Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages 123>»
Kit Review Trumpeter 1:200 Bismarck Options
jase
#1 Posted : 31 January 2013 16:24:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Ok so this is a review of the recently released 1:200 scale Bismarck from From Trumpeter.

First impression:
Its BIG!! and the grammar is poor!! the box description is "German Bismarck Battleship" The box art is of Bismarck in action although there is no Hood in the picture!

Whats in the Box:
The box comes nicely packed with smaller boxes. the main box is sealed with quality labels telling you to reject the box if they are broken! also included is a decal sheet a paint guid and the instructions. The decals are of various flags and crosses for the deck and the ships plains, they look to be good quality, however I would have preferred a stencil for the decks personally. The paint sheet gives you one option which is Bismarck in her Baltic oculars prior to her brake out attempt into the North Atlantic. I would recommend some further research to get a better understanding of the paint arrangements especially as the false bow and stern waves are not correct. The instruction book is really good 48 pages of very clear instructions. I like the recommended build sequence which does lots of sub assembles in a logical sequence.

The hull:
The hull comes as a two piece construction plus propeller shafts and rudders. It is nicely detailed but will need a little work to clean up. Also there are some sink points visible, i guess from the double slide technology used to manufacture the hull' they are very slight but will show under paint. Also the Bismarck was welded hull construction and some of the weld seams were very visible, it would have been nice at this scale to have had them - but that is really nit picking.

Deck:
The main deck is a single part, and very nice it is too with planking in relief and some really nice detail like sunken steps. one obvious issue is around the anchor chain area that appears to be shown as steel rather than planking as it should be. planks will need to be scribed on or replacement wooden decking used from the upgrade market. there is no visible need for clean up at all.

Box A
Box A contains 12 Grey plastic Sprue mostly separately wrapped and delicate parts such as flag staffs are well protected, overall i was really happy with the care taken in packing the kit. The detail of the parts is very good and very accurate. All the various floor textures wood steel etc are nicely captured the lockers have hinges and handles and it all looks very nice. there are some issues around injection marks but nothing massively intrusive. there are some opportunities for the after market boys too, some of the walkways could easily be replaced with etch to capture the perforation that can not be done in plastic. The aircraft hangers have the internal ribs so it will be possible to show them open - unfortunately the kit comes with two aircraft but neither have a folded wing option. Finally at the bottom of the box is a name plate that simply says Bismarck, it is of set to the right I guess to allow a coat of arms to be added - but one is not included? also a display stand is not included.

Box b
This box contains the plastic propellers wich are very nice, 4 clear sprue that contain parts for the searck lights several peices of superstructure the four gun turret tops and and 12 sheets of etch. All the parts are very nice with full rivet detail on the turrets which are enhanced in the build with etch. 4 of the etch sheets contain railing. there is enough to go around the hull but I doubt there is enough for the superstructure. there are a number of etched laders of various types, although there are some mouded plastic ones also that could be replaced with more brass. also there are some walkways parts for the cranes, secoundry armermant parts and the mesh recivers. ther are cover plates for the aircraft catapult so you have option of open and closed as wel as some lovely depth charge cradles. over all i am impressed with the level of etch detail included.

Box C
8 sprues containing the secondary armament are in box C. Again it all looks fairly acuret without scrutinising drawings. all the barrels are plastic and no blast bags are included, but i know this has already been adressed by the aftermarket suppliers.

Box D
This contains 6 sprue. 2 have a large colection of small parts and the other 4 have the aircraft. The detail on the aircraft is quite superb with all the panel lines in relief and etched cockpits and even the rudders on the floats!

Box E
This is actually a Kit in its own right. I did not appreciate when i purchased this kit that the bonus main gun was in addition to the 4 supplied. I had assumed it was part of the overall build. in-fact this is a stand alone kit! In the box you get a sheet of etch the chain for the anchors?! two turned metal barrels 1 clear sprue a clear turret top and two sprue of grey plastic parts to build the inter of the gun emplacement along with a separate set of instructions. To be honest the detail is not to the standard of the rest of the kit with a lot of injection marks and lack of surface texture. also there is no painting guid which rather elves you looking at black and while pics on the internet wondering what the colour could be!! - but a nice little extra that presents some good opportunities for display.

Box F
Finaly the last box. this box has has the parts for the main guns across 4 sprue which includes very nice solid plastic barrels! The large superstructure parts are also in this box. as with the rest of the kit there is some very good and accurate detail as well as some great opportunities for additional etch for scuttles and to give the option of opening doors etc.

Summery
This is a truly loverly kit not just big in size but big in accuracy and detail. there is still plenty of scope to ad detail but just building the kit straight from the box will give you something special! The paint reference could be better and it would be nice to have a stand but other than that it is essentially a kit a can only recommend. The box states from 14 and up for age. In terms of the build there is nothing complicated as long as you have some experience with etch.
Is it value for money? well the RRP is £199 but some are discounting typically by 10%. If you consider the cost of buying a 1:350 scale bismarck and then the etch upgrade you would be paying a good £100 when you consider the shear size the huge amount of detail and that you get two kits i think its a a bargain not to be missed - which incidentally are the exact words i used to my wife cos there is no way i was sneaking that one in!!!

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
court orchard
#2 Posted : 31 January 2013 17:01:15

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking forward to that, but don't make it too bad, 'cos it's too late for meLOL.
P.S. I saw that, Pontos are promising main gun barrels with internal riflingBlink
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
jase
#3 Posted : 31 January 2013 23:00:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

hope that reassures you that you made a good buy? I am hoping somebody does a rigging set for her!!
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
court orchard
#4 Posted : 01 February 2013 15:27:30

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

jase wrote:
hope that reassures you that you made a good buy? I am hoping somebody does a rigging set for her!!

Great Review JaseThumpUp
Even a rigging diagram would be good.
I believe the KA DX set has PE for showing the Arado Floatplanes with folded wings.

Andy

Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
jase
#5 Posted : 01 February 2013 17:58:50

court orchard wrote:
jase wrote:

Great Review JaseThumpUp
Even a rigging diagram would be good.
I believe the KA DX set has PE for showing the Arado Floatplanes with folded wings.

I have just orderd the full KA DX set I am expecting it in a week or so and will add a kit review once i have it.

That brings me to a thought.. How would you like to help me create a list of aftermarket upgrade sets on this thread, so that everybody can see the various options available?

I know we have both been looking but others serching the web will find this thread too - I propose we could make a list of products by manufacturer. Ill start compiling tonightBigGrin

If anybody would like to add to the list they are more than welcome.Cool

J
-Mark Twain
court orchard
#6 Posted : 01 February 2013 18:18:05

Sounds like a great idea, Jase. It is a bit of a trawling process tracking these things down. I only found the brass props by accident on EBay and they were gone in a few hours.
It might be useful to have a reference list too, maybe?
I've just bought 'German Capital Ships' which has nearly 100 photos of Bismarck amongst all the other Ships.
Andy

Tomick
#7 Posted : 01 February 2013 18:56:00

Groups:

G-Factor make the props and Sprue Bros ship to the UK..

http://store.spruebrothe...product_p/gfm120002.htm

arpurchase
#8 Posted : 01 February 2013 20:33:03

BigGrin Hi Jase
very nice review of a mega kit il look forward to C 0 and your build diary's
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

jase
#9 Posted : 01 February 2013 21:05:45

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi Jase
regards
AndyCool

may have to wait a little i want to get my King tiger and HMS Hood done first but i will be doing one
-Mark Twain
jase
#10 Posted : 01 February 2013 21:06:53

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi Jase
regards
AndyCool

may have to wait a little i want to get my King tiger and HMS Hood done first but i will be doing one
-Mark Twain
jase
#11 Posted : 01 February 2013 21:08:47

Ok see link below for buying the Bismarck kit at 20% off!! and the KA upgrade kits. Currently they have the the individual kits but they will have the full pack in by mid Feb

http://www.boystownmilit...kSearch=bismarck+1%3A200
-Mark Twain
jase
#12 Posted : 01 February 2013 21:11:52

Blue Ridge do full swastika decals not found UK supplier yet but this link gets you to a site who will ship to UK

http://www.freetimehobbies.com/brm-d-20001.aspx
-Mark Twain
jase
#13 Posted : 01 February 2013 21:13:53

White ensign models are working on an etch upgrade set or range of sets so worth watching this site. they also sell some books and plans for the Bismarck and paint matched to chips for the Bismarck.

https://www.whiteensignmodels.com
-Mark Twain
jase
#14 Posted : 01 February 2013 21:20:06

Also worth watching this site as they are due to release a large upgrade set of etch brass barels resin and wood decks to rival KA's set

http://pontosmodel.com/index.htm
-Mark Twain
jase
#15 Posted : 01 February 2013 21:24:38

This link has already been shared but will take you to 1:200 figures including hitler if you want to recrate his ships tour. also they supply ArtWoks chain and the forthcoming super detail set

http://www.freetimehobbies.com/NSA350503-2.aspx
-Mark Twain
jase
#16 Posted : 01 February 2013 21:29:12

this link will take you to RB Models set of turned metal guns

http://www.bnamodelworld...683c14253f3198a4c62daf9

more as i find them

J
-Mark Twain
court orchard
#17 Posted : 01 February 2013 22:09:01

Eduard have 2 sets of PE, parts 1 & 3 available already.
One for the Lifeboats.
http://www.eduard.com/store/Edu...a7e742bced339498a861bb07
and a set of Chain Bar Railings
http://www.eduard.com/store/Edu...-bar-railings-1-200.html
Andy

Warthog
#18 Posted : 01 February 2013 22:56:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

That box is HUGE!!! Good luck anyone trying to hide that from the Mrs!!! lol
Tomick
#19 Posted : 02 February 2013 02:49:35

Groups:

Unsure if this wooden deck set

http://www.axels-modellb...mpeter-03702::7841.html

is any better than the MK1 wooden deck set
jase
#20 Posted : 02 February 2013 06:45:29

court orchard wrote:
Eduard have 2 sets of PE, parts 1 & 3 available already.
One for the Lifeboats.
http://www.eduard.com/store/Edu...a7e742bced339498a861bb07
and a set of Chain Bar Railings
http://www.eduard.com/store/Edu...-bar-railings-1-200.html

That railing set is stunning much better than the one supplied and have the riveted footings think that's a must have!!!
-Mark Twain