Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Santisima Trinidad - NOW ON SALE! Options
Tomick
#1 Posted : 14 February 2013 14:00:09

Groups:

Santisima Trinidad

The Nuestra Senora de la Santisima Trinidad (meaning ‘Our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity’) was originally built as a 3 deck 120-gun ship. She was built and launched in Havana in 1769, and was considerably larger than her British contemporary HMS Victory.
In 1795 her forecastle was joined to her quarterdeck, and a light battery of eight pounder guns mounted, thus creating a distinctive 'four-deck' appearance and the number of cannon increased to 136, she was reputed to be the largest warship in the world. But although this change made her look most impressive, it also considerably worsened her sailing qualities and stability, and therefore tended to be a liability in battle rather than an advantage. She was the heaviest-armed ship in the world when rebuilt, and bore the most guns of any ship of the line.

Trinidad was an obvious 'trophy' and the British made very determined attempts to capture her. She was an unforgettable sight., according to Lieutenant William Lovell serving on HMS Neptune at Trafalgar, "besides Trinidad having four gun decks, her sides were painted, with four distinct lines of red, with a white ribbon between them".

Having participated in an action off Cape Spartel in 1782, her first large-scale battle was off Cape St Vincent in 1797. Here she was under fire for five hours, at one time with four British ships at once, and was very severely damaged, with an appalling casualty list. But she escaped capture, was repaired, and reconstructed with the extra gunports that brought her total armament to 136 guns.
In this guise she was again very heavily engaged in the Battle of Trafalgar.

This time, Trinidad was less fortunate. She was once again set upon by a concentration of British ships and eventually surrendered to HMS Neptune, commanded by Nelson's close friend Captain Thomas Fremantle.
HMS Prince took Trinidad in tow and headed for Gilbralter to exhibit the ship as a trophy, but in her damaged condition, with water in the hold, the great storm after the battle sealed the fate of one of the greatest ship's in the world, the Trinidad sank.

The wreck is believed to have been discovered in 2009:

http://www.km.kongsberg....AB0039A2D9?OpenDocument

The Santísima Trinidad remains famous as being the only four-deck 1st rate ship of the line ever built which was reputedly the largest in the world, thus making the Santisima Trinidad an interesting subject to model.

The partwork model:

Scale: 1:90 Length: 1060mm, Height: 876mm, Beam: 415mm

Manufacture: Occre

Kit features plank-on-fame construction, water-jet cut parts, walnut & beech hull planking, burnished metal gun carriages & gun ports, brass chain, die-cast transom & figurehead, photo-etched brass, fittings & ornamentation are faithful reproductions of the originals, assorted rigging threads, stitched sail set and silk-screened flags.

Other information:

A unique 1/25 four-metre-long scale replica was completed in 2012, which has interior details exposed on one side of the vessel. Visitors use a touch screen to take a virtual tour of the ship. The model is on display at the Castillo de la Real Fuerza in Havana:

http://www.friendsofsant...atrinidad.org/index.htm

A full-size representation of Trinidad can be seen and visited in the harbour of Alicante. In 2006 a merchant ship was fitted out to mimic the appearance of Trinidad, therefore not being a true replica. The original steel hull was given a coating of wood strakes, masts added along with a stern gallery, deck furniture and the rigging. The original engine was retained, making the boat able to cruise around the vicinity of Malaga. When moored she is used as a floating restaurant:

http://agallonfullofinfo...spanish-galleon-in.html

Artesania Latina produce a 1/50 Santisima Trinidad Captains Launch kit.
Tomick attached the following image(s):
trinidad_stampa_01.jpg
ST DeA image.gif
Geoff Hunt San Trinidad painting.jpg
MWG
#2 Posted : 14 February 2013 15:19:01

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi MR T what a beautiful shipDrool one to put along side the Victory, It would make a great dioramaBigGrin kind regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Tomick
#3 Posted : 14 February 2013 15:44:42

Groups:

[b]A Trinidad Cross-section build is also included as part of the series.

The Santisima Trinidad series is only available via ModelSpace subscription.
The cost for each despatch of 5 parts sets is £30 per month including P+P, (33 despatches in total). Instructions will be provided via a monthly download for each despatch.

Tomick attached the following image(s):
trinidad_stampa_02.jpg
Virtue86
#4 Posted : 14 February 2013 15:58:50

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looks like a potentially great kit and i do agree with MWG it would look great alongside Victory but to make a Diorama you would need to live in a mansion or dedicate a room to it at least. BigGrin LOL Huh
Cheers
Peter

Current builds: Amati 1:200 Hood; D51 200
Bought and on the waiting list: HMS Endeavour's Longboat, 1:90 San Juan Nepomuceno, Titanic Lifeboat,1:200 Bismarck Strip and Rebuild
[b]Built:1:250 Titanic

moriarty
#5 Posted : 15 February 2013 00:55:43

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Aww jeeze, I am seriously gonna have to think about this one. Dont know if I can hack it over 30 odd months and I might not live that longLaugh . But would I love to build it, you betcha,but where would I put it? The Victory would have to go thats a certaintyCrying
HMS Surprise
HMS Snake
HMS Bounty
HMS Royal Caroline
HMS Victory rebuild
HMS Supply
Castos
#6 Posted : 15 February 2013 03:27:02

Thanks Mr T.

Now I have to wait for it to go on sale in South Africa. Still waiting for an answer from Jacklin Enterprises about the launch date for the SotS.

Regards

Andre
Current Build: HMS Victory

Built: HMS Bounty

Next Build: Sovereign of the Seas Started collecting. Redrawing of plans for Santisima Trinidad for a scratchbuild. Santisima Trinidad - waiting for launch.

mabel7064
#7 Posted : 15 February 2013 20:17:39

I do like the sound of this series and I think is very well priced but my concern is the quaility of the instructions that come with it,

Are you able to confirm that they are not the PDF type that was supplied with the Cutty Sark? and are infact proper clear instructions?

Regards May,
RobT
#8 Posted : 15 February 2013 21:26:59

The fact that is 165 issues means I am pretty sure it will be a magazine series with instructions similar to the Victory or SOTS.

165 issues!!!!

Must be a mammoth build.

RobT
#9 Posted : 15 February 2013 21:51:25

I will be giving it a miss. It looks fantastic for sure, but this is serious ammunition for the papers to knock DeAg with.

They are asking nearly £1000 for a model that is £365 complete. That's too much of a difference for me i'm afraid.
Tomick
#10 Posted : 15 February 2013 22:11:09

Groups:

mabel7064 wrote:
I do like the sound of this series and I think is very well priced but my concern is the quaility of the instructions that come with it,

Are you able to confirm that they are not the PDF type that was supplied with the Cutty Sark? and are infact proper clear instructions?

Regards May,

Hi May,

The instructions are via a monthly download rather than an actual magazine.

The instructions are far better than those of the Sark as they are from the original Trinidad magazine series, where as the Sark has never been a magazine partwork as such and its instructions a translation of the Artesania instructions, which I agree are not great but certainly better than those of the Artesania manual.

The Trinidad instructions are very similar to those of San Felipe which I think Karl will confirm are good.
Tomick
#11 Posted : 15 February 2013 22:14:47

Groups:

RobT wrote:
The fact that is 165 issues means I am pretty sure it will be a magazine series with instructions similar to the Victory or SOTS.

165 issues!!!!

Must be a mammoth build.

Its not a magazine series as such as noted above.

Its not much more of a mammoth build than that of the Victory and its Cross-section,only by 15 parts sets in total.
mabel7064
#12 Posted : 15 February 2013 22:26:06

Tomick wrote:
mabel7064 wrote:

Regards May,

Hi May,

The instructions are via a monthly download rather than an actual magazine.

The instructions are far better than those of the Sark as they are from the original Trinidad magazine series, where as the Sark has never been a magazine partwork as such and its instructions a translation of the Artesania instructions, which I agree are not great but certainly better than those of the Artesania manual.

The Trinidad instructions are very similar to those of San Felipe which I think Karl will confirm are good.

Thank you Tomick, She's such a beautiful looking vessel that I just have to sign up!!!!!

I'm not to sure about the cross section as I don't really like them in general so I'll probably pass on that bit, but I look forward to starting the main build,

Do you have any idea on realeas dates?

Regards May

arpurchase
#13 Posted : 15 February 2013 23:08:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM I was seriously considering the SOS or The Surprise as a next build but this one is for me I thinkCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#14 Posted : 15 February 2013 23:44:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Pity, but think this one will be well down the pecking order.... doing SOTS, Subscribing to Vic, want to do X section, Cutty Sark, Suprise... by that time I will be around 80.....LOL LOL One to think of though....

Regards

Alan
moriarty
#15 Posted : 15 February 2013 23:53:45

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Still considering, think I will go for an ECG, see if I,m gonna live that longCrying Laugh BigGrin
HMS Surprise
HMS Snake
HMS Bounty
HMS Royal Caroline
HMS Victory rebuild
HMS Supply
Wilfy the Sea Dog
#16 Posted : 16 February 2013 00:11:10

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looks great, but I think I might have to give this one a miss.

I've still got Yamato, Surprise, Hood & Caldercraft Victory plus I picked up Hachette Lancaster & Titantic for a couple hundred each!

Also numermous plastic kits & am getting my Trumpeter Bismarck tomorrow! Blink

Hope I live to 150!

Wilfy
jase
#17 Posted : 16 February 2013 07:29:47

Wilfy the Sea Dog wrote:
Looks great, but I think I might have to give this one a miss.

I've still got Yamato, Surprise, Hood & Caldercraft Victory plus I picked up Hachette Lancaster & Titantic for a couple hundred each!

Also numermous plastic kits & am getting my Trumpeter Bismarck tomorrow! Blink

Hope I live to 150!

Wilfy

Ha ha ha yes you do have a bit to go at but she does look splendid. I have decided I will have two plastic two wood builds which means I have space for 1 more woodLaugh Cool
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Castos
#18 Posted : 18 February 2013 07:19:34

Thanks for the update.

I will definitely be going for both the SotS and the ST. Will collect as they become available, put into storage to be saved for a rainy day (retirement).

Regards
Current Build: HMS Victory

Built: HMS Bounty

Next Build: Sovereign of the Seas Started collecting. Redrawing of plans for Santisima Trinidad for a scratchbuild. Santisima Trinidad - waiting for launch.

Tomick
#19 Posted : 18 February 2013 14:36:03

Groups:

Looks like the early 120 gun ST plans are available here..

http://www.bestshipmodel...info&products_id=12

And free plans of the 4-deck version here (though obviously not based on actual plans for the 4 deck version).

http://santisima-trinidad.astillero.net/
val ellams
#20 Posted : 18 February 2013 20:16:58

mr t if you are doing a build diary on st then i could be tempted, as it looks awesome val.