Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

" HERES ONE I FORGOT ABOUT " Options
john burgess
#1 Posted : 17 May 2010 10:01:33

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

I dug this out of my loft this morning completely forgot about it, but now seeing it again i remember why i didnt finish it, could not be arsed with going to the trouble of bending the matches to fit the underside.

Just wondering can you buy planking or does anybody know how to bend matches?????????
john burgess attached the following image(s):
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG
008.JPG
009.JPG
If you dont suceed at first go to the pub
Mark
#2 Posted : 17 May 2010 10:58:21

It's a really neat job so far. Are you going to carry on with it now ?
john burgess
#3 Posted : 17 May 2010 11:01:30

Yeah am thinking it will be a fill in while im waiting for the rest of the keel parts of the victory.
philjaps1
#4 Posted : 17 May 2010 11:05:03

Groups:

Hi, yes you can buy planking, cornwallmodelboats.com is a good place to get them from. They have a wide range of stock and their customer service is excellent.

Nice neat job on the model

Phil
jonny7england
#5 Posted : 17 May 2010 11:26:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice neat job John...like it very much.ThumpUp
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
john burgess
#6 Posted : 17 May 2010 11:31:03

Cheers Johnny will give me something to do while im waiting for keel parts, if i could bend matches i would finish the underside with them but might go for some planking would be a lot quicker.
jonny7england
#7 Posted : 17 May 2010 11:35:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

As for bending wood...soak the wood well in a tray, make sure that the wood you want to bend is always well submerged for around thirty minutes to an hour..depending on the thickness of the wood? I use a soldering iron secured in a spare table vice to bend my wood..cheap but effective...try a few test bends first on spare wooden strakes, planks ect before diving into the planking for your model..it is not as difficult as it looks..good luck...BigGrin
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
john burgess
#8 Posted : 17 May 2010 12:01:44

Ill give that a try will need to order either match sticks or strips ? P.S Thanks for all your tips.
karl1113
#9 Posted : 20 May 2010 20:54:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

john why not finish as you started? you can buy matchsticks on e-bay.'bout £5 for a 5,000 bag.the I planked my matchstick victory was this, cover your area you want to plank with thin card,as you sort your sticks you will find 50% are not straight,those are the ones I used,cut the gun ports out of the card,then stick your matches on around them.and just fill in the card. whichever way you chose good luck.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
john burgess
#10 Posted : 20 May 2010 22:22:58

Ihave got some matches on order, and would like to get some practice bending them, "MARY ROSE" here in a couple of days which one would you end up doing Karl i reckon enery is a clue he he lol
Dontshootme
#11 Posted : 22 May 2010 11:04:04

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi John,good looking model,hope you finish it.You asked for any ideas on bending matchsticks,my grandad used to make all sorts of things out of matches - farming implements etc etc - always fascinated me aa a kid & I would spend hours watching him.
I seem to remember that when he wanted to bend a match he would get out his beautiful colt foot pocket knife & cut fine v-notches in the back all along its length,depth varied according to how much bend he wanted.
He would then soak them for about 15 mins & then gently massage them into the curve he wanted constantly checking it against its position.
I hope this helps you out a bit.
Now i'm off to wipe the tears from my eyes as it brought back happy childhood memories from long lazy summer holidays in the country.Blushing
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
john burgess
#12 Posted : 22 May 2010 14:26:14

Cheers for that Rob,
Have ordered some more matchsticks due in next couple of days, but have also ordered "MARY ROSE" also due in a couple of days, prob will be more intrested in "MARY ROSE" but i will finish that model some time in near future and great shead a tear about the past cant beat it.

P.S. Like the location I.E. Burnham on Mud...lol. Cheers John.