friends as well,good luck cliff.
CURRENT BUILDS
HMS HALIFAX
HMS BOUNTY
LYDIA EVA(STEAM DRIFTER)
MANTUA COASTAL CANON
COREL VICTORY CROSS SECTION
TAMIYA 1/35 MATILDA MK 2
HACHETTE TIGER TANK
DRAGON 1/35 TIGER TANK
ronnie read
#3 Posted : 15 May 2010 14:26:51

hi chociebex and welcome

first off i hope he was not hurt to bad as i was injured in iraq and i am doing this model so i hope it is not to hard lol
Horatio's Eyepatch
#4 Posted : 15 May 2010 14:51:20

Hi Chociebox.

There's loads of first timers registered as attempting this illustrious model of Victory and your other half will be in mighty fine company as we cuss and cudgel our way to completion over the next few years!!

I really am in awe of the likes of your fella doing what he's done and paying a heavy price for it. He is a true hero and I hope that on his return, he is given the welcome home that he and lads like him truly deserve.
snowtiger
#5 Posted : 15 May 2010 16:25:54

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Horatio's Eyepatch wrote:
Hi Chociebox.

There's loads of first timers registered as attempting this illustrious model of Victory and your other half will be in mighty fine company as we cuss and cudgel our way to completion over the next few years!!

I really am in awe of the likes of your fella doing what he's done and paying a heavy price for it. He is a true hero and I hope that on his return, he is given the welcome home that he and lads like him truly deserve.

I am with horatio on that as being a ex soldier......as i'm new to wooden ship building and at the moment having a spine injury ....the main thing is keeping your busy with something to do...and the victory is just the thing ....there is a step by step guide in the magazine with plenty of background information......and also plenty of help from the guys on here....so yep highly reccomended...my/our best to you and yours...

John...
benny
#6 Posted : 15 May 2010 17:12:28

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

hi bex...i am new to this aswell.but i am looking at it as a challenge,all you need is patients, an eye for detail and the willingness to succeed
cheers benny
Tiswas
#7 Posted : 15 May 2010 17:26:16

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

snowtiger wrote:
Horatio's Eyepatch wrote:
Hi Chociebox.

I am with horatio on that as being a ex soldier......as i'm new to wooden ship building and at the moment having a spine injury ....the main thing is keeping your busy with something to do...and the victory is just the thing ....there is a step by step guide in the magazine with plenty of background information......and also plenty of help from the guys on here....so yep highly reccomended...my/our best to you and yours...

John...

Another ex-soldier here and I agree with what has been said beforehand. A speedy recovery to your husband Chociebox and good luck for the future.
Most of us are attempting this build as our introduction to ship building, not having made any before. I'm sure it will be good therapy whilst your husband recooperates, if he is the patient type then he should not find it too demanding. All the best to you both,
TIS
jonny7england
#8 Posted : 15 May 2010 17:47:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Chociebox. the Victory would be the perfect hobby for your husband to take on, it would take patience, time, care and attention and a pleasure to build, we all started somewhere, and as you can see from this forum, there are a good few first timers on here, and all a great bunch of people, plenty of good advice just a click away...Highly recommended.ThumpUp
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
philjaps1
#9 Posted : 15 May 2010 17:49:35

Groups:

Hi Bex, I was injured my self back in ’91 in Iraq so I can in some way relate to your husband, he’s one of the many “un-sung heroes” of the conflict and I wish him a speedy recovery.

As for this model, I would say that yes, it is the perfect choice to keep him occupied, the instructions in the magazine are the clearest I’ve seen, I’m not saying that it’s easy but here on this forum there is a wealth of experienced builders who will be more than happy to help him out any way they can.

Phil
Son of Bulwark
#10 Posted : 15 May 2010 18:11:13

Groups:

Hi chociebex BigGrin

I'm regested blind, Yes Blind!. My sight is very poor but with a good magnifying glass and a lot of time even I can do it! so it shouldn't be a problem and it will help you husband with his recuperation. As this is in part form it's not as hard as getting a box with all the part in it.
Make his day and go for it!. He'll love you! Love
karl1113
#11 Posted : 15 May 2010 21:19:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

hi chociebox, karl calling,go on get it for him,he'll love you more for it,some free tools are given out as well, and a magnifying glass,so you can check the bill.Cool give him our kindest regards and as the good lord nelson said "england expects". And by jove he has done his duty beyond the call.now for the serious stuff,glue at the ready,scalpel sharpened, and away we go. goodluck and godbless.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
Jamie
#12 Posted : 15 May 2010 22:13:48

Hi chociebex and welcome to the mad hatters tea party LOL

I can only echo what everyone else has said. I think it would be a perfect hobby for your hubby and you to get involved with.

God speed in his recovery and god bless you both for we all know that he wouldn't be able to do his job without the full support of you and he'll need that more than ever now.

Fingers crossed we'll be hearing from you both soon ThumpUp

I wish I were a glow worm,
A glow worm's never glum,
'Cause how can you be grumpy?
When the sun shines out ya bum!!
chociebex
#13 Posted : 15 May 2010 22:27:16

Groups:

Hi everyone, first of all a really big Thank You for all of your kind comments he is and always will be my hero!!!! Love Drool Love I can’t really say to much but he’s home and for me that’s the main thing BigGrin I think he’ll enjoy doing this as he likes watching hornblower and sharpe. I’ll get it from the local though as there seems to be problems with the subscription service thanks again and I’ll try not to be to annoying with future questions LOL LOL LOL

Bex
snowtiger
#14 Posted : 16 May 2010 00:26:24

chociebex.....if you have a problem with subscription ....then give admin a shout on here....they will sort everything out for you .....BigGrin ....

snowtiger
#15 Posted : 16 May 2010 00:30:01

Admin ....can you help out chociebex out with a subscription ....all of us ex-vets ....need to know....all behind me shout ...AYE!!BigGrin
doremi495
#16 Posted : 16 May 2010 10:20:59

snowtiger wrote:
chociebex.....if you have a problem with subscription ....then give admin a shout on here....they will sort everything out for you .....BigGrin ....

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL I've been trying to get Admin to sort out subscription problems for a few weeks now.
Dave H

Current builds :- Hachette 1/16 Tiger Tank
H.M.S Victory, Santisima Trinidad (Section), 1/8 scale Aston Martin DB5, 1/8 scale McLaren, YNWA
jase
#17 Posted : 16 May 2010 10:26:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I surgest you get the subscription as you get a load of free tools that he will need i have had no problems and admin seem ok to me

good look
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Tiswas
#18 Posted : 16 May 2010 18:44:08

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

snowtiger wrote:
Admin ....can you help out chociebex out with a subscription ....all of us ex-vets ....need to know....all behind me shout ...AYE!!BigGrin

AYE!AYE!
Get in touch with admin, as has been mentioned, there are freebies to be had which will be of use in the build. True, there are some delays but nothing serious that cannot be sorted by a phone call to CS (customer services), you'll find them very helpful.
It makes sense.
TIS
Jamie
#19 Posted : 16 May 2010 19:21:09

snowtiger wrote:

AYE ThumpUp

I wish I were a glow worm,
A glow worm's never glum,
'Cause how can you be grumpy?
When the sun shines out ya bum!!
philjaps1
#20 Posted : 16 May 2010 20:16:42

Groups:

AYE!ThumpUp