Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Which tank?????? Options
S2ksean
#1 Posted : 12 February 2013 13:25:07

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I've never done a tank before but I'm really interested in doing one so I need your help guys so I no which is best. It needs to be...........

-Detailed with the possibility of extras (etch,metal barrol etc)
-Gotta be a decent size
-cant cost the earth

These are my requirements. All help is really appreciated guys and all suggestions are welcome
CURRENT BUILDS

Mclaren MP4-23
Ford 1/12 Shelby Mustang GT500 2010
HMS Pandora
Nemesis
#2 Posted : 12 February 2013 13:32:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Tamiya Tiger or Panther. Decent size, easy to build with Tamiya quality and good price and loads of goodies available,P.E sets, barrel kits and metal tracks and more!!BigGrin
jase
#3 Posted : 12 February 2013 14:32:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Yes Tamiya are a good easy build, but they are increasingly eclipsed by the detail of other companies. Dragon will offer you a more realistic build and often contain metal barrles and etch parts. I would suggest a Panther or a Tiger 1 or 2 also as a good start. or if you wanted to do a quick 'kit bash' to cut your teeth try a Hetzer - a lot less wheel assembly BigGrin

J
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
moriarty
#4 Posted : 12 February 2013 17:59:22

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

If I were you, I would have a good look at the boxes and when you see it you will want it. Then if you have never done one before, build it straight from the box. When you have completed and you are chuffed to bits with it then start looking for the add ons that will make it look better. And then you build it againLaugh cos them add ons can in a lot of cases triple the initial cost of the kitLaugh BigGrin
HMS Surprise
HMS Snake
HMS Bounty
HMS Royal Caroline
HMS Victory rebuild
HMS Supply
S2ksean
#5 Posted : 26 February 2013 21:16:57

Thank u for the advice guys. I decided to get the tamiya tiger (mid production) tank and il be posting a build dairy aswell
CURRENT BUILDS

Mclaren MP4-23
HMS Pandora
Nemesis
#6 Posted : 26 February 2013 21:29:08

Excellent choice!!BigGrin Wait till you get it done, you,ll have a stash in no time and be looking for all the extras!!!!!!Flapper LOL BigGrin BigGrin
Looking forward to seeing you build diary!!BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
S2ksean
#7 Posted : 26 February 2013 21:38:23

Thx nemesis I'm gonna do this one from the box as moriarty suggested just I can get a feel for it then il start looking into other kits and add etch and other extras
CURRENT BUILDS

Mclaren MP4-23
HMS Pandora
jase
#8 Posted : 26 February 2013 22:16:20

S2ksean wrote:
Thx nemesis I'm gonna do this one from the box as moriarty suggested just I can get a feel for it then il start looking into other kits and add etch and other extras

Good luck will be interested to see how you get on, your kit of choice is very nice.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
yamaska
#9 Posted : 27 February 2013 01:41:44

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good choice going with Tamiya. They probably make the most straight forward models and the clearest instructions. I would steer clear of Dragon for at least a couple of builds since they are very fiddly and the instructions are awful. If ever you decide to build a Sherman to go with your Tiger check out TASCA since they are a step up from Tamiya and particularly all their Shermans are very nice.
Good luck
John