Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

TV Programmes Options
Tarbrush
#1 Posted : 17 May 2010 19:21:27

Groups: Registered

Hi Shipmates.BigGrin
Tonight Channel 4 is showing @ 20:00 hrs Trafalgar Battle Surgeon. Fact based drama of Trafalgar through the eyes of William Beaty HMS Victory's surgeon.
Followed by Nelson's Hospital a Time Team special looking for & excavating the field cemetry beside the Royal Navy Hospital built in 1746. The hospital closed last year. They hope to show the cause of death of any bodies found.

So put down your models for a couple of hours and enjoy.LOL
Tomick
#2 Posted : 17 May 2010 19:25:55

Groups:

Tarbrush
#3 Posted : 17 May 2010 19:29:45

Fair enough. Didn't check 'cos of short noticeLOL
jonny7england
#4 Posted : 17 May 2010 19:47:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Tarbrush wrote:
Hi Shipmates.BigGrin
Tonight Channel 4 is showing @ 20:00 hrs Trafalgar Battle Surgeon. Fact based drama of Trafalgar through the eyes of William Beaty HMS Victory's surgeon.
Followed by Nelson's Hospital a Time Team special looking for & excavating the field cemetry beside the Royal Navy Hospital built in 1746. The hospital closed last year. They hope to show the cause of death of any bodies found.

Hi mate, I have seen the documentary before but I shall be glued to the screen again tonight as usual, the programme about the old HMS Pickle the other night made good viewing too. But perhaps one of our fellow shipmates can verify this about William Beaty, I'm sure that he was a surgeon serving under Bligh aboard the Bounty. Probably got my wires crossed, but knowing the facts would help? Cheers mate on the info about the programme tonight.. ThumpUp
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
Dontshootme
#5 Posted : 17 May 2010 20:44:21

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

The surgeon on the "Bounty" was John Huggen,Bligh took over as doctor after it was discovered that Huggen was a drunkard.
As part of his concern for his men Bligh invented the 4 hrs on 8 hrs off watchkeeping system as well as a good diet & exercise regime one of the many suspected reasons for his mens dislike of him as they did not appreciate the exercise & different foodstuffs given to them.Although he was portrayed as a "lashing" captain Bligh actually disliked having to sentence men to the lash & only did so when it was absolutely neccessary.
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
snowtiger
#6 Posted : 17 May 2010 22:09:35

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Brings a whole new meaning to the north east saying ..."a night on the lash"LOL LOL LOL
Zeptrader
#7 Posted : 17 May 2010 23:12:18

Groups:

did anyone record this tongiht, I started watching buthad to take some bits up the hospital for my daughter, she has suspected Appendicitis.

then my grandaughter came around so had to turn it over.

Dontshootme
#8 Posted : 18 May 2010 00:53:10

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I was going to record it but decided to watch it instead,otherwise I would have put it on a disc for you.
As an addendum to my earlier post,it seems that Beatty did serve under Bligh as well & was court martialled for disobeying an order but was aquitted,he served with Bligh after the "Bounty" incident.
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
Tarbrush
#9 Posted : 18 May 2010 01:11:58

jonny7england wrote:
Tarbrush wrote:
Hi Shipmates.BigGrin

Hi mate, I have seen the documentary before but I shall be glued to the screen again tonight as usual, the programme about the old HMS Pickle the other night made good viewing too. But perhaps one of our fellow shipmates can verify this about William Beaty, I'm sure that he was a surgeon serving under Bligh aboard the Bounty. Probably got my wires crossed, but knowing the facts would help? Cheers mate on the info about the programme tonight.. ThumpUp

Full marks Jonny, he was, and evidently court marshaled for disobeying an order but got off as his actions were in the patients interest. I think it was covered in the prog. unless I read it somewhere.BigGrin Funny how these facts stick.LOL
philjaps1
#10 Posted : 18 May 2010 01:35:42

Groups:

Zeptrader wrote:
did anyone record this tongiht, I started watching buthad to take some bits up the hospital for my daughter, she has suspected Appendicitis.

then my grandaughter came around so had to turn it over.

Hi, yea I recorded it, do you want a copy?

Phil
bountyhunter_04
#11 Posted : 18 May 2010 02:08:59

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

How humble do i feel after watching "Trafalgar Battle Surgeon"
PROUD TO BE BRITISH
Zeptrader
#12 Posted : 18 May 2010 06:18:39

Groups:

Phil, if you could mate I would love a copy.
john burgess
#13 Posted : 18 May 2010 07:06:07

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

" Colin " i take it you have a computer if you wish to watch it while your waiting for your copy to arrive you can watch it on 4OD " 4 on demand "
If you dont suceed at first go to the pub