Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Warped parts Options
dedworthdog
#1 Posted : 17 May 2010 20:00:55

Groups: Registered

OK warped parts, I have soaked them in water, pressed them between 2 pieces of glass, any of you viewing my web cam may see, amongst the confusion, a printer beneath that are the offending pieces pressed between two glass table mats, once rfemoved after about 24 hours they just go back to the original warpCursing. Any suggestions??????Confused
Follow my build to learn how to make firewood

Jamie
#2 Posted : 17 May 2010 20:17:11

Sorry I ain't got any suggestions Blushing but you are not alone. Mine have done the same Huh and one of them (part 15a to be precise) even re-warped Blink worst than what it was originally once it was glued into the hull former bit and then dry fitted into keel.

So I'd be interested in any ideas too.

I wish I were a glow worm,
A glow worm's never glum,
'Cause how can you be grumpy?
When the sun shines out ya bum!!
dtgray
#3 Posted : 17 May 2010 20:23:31

Yeah I'm in the same boat .... pardon the pun Sad I'm having a lot of problems with a warped part 16 Mad I've soaked it and flattened it several times but it keeps warping again Angry Blink
Regards,

David

Capt Stedders
#4 Posted : 17 May 2010 20:24:55

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I feel your pain.

However...

I stuck my warped bits into a vegetable steamer for a few mins before sticking them between two bits of glass, a couple of bits of hardboard and two wooden blocks before clamping the whole kaboodle together with some heavy duty clamps.

I then walked away and left things for a couple of weeks

Once released they seemed to be behaving themselves but, just to be sure, the offending / rehabilitated (?) parts joined the increasing pile of hull formers under two sheets of glass and some hardboard which then had two full five litre paint cans stuck on top... just to be sure... you know..

Paranoid?

Moi?

Schnellboots on back burner

Tools.

magpie1832
#5 Posted : 17 May 2010 21:02:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Mine are the same... Parts 15,12 and 8. I soaked them in warm water for 2 hours then left them for a week under a marble choppping board, stayed flat for a day then double warp.. I then used a damp tea towel and ironed them flat. while hot I put them under chopping board again til cold then glued parts 8-11 onto part 12 while clamped down. The warp is now gone on 12 but 15 is terrible. Tried alsorts to sort it out but stuck.. ...Cursing Cursing Cursing
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

snowtiger
#6 Posted : 17 May 2010 22:07:25

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I also had probs with warping ....my cure and it worker was a damp tea-towel and a steam iron......worked a treat ....if it springs back ....then do it again.....the glue in the ply softens and becomes more workable.....hope this works for you as well....BigGrin BigGrin
stevew
#7 Posted : 18 May 2010 22:09:15

snowtiger wrote:
I also had probs with warping ....my cure and it worker was a damp tea-towel and a steam iron......worked a treat ....if it springs back ....then do it again.....the glue in the ply softens and becomes more workable.....hope this works for you as well....BigGrin BigGrin

Snowtiger,

did you soak first?

was it a case of placing the offending article on something flat then placing t-towel on top then ironing, how long did you iron for?
snowtiger
#8 Posted : 19 May 2010 10:34:02

Hi Steve no i did not soak first...straight in with damp tea-towel and steam iron...i have found that steaming is better than soaking...because the heat softens the glue ....and with the wood being that much more dry ...i get to see the results quicker...i have had to do that several times on a very warped piece ....but it turned out o.k in the end....hope this helpsBigGrin

john...
stevew
#9 Posted : 19 May 2010 10:44:07

snowtiger wrote:
Hi Steve no i did not soak first...straight in with damp tea-towel and steam iron...i have found that steaming is better than soaking...because the heat softens the glue ....and with the wood being that much more dry ...i get to see the results quicker...i have had to do that several times on a very warped piece ....but it turned out o.k in the end....hope this helpsBigGrin

john...

Cheers John,

I currently have a warped part drying off, I will see how that looks at the weekend, if it's still bent I'll give your method a go :)

Steve